G12-65 in 2x12? Thank you Andy Wood

tripstan

I'm running a 100w Einstein with a 2x12 using EV 12ML type speakers that I LOVE but they are sooooooo damn heavy. Looking for a replacement thinking either the 65's or G12-80's maybe the new CL80's but I think the old ones would sound better. I'm sure there are plenty of other guys out there with the same situation :confused:
Oh I'm running a front load 3/4" birch ply cab.
Whadda ya think?

tripstan":1usnyqvo said:
I'm running a 100w Einstein with a 2x12 using EV 12ML type speakers that I LOVE but they are sooooooo damn heavy. Looking for a replacement thinking either the 65's or G12-80's maybe the new CL80's but I think the old ones would sound better. I'm sure there are plenty of other guys out there with the same situation :confused:
Oh I'm running a front load 3/4" birch ply cab.
Whadda ya think?

Man, if you love the sound of them EV 12ML's, weight shouldn't be an issue. There are a LOT of cats out there who've been seeking a tone THEY'D LOVE and I bet ya they'd not give a rat's ass how 'heavy' their cab was if they found it.

Seriously man, if it ain't broke, don't fix it :D

V.

Tone is awesome but they are almost too in your face if u know what I mean. I use to use one or two in an RL open back cab but got a WAY too projecty in your face feel when played at stage volumes. :bash: :bash: :bash: It's gotten better since using a front loaded closed back cab with them but I'd like something just as smooth and aggresive but not as IN YO FACE as the EV's, as they still have the :bash: feel when playing loud. I'm also thinking about using a 4x12 eventually so I don't think I wouldn't want 4 of those in a cab. I think that unit could anchor a battleship. I know Zakk Wylde uses them but he's built like a viking and has roadies. Just wondering what you guys think about front loading those and other speakers g12-80's and the vintage 30's.

G12-65 should work fine with einy. Have you considered the k100? Its Huge dust cap smooths the high end, and is one of diezel s choose for the amp.

I think the ev12l response has far more high mid and high end resulting in a more in your face type sound.

Could you talk about the results with einstein a bit more i have been wanting to try one of these with einy.

Hey to all...

I played two G12-65´s in a frontloaded 212 with the Eini. Has been too dark for my taste, but the cleans were fantastic. I have to take a look, I might still have some sample here, not very professionel, but you can image a bit.

They might be the answer for me then. All the other speakers I've tried have been too bright or else too new I guess. I've only had a few pairs of speakers that I have broke in one pair being the EV style speakers (they are actually Eminence Delta Pro 12A's, Eminence's version of the EVM 12L) SUPER broke in, barely have to touch them and the cones move a bunch. So far I've tried a Swamp Thing and a Texas Heat mixed (bright and buzzy on the high end, Great cleans but wasn't a fan of the distortion tones) and a pair of V30's. None of them nearly as old as the Delta's (first pair of speakers I bought about 8or 9 yrs ago). Maybe I just need to break those other speakers in more, not sure how much time is on either. V30's are used and the Eminence's are brand spankin' new so I know they need a good break in. I just know the older Delta cones are WAAAAAY looser than any other speaker I've played. I think loose speak + tight cab = :worship: Tone

delta pro 12A ? :confused:
how does in sound?
have a smooth high?

if i combined it in 4X12 with 2 red coat (tonker or private jack) i have mid cut in red coat and high cut/mid high in delta pro? :scared:
:confused:

You might want to use the delta for the lows as it is ideal for this application and choose a brighter speaker with lots of cut to pair with it. A neodymium speaker may be a good choice as they usually cut extremely well.

Yeah the Delta is UBER smooth thats why it's really hard to stray away from it. I'll probably just keep using it, but I'd like to find a very similar lighter replacement. But it's high end still cut plenty but it's not ice picky. I absolutely LOVE this speaker. I played dumble clones and dumble pedals for a lontime before getting the Einny. So I like my distortion or OD very saturated but have a certain smoothness to it. As for the high cut mid cut debate I am uncertain to say what those other speakers will do I'll a little green with the high cut/mid cut explanation. Not sure if your saying it cuts out the mids/highs or that they cut through the mix. Cause the Delta has plenty of cut while not having the annoying buzzy overtone found in other speakers. The V30's sound good in band mix especially with another guitar player but not as good to me when I play alone or with my other project that only has one guitar. . . But the Einstein fullfills all my tonal needs, from fender clean to dumble drive to modern distortion tone. DIEZEL is King. . . .PERIOD
I HIGHLY recommend the Delta or a real EVm 12L in 1x12 cab it SMOKES everthing else in the 1x12 cab.

i have think to combine 2 delta pro vith 2 tonker in my cabinet
the range of frequencies are big (?)

Hey...
just looked up my messy PC and found two Clips I made with my Einstein through a Harley Benton (yes, I know :doh: ) 212 Frontloaded Cab with G12-65 from 1983.

The first clip is with all knobs at 12, recorded straight on the cone with a SM58. In the future I will use my new Sennheiser e906 :LOL: :LOL: This playing has been really loud, man..it almost blew me outside the room.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7340306/Einstei ... Drop-C.mp3

In the second I altered the settings a bit, for the first clip is a bit to muddy and has less highs.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7340306/Einstei ... Drop-C.mp3

In the second half you can hear the V30 in my Diezel FC 412, much tighter and with a nice low end, but scratchy somehow. I wold like a mix beetween them, for a more "meatier" sound. Peter S. recommended me the G12K 100, but I´m afraid, they really need more Loudness to sound well, but my problem is, that I can´t play with higher volumes most time. And for this the V30 is too scratchy.

As ususal: sloppy playing, just had a few moments... However, Eini brings out EVERY mistakes....and this LOUD for shure so everybody can hear it very clear... :aww: but this can only force you to improve yourself!

Peter! You gave me a true tone! :thumbsup:

So got me two vintage g12- 65's in a cab and used them at a show last Saturday. PERFECT, I love it. Very similar to the EV's tone without the In Yo Face sound. Also 65's are much lighter than EV so it's a win-win for me. My 2x12 actually feels like it only has two speakers in it now.

Thank You, Mr. Andy Wood for commenting that you use these. If your looking to change your speakers, try'em out fella's. The can do many style's.

tripstan":y1z1zkci said:
So got me two vintage g12- 65's in a cab and used them at a show last Saturday. PERFECT, I love it. Very similar to the EV's tone without the In Yo Face sound. Also 65's are much lighter than EV so it's a win-win for me. My 2x12 actually feels like it only has two speakers in it now.

Thank You, Mr. Andy Wood for commenting that you use these. If your looking to change your speakers, try'em out fella's. The can do many style's.
:rock:

glad you dig! i love these speakers, they rock!!

A Wood

This is truely an honor! Where else can you get a response from one of your guitar idols sooooo fast. Rig Talk is the BEST!
Thank you master :jedi: :jedi:

Back