Diezel Herbert vs. Friedman Smallbox

MrFlexx

I used to own a Diezel Herbert MKII that I sold about 1 1/2 years ago due to it being faulty, but I can't seem to make peace with myself about it. I've only had the chance to try it out for one day before it started to sound bad.
But I remember the WOW-feeling I got when hitting the strings...especially the thin E-string that sounded massive which I've never heard before.

Today I own a Friedman Smallbox which is a great amp, but I can't get the Herbert out of my head. Any of you guys been trying both of this amps and care to share your opinion about their differences? I know that the Herbert can do more than metal which is great because I'm no metal guy.

I play a lot in style of Doug Rappoport, Steve Stevens, Neal Schon, George Lynch, Doug Aldrich and Paul Gilbert. I know they're all Marshall sounding guys, but isn't the Herbert a Swizz knife enough to cover those areas, maybe with some additional pedals? I love the clips of Andy Wood noodling with the Herbert. He makes it sound violin like...really smooth and still he can make the attack enormous...all from varying the attack of the picking hand.

I know the Herbert won’t do the Smallbox stuff as good because of its voicing, but maybe it can be close enough? What I’m after is a versatile amp that covers all from jazz, blues, hard rock to Dream Theatre. Will the Herbert do? Maybe Peter can modify it a bit?

And yes, it's my old Herbert on my avatar. Best looking amp!

Hi,

I started out playing metal, now im studying jazz. If its jazz, funk, rock, metal.......Herbert has always delivered. I couldnt be more happy that i got it back then.

Now a days i play 80% jazz, so im on CH.1 and their is no need for anything else, even with the EMG 808 im using.

Good luck.

Robert

Don't have a Smallbox, but Herbert's versatility astounds me every day. As long as you aren't expecting it to sound like a Marshall (or a Smallbox), which it doesn't sound like you are, I think you'd be very satisfied with the Herbert.

I took the bull by the horns and placed an order of the Diezel Herbert today. Will trade in my Friedman Smallbox and up some cash. It should be delivered to me by the end of the next week. I'm so excited :rock:

Congrats! Herbert is amazing.
I’ve played a Smallbox, cool amp. Herbert is much more modern as you know.
You should be able to find any tone you need on it, but in the Diezel flavor :thumbsup:

Congrats on your choice, Diezel satisfies!!!

Don’t get me wrong, I dig the Friedman stuff as well, have some heads that I have a ton of fun playing.
Dave really has a knack for getting excellent tones.

That said, Diezel is just a TOTALLY different animal. Not really apples to apples. Voice is completely different from a Friedman.
I have my Herbert and there’d have to be some act of higher power to get me to sell it.
Honestly, with the great new pedals out there these days, you could set up a killer clean tone on Herbert’s Channel 1 or Channel 2- for that matter, and have your “Marshall-y” tones also.
Friedman makes a good variety of pedals that actually deliver, IMO.

I would definitely try the BE-OD pedal and the Dirty Shirley into Herbert. Now that I think about it, that’s a damn good idea, LOL. <kicks self for not thinking of this sooner>

Anyway, enjoy :thumbsup:

GtarLover":khnx25xy said:
Congrats on your choice, Diezel satisfies!!!

Don’t get me wrong, I dig the Friedman stuff as well, have some heads that I have a ton of fun playing.
Dave really has a knack for getting excellent tones.

That said, Diezel is just a TOTALLY different animal. Not really apples to apples. Voice is completely different from a Friedman.
I have my Herbert and there’d have to be some act of higher power to get me to sell it.
Honestly, with the great new pedals out there these days, you could set up a killer clean tone on Herbert’s Channel 1 or Channel 2- for that matter, and have your “Marshall-y” tones also.
Friedman makes a good variety of pedals that actually deliver, IMO.

I would definitely try the BE-OD pedal and the Dirty Shirley into Herbert. Now that I think about it, that’s a damn good idea, LOL. <kicks self for not thinking of this sooner>
Anyway, enjoy :thumbsup:
I used to own both of those pedals and they’re killers. Amazing tones, especially the Dirty Shirley and I will most definitely buy it again once my Herbert arrives. For the Marshall sound I think I’ll get the Bogner La Grange again. It’s an amazing pedal for Marshall sounds

MrFlexx":1o7j3cga said:
I took the bull by the horns and placed an order of the Diezel Herbert today. Will trade in my Friedman Smallbox and up some cash. It should be delivered to me by the end of the next week. I'm so excited :rock:

Good decision.

The Herbert is a great sounding amp regardless of style. And very versatile. I'm sure you will more than suitable tones in it for your needs.

:thumbsup:

Back