herbert clips

van hellion

here is my herbert in action. i have been in the studio for the five weeks before christmas recording an album with grammy nominated producer travis wyrick (P.O.D., Pillar and 10 Years). we just got the mixes back from him and they sound great. We have 3 of the songs up on our page. feedback would be great. there is clean,crunch and shred lead tones on all songs so check em out.

http://www.downfromup.com

Really liked the songs, espacially "Alone". Has a slight Dream Theater touch. What guitar did u use on that one?

What did u use for the recordings? Just the Herbert? Any Booster/Distortion/Gain Pedals? I´m just asking because there´s this one pic on ur myspace page where we can see u with the Herbert and there´s also
an Ibanez Tubescreamer and if I´m not mistaken a Boss DS-1 and Boss OD.

keep up that good work man!

thanx man, dream theater is definitaly an influence. for "alone" i used a prs custom 24 tuned in what i call "train of thought tuning" which is standard tuning in c or 2 whole steps down. (john petrucci used this tuning alot on the TOT album, i think a total of 3 of the 7 songs were in c). all other songs were recorded with a tom anderson drop top for leads and riffs and a les paul every now and then for chunky power chords. the rythm guitar signal came out of the guitar into a little labs splitter->one into the herbert into the 4 12 v 30 cab the other into a splawn quickrod into a greenback loaded cab. there were no boosters at all on 99% of the tones. we used those (all keeley modded) pedals every now and then just to filter the signal before the splitter, we just used em for getting an almost lo fi effect. we would jack the treble on em and get em all crappy sounding, it was really alot of fun to get awful tone!, but thats only on like 2 tiny sections of the album used just as atmosphere. travis always uses them as boosters for boogies and marshalls but was absolutely blown away with the herbert, we wanted to just show off the amp ya know. the pedals just happen to be lying around when we were taking pics. all lead tones were just the herbert as well as most of the main riffs. im glad you enjoyed it!

cool, thanx! alone is also one of my top favorites, there is more notey/showing off stuff on the album but we thought it best to pre release the songs with the widest appeal, alone just happen to sneak in to the pre release mix. thanx for checking out the stuff!

thanx big time fellas, it means alot coming from a few of you guys, random hero, i think you posted some dream theater clips you recorded on your dual rec that sounded mighty fine! always nice to hear good things from good players.

>|<>QBB<
van hellion":11bcf said:
thanx big time fellas, it means alot coming from a few of you guys, random hero, i think you posted some dream theater clips you recorded on your dual rec that sounded mighty fine! always nice to hear good things from good players.

Haha, that was me yes, thanks alot bro. I've since swapped the Recto for the mighty Herbert however 8)

Your band kills, i've already shown a couple of friends who have all been impressed. I'll keep my eye out for you guys.

long live the herbert!!!!! you gotta try some sed winged c 6l6's, i think your into similar sounds that i like and it might be worth the effort of a swap.

Back