Lets get my silly newbie questions out of the way

eonblue

1. I run a VH4(100 watt) to a 2X12 Celestion V30 cab. I have never gotten to crank it to the max(probably not even to the point where I get to hear power tube distortion :x ) but I would like to give it a shot. Is it possible to blow up or damage my speakers? Why or why not? Also if possible, is there a volume at which I need to start to watch out? Im sorry if this has already been covered.

2. Would it be safe to run my keyboard through the head to get some preamp distortion or is that a bad bad idea?

1. 2 V30 handle 120 Watt. I wouldn't set y VH4 higher than 5-6 - cause a 100 Watter can produce 150 Watt peaks.

2. Why not. Not sure if it sounds good though . . . .

Hi Eonblue !

The power of the VH4 depends on the main voltage
and the tubes.
With perfect main voltage 120V:

EL34 - 130 watts
6L6 - 120 watts
6550 - 150 watts

The V30 are slightly overbuild. I would give
a new speaker up to 70 watts.

But as Olaf said, don´t turn the master over
noon.

This is not a newbie question btw.

:wink:

Ok, so now we'll get into the newbie questions.

1. If the head is 130W, im assuming thats 65W per speaker or is that not how it works???

2. So if the master volume determines how much wattage is pushed to the speakers how are the channel volumes correlated? I mean if the master volume is at 100% and the channel volume is at 20%, will less watts be pushed to the speaker than 100% master 100% channel?

3. So running my VH4 with EL34's to a 2X12 V30 cab, is there no way for me to see what power tube clipping sounds like without risking damage to the speakers?(I read that past 1 o'clock on the master volume just adds more power tube distortion, but Im assuming to get the effects I can't just turn down the channel volume and crank the master)

edit** So I guess simpler way to put this would be.....is it safe to turn my master volume up to like 3 o'clock as long as I have my channel volume down around 9 o'clock?

If there is some material you can reference so I don't have to bother you guys with this then let me know. I am the first to admit that I know NOTHING about amplifier inner workings. Though it wouldnt be a bad idea for me to learn.

Sorry, I don't normally do this, but I would really like to know.

"edit** So I guess simpler way to put this would be.....is it safe to turn my master volume up to like 3 o'clock as long as I have my channel volume down around 9 o'clock? "

And if the channel volume is at 9 o'clock, will turning the master volume up to 5 o'clock still add more power tube distortion or does the channel volume have to be jacked up for that to apply?

An answer and a why to this question would be sufficient

eonblue":f070e said:
"edit** So I guess simpler way to put this would be.....is it safe to turn my master volume up to like 3 o'clock as long as I have my channel volume down around 9 o'clock? "

Other way around. See Peter's post, it's in here somewhere... :mrgreen:

I like the channel volume setting
around 12:00.
I would go with a hotplate to get power amp
distortion at a low volume level.

And btw I don´t like power distortion as much.
It compresses the eq settings.

Best,

Peter :wink:

Thanks Peter. I took a look through all the posts in this forum(the ones in which the title was related) and I just kinda came to the following conclusion.

If I want to safely hear power amp distortion, then I better get a 4X12 or an attenuator.

Eonblue, listened to your 3 songs.
Very good, it has got that Tool/Deftones fibe to it, excellent!!

I also have a VH4 and like your guitarsound, so....

Wanted to ask you how you recorded the guitars on those songs?
What mike?
What volume?
Afterwards effects like compression?

Cheers,

Tom

Eonblue, I'll second that! Your recordings sound great! Not to mention the songs are awesome.

I like the high end you're getting on the VH4 distorted channels. I'm having trouble getting that kind of sound with it. My distorted tones are much darker. What kind of tubes are you using? Also, are you using an EQ in the effects loop?

So far I've tried Tung-Sol reissues and Shuguangs as the 12AX7s. The switch from the Tung-Sols to the Shuguangs seemed to give a bit more bite/definition to the tone. But it didn't entirely fix it.

But I'm also running 6L6s (SED winged C's) and that may be what is making it sound so dark. I tried EL34s (Electro Harmonix) and that definitely made it brighter, but I liked the clean sound with the 6L6's so I went back to them..

Thanks!
Bob

Hellooooooooo :D

Thanks for listening guys. Im glad you likey!

It took me quite a while to figure out how to record a guitar amp properly. Those three songs are the first three I ever recorded with real amp(previously owner of Line 6 gear using direct recording).

Mic = Shure SM57
Mic Pre = Sebatron Thorax
Recording Interface = Tascam US-428

Thats it for the signal chain.

In the box(Cubasis). All I add for the guitars is very small(1.5db) touch of highs(around 2500-2800) and a low pass filter set to taste. There is no compression on the guitars at any point in the chain.

Two tips I can give for recording the VH4(and from what I understand, any amp).

1. Mic placement. With my SM57 I found that 2-3 inches off the grill actually made it sound a bit more present than right on the grill. I think its because the bass got more predominant when extremly close. The point is not that this config will work for your needs. The point is that mic placement is absolutely a HUGE part of getting a decent guitar sound.

2. Lose some of the gain and lose some of the bass. Too much gain and you lose definition when recording. Too much bass is just yuck and from what I found kills some of the presence. Let the bass guitar give you that low end punch. Thats what its for.

About the settings and configuration of the amp itself. Hmm. Ruby EL34's I think. I dont know about the preamp tubes. Everything is stock. Also, as I stated above. I use very extreme settings for recording when it comes to EQ. Im talkin 9'oclock or lower on the bass, mids around 11 and treble around 1. Sounds harsh and bitey when cranked up in person, but loses that quality when recording.

Anyway. If there is anything else let me know. And, as with anything, what works for me other people hate so.... Sorry if I went overboard. I type fast, hahahah.

P.S. Woops, forgot about recording volume levels. Channel volume at 12 oclock and master volume around 9. So not terribly loud (I live in an apartment)

I've blown two V30 in my 2x12 with my Einstein now. :bang: I guess I'll stick with hauling the 4x12 to gigs now. :D Btw. those gigs where stupid loud - normally your ears will start bleeding long before you risk blowing a V30.

Eonblue,

Thanks so much for the info! Actually, it sounds like we go for very similar settings on the amp. I'll go ahead and try EL34s in there again - maybe a Ruby set since they look to be getting favorable comments.

Thanks again!
Bob

A quick update here. I replaced the SED 6L6s with Ruby EL34s (EL34BSTR) and it sounds great! I'm impressed with how the clean channel still retains its bass and chime. The other EL34s I tried (Electro Harmonix) really took away from the clean channel.

But the biggest plus is in channels 3 and 4. I've tried several different sets of tubes, and the Ruby EL34s sound the best.

>|<>QBB<
duesentrieb":68f11 said:
1. 2 V30 handle 120 Watt. I wouldn't set y VH4 higher than 5-6 - cause a 100 Watter can produce 150 Watt peaks.

2. Why not. Not sure if it sounds good though . . . .

Alright, sorry dig up this old ass thread but I need an answer to something.

Are you guys saying that there is no direct correlation between volume and the amount of power being pushed to the speakers?

Cause it sounds like that if you are saying that I can't turn my master up to 2 o'clock even if I barely open up the channel volume.

look at it in a way that it is like a gain knob

the higher the gain for the power amp the more sensitive that amp will be. so less of a signal will sound louder than it would.

just like the more pre amp gain you have the more saturation and volume you get.

make anysence?

Brae

Back