Diezel VH4 tubes

QueenCityGuitars":2itc8o4t said:
Just curious, what pre amp and power amp tubes (manufacturer and model) does Diezel use for the VH4 now? :confused: Thanks!

Stock is Winged C SED 6550 power valves and Chinese/Shuguang 12AX7B's.

V.

Ventura":3fvmceob said:
QueenCityGuitars":3fvmceob said:
Just curious, what pre amp and power amp tubes (manufacturer and model) does Diezel use for the VH4 now? :confused: Thanks!

Stock is Winged C SED 6550 power valves and Chinese/Shuguang 12AX7B's.

V.

That was the 2009 phase.

MARK2C":hg970qyr said:
TAD JJ ECC83 in the V1 and Ruby 12AX7C HG and HG+ V2-V7. Ruby EL34BHT X 4.

What is it about the JJ that you like in the V1 position? I've been thinking of trying one in V1 of my VH4 as I've REALLY enjoyed the JJ's in the preamp of my Marshall TSL for years, it makes that amp for me (now have a tungsol in v1 though, just kicks more ass).

Recent stock tubes are:

EL34BHT power tubes.

V1/V2: TAD 7025 Highgrade B-side special Diezel selection
same as alternativ RUBY 12AX7AC5 HG+ B-side special Diezel selection.

V2-V7: TAD NN001/12AX7-C same as alternative RUBY 12AX7AC5 HG.

All tubes comes from the Shuguang factory in China. They sound best
for my taste and got a acceptable relaibility (knocking on wood).

i found a place where to buy the el34bht

but about the preamp tubes:
looking at the tad nn001 there are three possibilities to choose from:
- factory quality
- balanced systems (+€3,60 per tube)
- matched in pairs (+€7,20 per tube)
which one is the best option (my stomach would tend towards "balanced")?

Thanks for the feedback everybody; I appreciate it. For the record, I did use the search engine (that's the first thing that occured to me) but I knew that the tube recommendations had changed recently and I was hoping Peter himself would post a reply. Thank you very much, Peter.

The reason I asked about the tubes is because I recently bought a 2009 VH4 and a 2009 front-loaded Diezel 4x12 cabinet loaded with Celestion G12K100s. I love the features on the VH4 (gain and volume controls for each channel as well as a master volume to turn the whole amp up and down after setting each channel's volume). I've owned a lot of amps over the years (SLO 100, Ecstasy, Uberschall, Dual Rec, Bad Cat, Marshall, etc) and I like the features on this amp hands down. That being said, I A/Bed the VH4 with my pre-500 Dual Rec (channel 3 on the VH4 with the red channel on the DR) and was surprised by the outcome. Both amps sound great, but when I played a chord on the VH4 I couldn't hear each note nearly as well. Granted, I preferred the VH4's low-end, and it's super quiet for being such a high-gain amp, but this VH4 seems so compressed that each note gets lost in the distortion (or possibly the compression). The amp currently has a hodgepodge of pre-amp tubes in it (a mix of Rubys and Groove Tubes) and I believe it has Ruby EL34s in it (the amp isn't currently in front of me so I cannot give the tube specifics right now). I was thinking a change of tubes may do the amp justice even though these are relatively new ones. I was also thinking about putting two Celestion V30s in the cabinet in an X-pattern with the G12K100s. Any thoughts from other VH4 owners?

Peter Diezel":2ybutzxf said:
Recent stock tubes are:

EL34BHT power tubes.

V1/V2: TAD 7025 Highgrade B-side special Diezel selection
same as alternativ RUBY 12AX7AC5 HG+ B-side special Diezel selection.

V2-V7: TAD NN001/12AX7-C same as alternative RUBY 12AX7AC5 HG.

All tubes comes from the Shuguang factory in China. They sound best
for my taste and got a acceptable relaibility (knocking on wood).

Well, well, well Mr. Diezel - I have to laugh as this was what we were talking about just about 6 weeks ago - the fact that TAD were awesome pre's for the VH4 and 4S. Nice to see this is a "company wide" accepted concept now. I remember discussing the fact I'd put them in and was blown away in the V1/V2 sockets. Awesome. This company is by far the epitome of "organic" - Diezel creates, people use, feedback delivered, things are tweaked, Diezel re-creates, people use, feedback delivered....etc.

Just AWESOME!!!!
:thumbsup: V.

PS - But am I right in reading we're now OFF the 6550 bandwagon and back ON the EL34 train with the V's...??? Interesting.

Back