Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, May 24, 2018 3:01am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed, May 09, 2018 3:33am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 196
Are you human?: 951
Been reading a lot about the Synergy Amps and from the clips I've Heard on the Internet, it sounds great. I know that the Herbert doesn't take pedals very well, and to be honest I really would like to know why...but how will it work with the Synergy Amps?
Will it sound as bad as with standard Overdrives or will it in fact sound great? Has anyone tried it out on a Herbert, or what's your opinion about it?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed, May 09, 2018 5:34am 
Offline
Hack
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Oct 26, 2016 2:02pm
Posts: 30
Are you human?: 951
MrFlexx wrote:
I know that the Herbert doesn't take pedals very well, and to be honest I really would like to know why...


because its already sounds great :) it can't be any better. It's Like Pizza, you have particular components that make Quattro formagi taste great, but add there ketchup, tuna, meat, olives – all together its going to taste bad.
some amps need pedals in front and it make them sound better, some doesn't and it make no difference or even make them sound worse.
some food need ketchup, with other you killing the taste.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed, May 09, 2018 5:00pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Sat, May 06, 2017 4:21pm
Posts: 559
Location: Texas
Are you human?: 951
The synergy stuff will plug into your effects return of your amp, they basically would just use your power amp section. So they will not suffer the same fate as your OD pedals that you are plugging into the front end of your amp.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, May 10, 2018 5:25pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Tue, May 25, 2010 10:31am
Posts: 339
Location: Cary, NC
Are you human?: 951
MrFlexx wrote:
Been reading a lot about the Synergy Amps and from the clips I've Heard on the Internet, it sounds great. I know that the Herbert doesn't take pedals very well, and to be honest I really would like to know why...but how will it work with the Synergy Amps?
Will it sound as bad as with standard Overdrives or will it in fact sound great? Has anyone tried it out on a Herbert, or what's your opinion about it?


I think the Herbert takes pedals very well. What pedals are you using it with?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, May 11, 2018 2:29am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 196
Are you human?: 951
Been trying SD-1, XTS Multi Precision Overdrive, Rockbox Boiling Point “The expensive one”, Suhr Koko Boost, Suhr Shiba, Wanpler Tumnus, Wampler Tumnus Deluxe, Rockbox Baby Blues, Mesa Grid Slammer and none did it with the Herbert. But all of these works on my Marshall JMP 2203, Friedman Smallbox, Mesa Mark V, Elmwood M90, ENGL Retro Tube 100 and ENGL Powerball II. I’m a bit surprised that you say the Herbert takes pedals well because of all the reading I’ve done about it not taking pedals well here on the forum. But I can’t find any stated reason to why it doesn’t take pedals well. I’m just curious why and if this is only the Herbert or if it’s Diezels in general?

Forgot to mention that the Rockbox Boiling Point on Boost mode with just a hair of gain sounds amazing on the clean channel. It adds something magic to it. It’s almost always on when using the clean channel.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, May 11, 2018 1:07pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Tue, May 25, 2010 10:31am
Posts: 339
Location: Cary, NC
Are you human?: 951
So you are talking specifically about overdrives into ch 2 & 3 then? Running any one of those (some better than others) into Ch 1 is pretty awesome. Also, most of those tubescreamer types of circuits add a mid-hump due to cutting of low and highs. The low end is so significant in the Herbert that you won't get the same effect as you would in your Marshall style amps.

I've had most of the OD's you mention and they are mostly TS-style circuits. They will have minimal impact on the Herbert's distorted tone. The one OD I favor with Ch 2 of the Herbert is the Maxon OD808 ($90 on Reverb). For my ears and style of play, the Maxon is the best OD into a distorted amp (Marshall amps too!).

The other thing you can do is to modify your tone with a parametric eq instead of an OD. I have an Empress ParaEQ running in the loop of my Herbert when I want to add/cut frequencies. It has cured GAS many times when I think that I can't squeeze desired tones out of the Herbert.

BTW - I think the Synergy stuff into the loop of the Herbert would also be quite good


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri, May 11, 2018 8:08pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Aug 27, 2016 2:38pm
Posts: 1421
Are you human?: 951
MrFlexx wrote:
Been trying SD-1, XTS Multi Precision Overdrive, Rockbox Boiling Point “The expensive one”, Suhr Koko Boost, Suhr Shiba, Wanpler Tumnus, Wampler Tumnus Deluxe, Rockbox Baby Blues, Mesa Grid Slammer and none did it with the Herbert. But all of these works on my Marshall JMP 2203, Friedman Smallbox, Mesa Mark V, Elmwood M90, ENGL Retro Tube 100 and ENGL Powerball II. I’m a bit surprised that you say the Herbert takes pedals well because of all the reading I’ve done about it not taking pedals well here on the forum. But I can’t find any stated reason to why it doesn’t take pedals well. I’m just curious why and if this is only the Herbert or if it’s Diezels in general?

Forgot to mention that the Rockbox Boiling Point on Boost mode with just a hair of gain sounds amazing on the clean channel. It adds something magic to it. It’s almost always on when using the clean channel.


I thought the Herbert I had sounded absolutely phenomenal when "clean" boosted with a Ts9 :dunno:

_________________
"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry



Good transactions with: JerEvil>>apophis>>DragonCrestPC>>hammered>>Hardvalve>>lowmantotempole>>FLYINRYAN11>>bwgintegra


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 12, 2018 5:06am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 196
Are you human?: 951
Just to clear thing up...I’m talking about boosting ch2 and ch3. The clean channel sounds great with most pedals.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat, May 12, 2018 8:19am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Aug 27, 2016 2:38pm
Posts: 1421
Are you human?: 951
^^ yep I'm talking about Ch 2 & 3 also.

_________________
"Give me liberty, or give me Death" Patrick Henry



Good transactions with: JerEvil>>apophis>>DragonCrestPC>>hammered>>Hardvalve>>lowmantotempole>>FLYINRYAN11>>bwgintegra


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, May 17, 2018 2:54am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 196
Are you human?: 951
CrazyNutz wrote:
The synergy stuff will plug into your effects return of your amp, they basically would just use your power amp section. So they will not suffer the same fate as your OD pedals that you are plugging into the front end of your amp.

Great! Time to save up then.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu, May 17, 2018 2:55am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 196
Are you human?: 951
MetalHeadMike wrote:
^^ yep I'm talking about Ch 2 & 3 also.

Maybe I should try out the TS9 with the Herbert then.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group