Running Herbert with 4 or 2 tubes?

MrFlexx

Is it possible to run the Herbert with 4 tubes or maybe as low as 2 tubes for easier bedroom noodling?

Yes it’s possible but it makes very little difference in volume.
I’ve tried Herbert with an attenuator(rock crusher), honestly the (amazing) master volume alone
sounded better and the amp was just as quiet.
I think with Herbert the main difference you hear with increased volume
Is that the speakers start working more.
Until they start working a bit the sound will be flatter / more 2D sounding.
Not the amps fault.

I lived in an apartment when I first got into Diezel amps ... yeah it did suck for practice.
Not because it sounded bad, it’s ok, just not as good as it could.
Like a driving around a tow truck with your Porsche behind it.
You could possibly try an ISO cab or a direct recording load box then listen through
Monitors or headphones?
Never tried either , just some ideas..

rickenbacker198":3o9b5ktd said:
Yes it’s possible but it makes very little difference in volume.
I’ve tried Herbert with an attenuator(rock crusher), honestly the (amazing) master volume alone
sounded better and the amp was just as quiet.
I think with Herbert the main difference you hear with increased volume
Is that the speakers start working more.
Until they start working a bit the sound will be flatter / more 2D sounding.
Not the amps fault.

I lived in an apartment when I first got into Diezel amps ... yeah it did suck for practice.
Not because it sounded bad, it’s ok, just not as good as it could.
Like a driving around a tow truck with your Porsche behind it.
You could possibly try an ISO cab or a direct recording load box then listen through
Monitors or headphones?
Never tried either , just some ideas..
Today I'm playing a lot using using a load box and direct recording and it sounds great. I agree that the Master Volume is great...I just thought it would make a major difference when using 2 tubes instead of 6. In my world I thought the 180w from using 6 tubes would get me like a third of the volume using a third of the tubes. Clearly I got it wrong if it doesn't work that way in reality. I'll be trying out a Torpedo Reload later today and will try the attenuator of it and see what I Think about using an attenuator with the Herbert.

4 tubes won’t change volume that much, but rest 4 tubes and output transformer won’t work in optimal mode.

belensky":2s64e9bt said:
4 tubes won’t change volume that much, but rest 4 tubes and output transformer won’t work in optimal mode.
Ah...ok...not an option then. I tried lowering the channel volume and got some great results. So all the tubes stays in the amp. Thanks for your input.

Back