My tech needs VH4S schematic

rynhard

channel out in my VH4S -Hal @ Guitronics is attemping the repair but needs the schematic - any help?
Thanks - Ron

Ron,

the tech should send me an email to diezelusa (at) yahoo (dot) com

Don´t get me wrong, but a tube amp is easy to repair.

Best,

Peter

Peter Diezel":1tac9w1q said:
Ron,

the tech should send me an email to diezelusa (at) yahoo (dot) com

Don´t get me wrong, but a tube amp is easy to repair.

Best,

Peter

Peter, the issue of needing a schematic is not whether the tube amp is easy to repair or not, it is knowing where the components are in the system without having to reverse engineer the unit.

As a professional tech, my customers shouldn't have to pay me to take the time to analyze the layout to figure out what part is doing what. I have another boutique amp on the bench right now for which I don't have access to a schematic. The signal is getting lost somewhere around the tone stack. Do I spend several hours drawing out the circuit so I can trace the signal through it and know what I am looking at? Does the customer pay me for that time, or do I have to eat it?

Even before I was a tech, I considered serviceability to be a major part of the reputation of a manufacturer. That means that someone nearby can repair it effectively and at minimal cost. Having access to correct service data is a very important part of that serviceability factor.

I am in a similar situation with a VH4S that returns occasionally for service. If it's not a tube problem, I have to spend too much time just trying to figure out where the signal path is supposed to be. The VH4S differs significantly in circuits and component layout from the VH4.

Granted, tube amps are not rocket science. It is highly unlikely that anyone is doing anything so innovative that everyone else will want to copy it. In fact, it has probably already been done. Otherwise, a patent should have been filed. Therefore, there is no good reason to keep the schematics secret.

Keeping the schematics secret only makes the amp unserviceable and unsupportable without significant expense. That in turn hurts the reputation of the product, leading to lost sales.

Neil Preston
Preston Electronics LLC
Lee's Summit, MO
http://www.PrestonElectronics.com

Back