Anyone here attempted to cop a Tool tone with their VH4 or Herbert?

Yes... channel 2 of my Herbie has something close to his great sound.
Not exactly the same, of course, but the same type of sound.

Tool is great. :)

I've watched closely on videos of Tool on Youtube and such and Adam runs his VH4's on channel 3. He runs all of his amps at once so it'd be hard to get his exact sound with just the VH4. Adam is the man :D

Sometimes his tone sounds a little grainy for me. The new Shinedown has some great Diezel tones!

You know, it almost sounds like Adam is using a wide Q'ed wah sometimes because of that wierd high-mid presence. Depending on the song you are listening to of course.

Ya I get that tone with my 535q sorta, but im pretty sure that he gets those insane highs by using an EQ with the mids and highs jacked up. This link is to stinkfist live, I love the beginning with the feedback he gets at the start of the song its sick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5lX6mI4cP8

I've seen Adam's VH4 settings. He uses Channel 3. I can't remember his exact gain setting, but it was between 11:00 and 1:00. The EQ settings were:

Bass: 3:00
Mid: 5:00 (maxed)
Treb: 3:00
Pres: 1:00
Deep: 12:00

To be 100% correct you need the blue faced VH4 which is supposed to sound EQed very slightly different. I guess if Peter's improvements are anything to go by though then you should sound better than Adam Jones! ;)

He does have one blue VH4 and the other he got recently, while doing 10,000 days I believe I heard. And yea who knows what the hell else he actually runs to get his tone aside from his other amps, closest thing, pedal wise at least, is probably what guitargeek lists.

And itsme I love you hahah, how did you see his settings?

>|<>QBB<
Svendiesel":734df said:
Ya I get that tone with my 535q sorta, but im pretty sure that he gets those insane highs by using an EQ with the mids and highs jacked up. This link is to stinkfist live, I love the beginning with the feedback he gets at the start of the song its sick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5lX6mI4cP8

Yeah, Ive noticed especially on his cleans that they sound really plastic, in a good way because it fits the song, but I have yet to hear anything remotely close to that coming out of my VH4 with just amp and guitar. I know he uses that Boss EQ so I can only assume its a combo of that and his wah.

>|<>QBB<
scottph":02de9 said:
That's of course if you have all the other gear he prolly uses and his fingers, etc. ;)

I don't have his other gear, but I've got his fingers. He lends them to me occasionally and I keep them in this mini hyperbaric chamber I have here. It has an interesting geometrical base that Danny Carey designed for it to magically keep them fresh til I mail them back. :LOL:

>|<>QBB<
eonblue":f7ef7 said:
>|<>QBB<

Yeah, Ive noticed especially on his cleans that they sound really plastic, in a good way because it fits the song, but I have yet to hear anything remotely close to that coming out of my VH4 with just amp and guitar. I know he uses that Boss EQ so I can only assume its a combo of that and his wah.

I have the Boss ME-50 effects board and when I switch the expression pedal to the Resonance setting, switch on my wah and use delay, it does sound surprisingly close to the feedback he gets, especially on that stinkfist live video from youtube. I sorta cheat and use a slide though too at times :D

heres an excerpt from an article I found about mixing 10,000 days from mixonline.com. The part below is about Adam, but for those of you who wanna read it all heres the link http://mixonline.com/recording/projects/audio_making_tools_days/

""Barresi explains guitarist Adam Jones' recording setup: “Adam mainly runs three amps: He has a Marshall that he loves, a Diezel and then he was using a Mesa Boogie at one point. I brought in a Bogner Uberschall head and a Rivera Knucklehead Reverb, and several other things. Then we just experimented with combinations of heads and cabinets until it worked for the song. Most of the 4×12s were Mesa Boogie cabinets, which are superior for their low end, except for the Marshall head, which went through a Marshall cabinet, and the Rivera went through a Rivera cabinet. I usually used stock miking. For me, that's a Shure SM57 and a Sennheiser 421 on every cabinet. The third mic could be anything that I felt the sound needed more of.â€

>|<>QBB<
Svendiesel said:
heres an excerpt from an article I found about mixing 10,000 days from mixonline.com. The part below is about Adam, but for those of you who wanna read it all heres the link http://mixonline.com/recording/projects/audio_making_tools_days/

""Barresi explains guitarist Adam Jones' recording setup: “Adam mainly runs three amps: He has a Marshall that he loves, a Diezel and then he was using a Mesa Boogie at one point. I brought in a Bogner Uberschall head and a Rivera Knucklehead Reverb, and several other things. Then we just experimented with combinations of heads and cabinets until it worked for the song. Most of the 4×12s were Mesa Boogie cabinets, which are superior for their low end, except for the Marshall head, which went through a Marshall cabinet, and the Rivera went through a Rivera cabinet. I usually used stock miking. For me, that's a Shure SM57 and a Sennheiser 421 on every cabinet. The third mic could be anything that I felt the sound needed more of.â€

>|<>QBB<
eonblue":14fa5 said:
You know, it almost sounds like Adam is using a wide Q'ed wah sometimes because of that wierd high-mid presence. Depending on the song you are listening to of course.

he does use one

>|<>QBB<
itsme":5a4ab said:
I've seen Adam's VH4 settings. He uses Channel 3. I can't remember his exact gain setting, but it was between 11:00 and 1:00. The EQ settings were:

Bass: 3:00
Mid: 5:00 (maxed)
Treb: 3:00
Pres: 1:00
Deep: 12:00

i copied down his settings when i saw his amp once and i have pictures of the amp with the setting markers if you want (attached one of them), here you go:

VH4 - Channel 3:

Gain = 12:00
Volume = 12:30
Treble = 3:00 - 3:15
Middle = 5:00 (maxed out)
Bass =3:30 - 4:00 (maybe 3:45)

VH4 - Master Section:

Volume = 12:00 - 12:15
Mix = 7:00 (minimum, zeroed out)
Presence = 12:30
Deep = 2:00 - 2:15

Attachments

• aj_vh4_front.jpg
    aj_vh4_front.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,950
lol dude I've seen that same picture of that VH4 on like 300 "different" ebay auctions, which coincidentally were all deleted by ebay only a few hours after they were put up. Funny enough your picture also has the little camera watermark that ebay brands on pictures in auctions on the bottom right. nice try though.

Back