Renegade head sounds pretty bad ass.

hammer jammer

Just a note I deleted any comments I may have made in regard to some problems I have been having with my Renegade head, after time to think about the situation and heating up the tube socket solder joints I feel I was too critical in my assessment of Egnater Amps in general and I realized my comments were unfair and over critical due to my frustration at the time. (Sh*t happens, and probably more so with tubes than not).

Anyway after heating up the solder joints and running my head I actually couldnt believe the tone I was getting out of this thing, it made me realize why I liked it to begin with, ........not to say I feel I resolved the issue completely, the clean channel is much quieter than the drive channel, quite a but quieter, though that could be by default,...... but i have to say the drive channel; shines better than when I got it, but Im sure that has alot to do with the KT66 tubes I installed which by now are burning in nicely.

If you like SRV and the Blues, you really owe it to yourself to try the Tung Sol KT66's, you wont be disappointed.

To be fair, I almost never used the drive channel previously, but I can say I will be doing so in the future as its quite good with the KT66's

I also ordered a Carvin X100B head and am anxious to try them side by side...I almost bought the AXE-FX Mark II and said the heck with tubes, until I realized every guy with an AXE-FX is trying to make it sound like its tube....no thanks I will just have to do like all the other tube guys and learn my shit about my amps, and deal with it....its easy to forget the price Bruce or any of these other amp makers have paid to get where they are, especially now days with the easy street life America and our youth are stuck living in, but Im damn sure they spent countless hours pouring over frustrating issues before they got it figured out, so who am I to bitch about a few problems when I can do the same thing and put the time and effort into figuring it out and making it happen.

So all in all I apologize if I offended anyone or turned anybody away, right now I am listening to SRV, Lenny cranked thru my amp in the back ground and being grateful that I live in a time when there are so many guys building so much cool gear....thank you Bruce for putting up with the sh*t you do and thank you Jeff for your contributions to the Renegade.

I noticed that my Channel 1 Clean is a lot quieter than the Gain Channel 2 as well.
posted in your other thread about that.

yeh, i was impressed with the Renegade. i went to find a 2x12 cab to keep around the house. i wanted Orange but after playing the Tourmaster 2x12 i was sold on it. i played the cab with a Renegade, i had no intentions on buying another amp head that day but it came home with me anyways haha!

I've read a lot of negative press on Egnater amps and the Renegade in particular. I've had my Renegade head and TM 212 for a couple of years now. Other than a blown fuse, I've had no issues with the Renegade. I can get the reverb distortion issue to rear its ugly head but I prefer some slight slap echo anyway. I also changed out some of the tubes for NOS and the amp sounds better IMO than the stock stuff. The Renegade and TM 212 are a great match for classic rock. I also run an '82 2204 through the cab with equal success.

Back