good pre tubes for herbert

Les Zombie

whats some good preamp tubes for a herbert with 2 6l6 and 4 el34. im starting to hear some fizz on the high gain.

Are you still running the stock pre tubes?
I got a couple of the tung-sol pre tubes yesterday for my herbert and was not to impressed with them. I only tried them in a couple of positions being v1 v2 v3.
I had to put one straight in as one of my stocks must have took a knock in shipping.
So I have one in v3 and the change is very subtle.
When I had the other in v1 i thought it added a bit more gain but a bit of fizz as well, mine being all stock el34's there is enough high end there so there is no need for anymore.
In v2 also very subtle change.
I noticed the biggest change in sound through the V1 pos and did not really like what it did so I am only running the one in v3 and the rest stock.

I am kind of interested to pop some 6l6 in and see what that does to the mix.

I can only tell you what I and Olaf have done as for changing out pre amp tubes in our Diezels.

I have not changed out any pre amp tubes in my Einstein or Herbert, BUT I did play with them in my VH4.

A good choice is Telefunken or NOS Mullards, or RFT's. These are what Olaf and I like, but you may have other tubes to try.

Go on line to tube sellers and read the explanations they give of the tubes. This will help you decide what you may wish to try.

I used Watford Valve, Tube World and KCA, but there are other sources as well to consider.

The better the pre amp tube you use, the better the tone will be. But, as tone is subjective, you must be happy with and know what you want from your amp for tone in advance of ordering.

Good luck and happy hunting.

The only pre amp tubes I have at the moment are some jj's,engl that came out of my powerball and a sovtec.
I might try the jj.

Just play around with V1 - and please don't use Engl labelled tubes in a Herbert :D (just kidding).

More sparkle: Telefunken 83s or (selected) EI 83s
Darker, more gain: RFT 83s

You can also try a 5751 JAN GE in V1 for less gain (the amp has enough) to increase headroom and decrease what you call "fizz".

Olaf

I don't know a lot about this stuff, will changing v1 change the cleans, I really would like to keep the clean the way it is and just change the gain channels. I like the amp a lot but I hear a little sizzle or fizz on the top end. I'm not good at describing this stuff. I bought it used and I think it was a 03 and it was updated to 05 specs but it might have the origonal pre tubes in it. Does changing powertubes get rid of sizzle or fuzz whatever you call it.

zao":d6f4f said:
whats some good preamp tubes for a herbert with 2 6l6 and 4 el34. im starting to hear some fizz on the high gain.

V1 & V6, nuff said.

Tungsol%2012AX7Ari.jpg

zao":2b49e said:
I don't know a lot about this stuff, will changing v1 change the cleans, I really would like to keep the clean the way it is and just change the gain channels. I like the amp a lot but I hear a little sizzle or fizz on the top end. I'm not good at describing this stuff. I bought it used and I think it was a 03 and it was updated to 05 specs but it might have the origonal pre tubes in it. Does changing powertubes get rid of sizzle or fuzz whatever you call it.
preamp-tube layout Herbert

V1 Used by all channels
V2 Used by channel 3
V3 Used by all channels
V4 Mixer & Loop Driver
V5 Return Driver
V6 Phase Inverter

Chief":d4520 said:
What do the phase inverter and return drive have to do with the signal??

From Aiken Amps:

"a circuit that generates two output signals, each 180 degrees out of phase with the other. This is a bit of a misnomer, since it does more than just invert the phase of a signal, it actually generates two out of phase signals."

i put some jj's in it but i didnt like them in v1 or v3, it was ok in v2. it has chinese in it now, chinese with white label in v1 v2 v3 and red label in v4 v5 v6 and v7 has no label. are all chinese the same.

>|<>QBB<
duesentrieb":31340 said:
preamp-tube layout Herbert

V1 Used by all channels
V2 Used by channel 3
V3 Used by all channels
V4 Mixer & Loop Driver
V5 Return Driver
V6 Phase Inverter

thank you Olaf!

I opened up my Herbert, and noticed that there are TAD's (JJ's) in V1-V4, and Ruby's in V5 and V6 (chinese). (for orientation, V1 is closest to the input jack). That's the way it came from the factory.

Based on everything I've read in the multiple preamp tube posts, for more desirable gain, the ruby's s/b in V1 and V2 and the TAD's in V3-V6. (I know my Marshall's sure love Chinese preamp tubes in V1!!) Thoughts?

thanks,
mike.

answered my own question!! V1 s/b the TAD - the 7025/E83CC "High Grade". V2-V4 are the TAD's "Selected", and V5-V6 are the Ruby's 12AX7's "Selected". I tried it with the Ruby's in front :oops: NAH. Changed the gain and tone character.:badair:

Conclusion: it comes from the factory, setup as described, for a reason. Same for the power tubes. 34's all the way. Why? 'cause it FUCKING ROX that way! :rawk: :supz: :cheers:

>|<>QBB<
King Crimson":21071 said:
V1 & V6, nuff said.

Tungsol%2012AX7Ari.jpg
I just popped those into all slots in my Einstein. Now it has too much gain. those tung sols are hot tubes...I think all the diezels have more than enough gain so using a lower gain tube would work better..my cleans are not as clean as with the shuguang even thought those are supposed to be hot as well.

Back