Speaker Battle: V30 vs G12K-100

richedie":346oa08i said:
I was told from a friend who tried the V30/K100 that the mix was too aggressive since the 100 is a fairly aggressive speakers. We tried a K100 and Mesa C-90 mix and man what a sweet mix! The C-90 is more mellow and the K100 is way more aggressive and they mix perfectly!

I just don't like V-30s. Too fatiguing on the ears! Every time I hear a guy with V30s in his cab or I have em in a cab I get a headache from the upper mids. They actually hurt! LOL. :)

Aggressive? I think not, the K100 is way too smooth to be aggressive. V30's are much more aggressive sounding, and for me I'm hearing 2/3 of the V30 sound with an even X pattern. A V30's magnet is bigger, their mid range is obviously more pronounced, and I think they are a higher quality speaker myself.

V30s once broken in are thick, smooth and full of mudrange, perfect for with a band.
K100s were too clean and stiff for and too much low end fir me as a guitar speaker.
CL80s are smooth and creamy, more vintage than the 100s but still sort of neutral.

G12K-100s are very even and smooth, they remind me a lot of the V30.....very thick and loaded with mids, similar to the CL-80 which is another very warm and thick speaker.

Broken in V30s DO NOT have pronounced highs. V30s have great lows, smooth highs, very little high end actually, and lots of mids, including lots of upper mids. :)
Depends on the amp to! Some will hear different things with a speaker, depending on the amp. With my amps, the 100 sounds aggressive like a V30....very lively and fun to play......but we don't play at the volumes required for the K-100 so I ended up with V30s in my main cab, Creamback 65s in my Stone Age rather than K-100s and Lynchback 50s in my 412.

You guys have to consider the amp you are using when making comparisons. Bogner and PWE both highly recommended V30s when I bought my Shiva and Event Horizon, and they were right, nothing, not even Scumbacks sound as good with my amps, as V30s.

LoL ..old guy loves G12h and green backs in a rear loaded b cab.Does the the classic old school to the nine's.X pattern of course. :thumbsup:

Back