Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sun, Aug 19, 2018 4:37pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue, Jun 19, 2018 5:46am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 205
Are you human?: 951
I’m owning a Herbert MKII and been asked to trade a Hagen for it. I like the Herbert but open for other Diezel’s. The thing is I haven’t tried the Hagen and may not be able to try it out before doing the trade.
So my question is in what way the two amps differ (sound wise) and what/why you think is better or worse between the two. I’m a little tempted in the trade du to the Hagen have lower watt.

Please help me out making the right choice.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jun 19, 2018 6:49am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Jun 26, 2008 7:20am
Posts: 270
Location: Germany
Are you human?: 951
Hagen is more raw, less compressed, less tight and surgical/linear compared to Herbert.

To me it depends on how you like your mids and how "touch sensitive" you want the amp to react.

_________________
Markus

"A universe not without end but with an infinite number of endings."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jun 19, 2018 8:35am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 205
Are you human?: 951
MourningEngine wrote:
Hagen is more raw, less compressed, less tight and surgical/linear compared to Herbert.

To me it depends on how you like your mids and how "touch sensitive" you want the amp to react.

More raw and less compressed sounds nice. Touch sensitivity is nice and I hope that is in favor for the Hagen. I love more raw and Hot rodded Marshall sound with a touch of modern blended into it.
Does that sound more like Hagen over Herbert regarding to you?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue, Jun 19, 2018 1:40pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker

Joined: Sat, Aug 15, 2009 3:01pm
Posts: 1278
Location: Florida
Are you human?: 951
I own both Herbert and Hagen. So, obviously I feel that they are "different" enough to warrant owning both.

What was said above is correct, Hagen is more open and "raw." If you like that INSTEAD, then sure, trade is a great idea.

Personally, I had my Herbert first and let a VH4S and an Einstein go because I like Herbert more. That said, Hagen is a 4 channel amp and has some VERY cool tones in there. As Uncle Mo would say, it's "greasy" in a really good way. Anyway, Hagen stayed as well.

If I had to choose only one, it would be VERY difficult. I don't think most people have the opportunity to try them out, so I hear that part. I bought my Herbert sight unseen and NEVER regretted it. Also, got my Hagen directly from Peter when they came out, pre-order. I'll be honest, I was so used to Herbert, that initially Hagen was so different I had some feelings like "why did I do this?" However, after sitting with them in the same room, it's as I said before...they are DIFFERENT and in a REALLY GOOD way.
Both Diezel loveliness :D

Bottomline, if you want Marshall, get a Marshall. Diezel isn't that.
Hagen is probably "closer" on channel 2 to "Marshall-esque" tones.

Best of luck, I'm sure I didn't help. Just possibly created a desire to own both, which is where I'm at :rock:

_________________
Good deals with Brad King, fusionbear, mystidream, just42dave, zewango, gbsmusic, northern1, midnight laundry, holy-diver, apophis, chocolatefish, jack butler, diezelduder, paulypanacea, mikemtm, MYDEMISE, exhibit-sbt, yankeebulldog, 232cap, drkorey, evhfan, losyboy23, spanny, kgp1, exbest182 LP Freak, UberschallEL34 and many others


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed, Jun 20, 2018 1:02am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 205
Are you human?: 951
GtarLover wrote:
I own both Herbert and Hagen. So, obviously I feel that they are "different" enough to warrant owning both.

What was said above is correct, Hagen is more open and "raw." If you like that INSTEAD, then sure, trade is a great idea.

Personally, I had my Herbert first and let a VH4S and an Einstein go because I like Herbert more. That said, Hagen is a 4 channel amp and has some VERY cool tones in there. As Uncle Mo would say, it's "greasy" in a really good way. Anyway, Hagen stayed as well.

If I had to choose only one, it would be VERY difficult. I don't think most people have the opportunity to try them out, so I hear that part. I bought my Herbert sight unseen and NEVER regretted it. Also, got my Hagen directly from Peter when they came out, pre-order. I'll be honest, I was so used to Herbert, that initially Hagen was so different I had some feelings like "why did I do this?" However, after sitting with them in the same room, it's as I said before...they are DIFFERENT and in a REALLY GOOD way.
Both Diezel loveliness :D

Bottomline, if you want Marshall, get a Marshall. Diezel isn't that.
Hagen is probably "closer" on channel 2 to "Marshall-esque" tones.

Best of luck, I'm sure I didn't help. Just possibly created a desire to own both, which is where I'm at :rock:


Thanks for your answer. I was a bit unclear of what I meant with Hot rodded Marshall. What I mean is that I like the raw tone of it. But I already own the best Hot rodded Marshall you can find (custom made for me) and don’t want the same in another amp. I want the rawness of it...not as compressed and modern as the Herbert. I want the Diezel tone but in a less compressed and with more rockness (as Phil X calls it) Think the dirty, gritty, in your face black sheep Diezel. Did that even make sense;) Hope you understand what I mean.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed, Jun 20, 2018 1:45am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Jun 26, 2008 7:20am
Posts: 270
Location: Germany
Are you human?: 951
MrFlexx wrote:
GtarLover wrote:
I own both Herbert and Hagen. So, obviously I feel that they are "different" enough to warrant owning both.

What was said above is correct, Hagen is more open and "raw." If you like that INSTEAD, then sure, trade is a great idea.

Personally, I had my Herbert first and let a VH4S and an Einstein go because I like Herbert more. That said, Hagen is a 4 channel amp and has some VERY cool tones in there. As Uncle Mo would say, it's "greasy" in a really good way. Anyway, Hagen stayed as well.

If I had to choose only one, it would be VERY difficult. I don't think most people have the opportunity to try them out, so I hear that part. I bought my Herbert sight unseen and NEVER regretted it. Also, got my Hagen directly from Peter when they came out, pre-order. I'll be honest, I was so used to Herbert, that initially Hagen was so different I had some feelings like "why did I do this?" However, after sitting with them in the same room, it's as I said before...they are DIFFERENT and in a REALLY GOOD way.
Both Diezel loveliness :D

Bottomline, if you want Marshall, get a Marshall. Diezel isn't that.
Hagen is probably "closer" on channel 2 to "Marshall-esque" tones.

Best of luck, I'm sure I didn't help. Just possibly created a desire to own both, which is where I'm at :rock:


Thanks for your answer. I was a bit unclear of what I meant with Hot rodded Marshall. What I mean is that I like the raw tone of it. But I already own the best Hot rodded Marshall you can find (custom made for me) and don’t want the same in another amp. I want the rawness of it...not as compressed and modern as the Herbert. I want the Diezel tone but in a less compressed and with more rockness (as Phil X calls it) Think the dirty, gritty, in your face black sheep Diezel. Did that even make sense;) Hope you understand what I mean.


Hagen certainly is more raw, dirty and gritty compared to Herbert. But of course it's still a Diezel. You should also consider the Paul or Big MaX (depending on how many channels you need). They are even more open and Marshall-esque.

_________________
Markus

"A universe not without end but with an infinite number of endings."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jun 24, 2018 12:06pm 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Apr 06, 2010 9:02am
Posts: 205
Are you human?: 951
Tried the Hagen..and even though it's an amazing amp...I feel the Herbert is more for me. Thanks for all your input.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 11:34am 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Mon, May 18, 2009 10:40am
Posts: 15663
Location: I'm BACK in da saddle again.... I'M BAAAACK!!!!
Are you human?: 951
That's what we're here for :thumbsup: :yes: :rock:

Unkle Mo

_________________
Professional Hobbyist
LESTERs | HORIZONs | BOGNER | DIEZEL | FRIEDMAN | BKPs
...finding my tonal nirvana in what appears to be a chewy, grinding, saggy Bog.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group - Terms of Use