Diezel VH4 vs Soldano SLO100

strathunter

I understand both SLO100 and VH4 are legendary 80s sound amps.

I currently owned an SLO100 and really love it. But I consider to get VH4. Sometimes I feel my SLO100 has too much mid and I always love to have more headroom and a sweet high in my SLO. Maybe VH4 is better? :)

Which one is better in your opinion? Both in tone and definition? :)

Also, if what I want is an SLO100 with more gain and low.. should I get VH4 or Herbert?

Thanks.. any suggestion will be highly appreciated :)

Honestly, if you want an SLO with more gain & lows, you should get an Einstein.

I wouldn't sell the SLO for a VH4, but buying one in addition to your Soldano would kick ass.

I agree with nbarts. More gain & low: get an Einstein. 4 separate channels, excellent sound and a looooot of other bells and whistles: get a VH4. Personally, I do not like the SLO's.. to my ears it lacks low all over. I have heard, though, that there is a "deep mod" for SLO's. That way you will have the sound you love so much now + the low you are looking for.

I think Diezels are totally different beasts, compared with SLO's. In a head-on comparison, I liked the sound and feel of Diezels better. VH4 was too much for me (too many channels, too many options). I wanted a 2 channel, no-nonsense amp; for me that's the Einstein.

Anyway. Good luck deciding! :thumbsup:

R.

I'm going to step out on a limb, and may get whacked with a stick for saying this, but if you want an SLO100 with more gain and lows, what about an early Mesa Dual Rectifier 2 channel?

I've never even seen an SLO in person, let alone played on one, but the Rectifier solo head was based apon an SLO, and the early one's are supposed to still have that SLO flavor.

I'm also on board with getting an Einstein, but thought I'd throw that out there for a cheaper alternative.

Keep the SLO...get an Einstein & use the Boogie to prop up your broken couch after your relatives leave. Happy Holidays!!!! :LOL: :LOL:

I agree with the Mesa comment. If you want an SLO sound with more gain and a tighter bottom, try to find an early 2-channel Dual Rectifier. Diezel amps have a very different feel and character than Soldano. They are both great amps, though. Diezel VH4 is way, WAY more compressed than an SLO. I've played them both side-by-side.

The feel of the Einstein is VERY different, which is why it works so great for me. I couldn't stand the Soldano feel. Tonewise they can be kinda alike, that's of course a lot of "kinda" & that's compared when there is a depth mode on the SLO.

Check out the Einstein clip with Texas mode & c1 m3 leads, that's pretty much as SLO like as I could get with it.

http://www.dizero.com/geartest.php

Merry Xmas Dude!!

I've had both... The SLO is a solid amp, Mike knows what he's doing. The VH4 is a different amp altogether. The Einstein I've only demo'd and would like to add one to the repertoire eventually. But one thing I've come to realize, we get GAS and what we have becomes easily ridded, and then in time we often think we shouldn't have let the old stuff go. Try to keep heads - they do come in useful. Collect 'em.

Personally I dumped my SLO and picked up an Uberschall TJ... Now I'm eyeballing a new SLO - go figure.

Peace,
V.

PS - but the title as is states "Diezel VH4 vs Soldano SLO100", the flexibility of the 4 channel V takes the SLO out hands down... Just my humble opinion. I found the hi-gain circuit of the SLO to need JUST the right cab to make the mid to low end thick and powerful. The SLO was awesome loud, felt unleashed and crazy, but a lot of that was this harmonic whirlwind that happened only at HIGH volumes and seemed uncontrollable but cool. I found with my V I can dial it in at almost any volume to sound wickedly good. It's so tight and punchy. I love it.

I would, if I were you, save up my pennies and get vh4 or Einy, and try to get your slo modded w/ the deep mod..The SLO has one the best " lead" voices ever, and the diezels just ooze out the heavy tones!

After listening all the great things about Einstein, I just wonder which one have better low end: Einstein or VH4?

What is the difference between Einstein 50w and 100w? I guess 50w has more singing tone and 100w has tighter low end..? that's happenned on my Marshall JMPs. :)

Thanks guys!! :)

Throwing my 50p in here but I just (today) recieved my Soldano SLO-100 with the Depth Mod. The lead voicing is incredible and whatever you think it is missing in lows the Depth mod can add. Been playing 18 years (professionally on and off 16) and in the industry 8 years. I own a few buts and have played a shitload of gear (more than I can remember) but the SLO with the Depth mod is for lack of better words the holy grail of tone! I have included an image of it as of right now (I am not using the ISP atm but will be live) guitar straight into the SLO, Zilla cab is 2 X H-75 Creambacks and the TC G-Major 2 in the Loop for some reverb and ambient delay.

Attachments

• Soldano Rig.jpg
    Soldano Rig.jpg
    867.8 KB · Views: 3,190
Back