Come in and help me regarding using the Herbert's FX loop

Random Hero

So, I have the send from the amp coming from the switchable Send, going into the balanced input on the G-Major, and the return from the G going into the parallel loop return. Is this incorrect? I thought this was how I ran the loop if I wanted it to switch in and out and not be permanently in the signal path. Is this using it as a switchable serial or parallel?

I'm a little confused... but it works...

I thought so, it's just Olaf said in the VH4/G-Major thread that there was 3 options with the Herbert loop. Permanent serial, permanent parallel and switchable serial?

"duesentrieb wrote:

Herbert has a
permanant serial
permanent parallel
and midi switchable serial loop.

I'm using the serial perm. and few fx. Just tweak in/out of the major until there`s no vol loss. Works fine for me - and worked fine with my VH4 and Einstein. I use the switchable serial to add some preamps or a full amp hooked to load using its line-out to expand the whole rig."

I think he meant to say that normally the switchable loop is serial. If you connect the switchable loop to one of the other loops, it becomes whatever that loop is, either serial or parallel. :mrgreen:

>|<>QBB<
Random Hero":ae8b0 said:
So, I have the send from the amp coming from the switchable Send, going into the balanced input on the G-Major, and the return from the G going into the parallel loop return. Is this incorrect? I thought this was how I ran the loop if I wanted it to switch in and out and not be permanently in the signal path. Is this using it as a switchable serial or parallel?

I'm a little confused... but it works...

This is exactly the way I've been running mine for a year now. Works wonderfully. I keep a BBE 482-i in the serial loop at all times.

I found that it is best to run the parallel loop volume at max, and control the amount of send from the TC box...that way if you accidently bump the volume pot during setup you won't have to fret over exactly where it is supposed to be :? . That pot is touchy for sure...and just moving it a little can completely screw you if you are expecting a precise amount of effect signal for your tone.

>|<>QBB<
hellenback":7e664 said:
>|<>QBB<

This is exactly the way I've been running mine for a year now. Works wonderfully. I keep a BBE 482-i in the serial loop at all times.

I found that it is best to run the parallel loop volume at max, and control the amount of send from the TC box...that way if you accidently bump the volume pot during setup you won't have to fret over exactly where it is supposed to be :? . That pot is touchy for sure...and just moving it a little can completely screw you if you are expecting a precise amount of effect signal for your tone.

Interesting, so you run the loop volume on the rear of the amp to max?

So I tried setting the G-Major effects 100% wet today - like it says in the manual. Do you mean to do that on the individual effects or by pushing the input/output to max?

I then tried mixing in the desired amount using the pot on the back of the amp. Sounded really weird - the trails were louder than the initial note. By the way, this was only setting the delay patch itself to 100% wet, not the whole unit. Do I need to set the whole unit to 100% output, then mess with the dial on the back or?

Can someone help me out here?

You need to set the volume inside the - lets say - delay menu to 100%.

Btw: For me thats way too much tweaking anyway. The Major is good enough to use it serial with Herbert and Einstein.

>|<>QBB<
Random Hero":03aa0 said:
>|<>QBB<

Interesting, so you run the loop volume on the rear of the amp to max?

Yep, and then set the output of the TC to about 70%...all wet signal. Works great, and I can't hear any discernable noise when the loop is in...even when switching patches. It's as quiet as a mouse, and quick as one, too!

>|<>QBB<
duesentrieb":8f381 said:
You need to set the volume inside the - lets say - delay menu to 100%.

Btw: For me thats way too much tweaking anyway. The Major is good enough to use it serial with Herbert and Einstein.

I'll try it in the serial, tomorrow.

yep, now in most amps series loops sound like dump, but peter really does know what hes doing, you have heard my live clips, and that was just some line 6 pedals when i had that endorsement, sounds even better now with the tc unit. series will eliminate ALOT of level balancing between effects and amp.
good luck

Back