Which Diesel is the best for Metal Music ?

http://diezel.typo3.inpublica.de/herbert.22.0.html

Also note chapter 4.1.4 of the Herbert manual. It's an entirely different beast and you can't compare it to just turning down the mids on a VH4.

maybe i'm biased cause i already own a herbert, but if you're looking for Xtrem or modern metal sounds, the herbert is to me the only one which can achieve it... the VH4 is not brutal enough for that kind of tone IMHO :D

I agree, at least not on it's own. You would need to add some punch thru effects or something similar to get the wicked tone the Herbert can produce on it's own - see Hetfield. :)

>|<>QBB<
scottph":f9983 said:
I agree, at least not on it's own. You would need to add some punch thru effects or something similar to get the wicked tone the Herbert can produce on it's own - see Hetfield. :)

EMGs?

Na, the pu's alone won't do the trick. I play mainly EMG-equipped axes and the Herbie just sounds better to me, but it's all personal preference. :)

I had Doug of Diezel UK explain the mid cut to me and it was something like this;

I asked, mid cut? why not just turn the mids down? what's the difference?

and he replied something like imagen a sound wave, when you turn your mids down sound wave goes like this *\____/* if you get the idea, when you turn it back up it'll be either the opposite or like this _______ depending on how much you do it, but what the mid cut does is instead of just cutting out the mids, imagen this soundwave *\____/* where the asterixes are, that's the middle point of the soundwave, that the \___/ is still there but the line in the middle of it is parrallel to the asterixes, so you have the raised section on the edges but it dips it down in the middle of the soundwave.

anybody understand that? nope, didn't think so... :LOL:

But in context of sound it's alot harder to here, they're also called 'scoops' on some amps if I'm not mistaken, try to here one in person, it sounds alot more metal cutting the mids rather then just turning them down and you'll get a better tone in my opinion that will still cut through.

nice explaination...but isn't it easier to say that the mid cut has just a more
"localized" effect that the mid EQ section...? like it just kills the nasty sissy
frequency within the medium spectrum so that it sounds metal! :D or have i all
wrong?!! :LOL:

So you're basically saying the mid cut feature has a narrower bandwidth than the Mid knob...

So if you mid cut, then turn the mis up to compensate a bit you get a low mid, and high mid boost with a slight mid cut?

The mid-cut cuts the low mid freqs at 400kz, not all mids. It's just a bandwith that gives it more of a scooped sound.

Back