Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Fri, Jul 20, 2018 7:08pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu, Mar 29, 2018 2:43am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 205
Are you human?: 951
I've just got myself a Herbert and with the Diezel cab it sounds awesome if it's a bit louder than "allowed" in an apartment. If I play at bedroom level it all sounds thin and fizzy without any bottom and I know it’s because the Herbert need a bit of a volume before it starts to sound as it supposed to. Therefore I'm using a Suhr Reactive with Ownhammer IR's for recording and noodling around. The problem is that it sounds all thin and grainy…just like the Herbert sounds playing with a real cab at whispering low volume. Any of you guys been trying to record a Herbert using IR's? The reason I'm asking is because my Friedman Smallbox, ENGL Retro Tube 100 and ENGL Powerball II sounds as the real deal using this setup. But no matter how I try using EQ's and various Impulse Responses, it still sounds thin, grainy with no punch or tightness.
Maybe the Herbert doesn't record well using IR's, or? I’d like to record it using my real cab and mics...but it's too loud for my whining neighbors...and for my daughter when it's her bedtime.
Any ideas or suggestions? Will an attenuator do the trick for recording at whispering volumes while retaining the full body tone? I know it won’t move some air, but I just want the tone to be as good as it can be at low volumes as with my other amps.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Mar 29, 2018 7:05am 
Offline
Diezel Amplification
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jul 02, 2006 5:43am
Posts: 4746
Are you human?: 951
Where do you get the signal from the Herbert ?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Mar 29, 2018 7:36am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 205
Are you human?: 951
Peter Diezel wrote:
Where do you get the signal from the Herbert ?

I've connect the speaker out (8 ohm) to my Suhr Reactive load 8 ohm input. Line level out of the Suhr Reactive Load to my RME UCX.
I've also tried using the compensated out to my RME UCX and even the Loop Send to my RME UCX...and of cause I have the Suhr Reactive Load connected all the time for load.

Using the Loop Send sounds a bit less fizzy, but still not good. The strange thing is that my ENGL's and Friedman sounded accetable using any of this setups...and the Herbert kills these amps with a real cab...so it might be obvious that it should sound at least as good using IR's if not better.

I will try using the real Diezel cab as load and using the compensated out and the Loop Send to my RME UCX to see if it sounds better.


Last edited by MrFlexx on Tue, Apr 03, 2018 12:05am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, Mar 29, 2018 9:26am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 205
Are you human?: 951
There was obviously some shit behind the wheels (in other words ME) The inputs was too hot! I lowered the output of the Suhr Reactive Load and the input on the RME UFX from -9dB to -18dB and then the input of Torpedo Wall of Sound to -15dB and the output to -15dB and voila! Instant awesomeness! My other amps are rated to 50w and 100w and obviously I should lower the inputs and outputs to match the Herbert’s higher wattage. Again a big thanks to Peter offering his help when I have some questions. Best service ever!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Apr 01, 2018 6:36pm 
Offline
Hack
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Oct 26, 2016 2:02pm
Posts: 31
Are you human?: 951
you might be missing something I have suhr reactive load and herbert must say it sounds exactly like mic-ed cab, herbert is very easy to record, straight forward amp and very often I use suhr with herbert plugged in with master volume set very low to sustain tubes life and practice dead silent.

here is example


Attachments:
test.mp3 [572.41 KiB]
Downloaded 62 times
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Apr 03, 2018 12:04am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 205
Are you human?: 951
belensky wrote:
you might be missing something I have suhr reactive load and herbert must say it sounds exactly like mic-ed cab, herbert is very easy to record, straight forward amp and very often I use suhr with herbert plugged in with master volume set very low to sustain tubes life and practice dead silent.

here is example


Can you share your signal patch and settings of the Herbert...and the what IR's you're using...the whole thing...so I can try them out on my rig?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Apr 03, 2018 3:54am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Nov 09, 2010 5:06am
Posts: 192
Are you human?: 951
Hi man

your sounds sound exactly the same way as when we tried using the suhr reactive load to feed the in ear monitoring signal in one of our rehearsals.
Are you sure you are bypassing the in built IR that comes stock with the suhr? Cause it sounds exactly the same way as when we tried it.

I bet it's engaged and it's therefore making a tonal imprint on your overall sound or there's something else with what signal you feed from the suhr reactive and which input you use on the UCX.

There's a difference between using balanced and inbalanced outs from the Suhr. I'm guessing here folks here may tell you exactly how to use it.
I've had loads of issues when I was trying to play at home using VSTs and IRs only to find out that it was my signal lacking the appropriate qualities due to HW missing or wrong inputs/output types used.

best of luck


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Apr 03, 2018 4:46am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB

Joined: Fri, Jan 05, 2018 10:31am
Posts: 155
Are you human?: 951
What's interesting is that I have a similar issue when using a EWS subtle volume control passive volume knob in the serial loop of my Herbert. It works perfectly with my VH4- i'm able to turn the volume pedal almost all the way down, and then crank my VH4 MV to 12, and CV to 11 and get nice bedroom volumes.

Meanwhile, the same volume pedal setting on my Herbert becomes thin and grainy, sounds like fizz, and the whole bottom end is gone. I have to turn the pedal up a pretty big amount to get the tone back, but then I can only turn my MV a hair notch, even with my CV super low.

_________________
Diezel for days :rock: :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed, Apr 04, 2018 3:13pm 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 205
Are you human?: 951
K-Roll wrote:
Hi man

your sounds sound exactly the same way as when we tried using the suhr reactive load to feed the in ear monitoring signal in one of our rehearsals.
Are you sure you are bypassing the in built IR that comes stock with the suhr? Cause it sounds exactly the same way as when we tried it.

I bet it's engaged and it's therefore making a tonal imprint on your overall sound or there's something else with what signal you feed from the suhr reactive and which input you use on the UCX.

There's a difference between using balanced and inbalanced outs from the Suhr. I'm guessing here folks here may tell you exactly how to use it.
I've had loads of issues when I was trying to play at home using VSTs and IRs only to find out that it was my signal lacking the appropriate qualities due to HW missing or wrong inputs/output types used.

best of luck


The Suhr Reactive Load doesn't have a built in IR


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, Apr 06, 2018 6:05am 
Offline
Hack
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Oct 26, 2016 2:02pm
Posts: 31
Are you human?: 951
MrFlexx wrote:
belensky wrote:
you might be missing something I have suhr reactive load and herbert must say it sounds exactly like mic-ed cab, herbert is very easy to record, straight forward amp and very often I use suhr with herbert plugged in with master volume set very low to sustain tubes life and practice dead silent.

here is example


Can you share your signal patch and settings of the Herbert...and the what IR's you're using...the whole thing...so I can try them out on my rig?


Nothing special everything at 12 o’clock, owhammer IR of Diezel FL with Eminence Governor speakers. Universal audio Apollo, Logic Pro x, music man JP7 BFR.

Be careful with master volume, suhr reactive load is rated around 100w(I think inside there 200w resistors), Herbert 180, so I personally (with suhr) never crank it louder than 1 o’clock on master volume, with real 412 cab it’s very loud, drummer can’t hear himself in rehearsal situation.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, Apr 07, 2018 1:11am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 205
Are you human?: 951
belensky wrote:
MrFlexx wrote:
belensky wrote:
you might be missing something I have suhr reactive load and herbert must say it sounds exactly like mic-ed cab, herbert is very easy to record, straight forward amp and very often I use suhr with herbert plugged in with master volume set very low to sustain tubes life and practice dead silent.

here is example


Can you share your signal patch and settings of the Herbert...and the what IR's you're using...the whole thing...so I can try them out on my rig?


Nothing special everything at 12 o’clock, owhammer IR of Diezel FL with Eminence Governor speakers. Universal audio Apollo, Logic Pro x, music man JP7 BFR.

Be careful with master volume, suhr reactive load is rated around 100w(I think inside there 200w resistors), Herbert 180, so I personally (with suhr) never crank it louder than 1 o’clock on master volume, with real 412 cab it’s very loud, drummer can’t hear himself in rehearsal situation.


I’ve been really careful about the volume. Never had the Master above 10 o’clock with the channel volume on 1 o’clock using the Suhr Reactive.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group - Terms of Use