Getting the most out of my Renegade.

startrekmike

I have owned a Renegade 1x12 combo for a little over a year now and love the amp dearly. It's tone is so full and versatile.

That being said, I recently upgraded the pickups on my Stratocaster to custom shop 69's and find myself craving a slightly more "blackface" style clean. I know that the Renegade clean is modeled more closely on the Bassman so I don't expect any terribly exact results, I suppose I am really just looking for some tips on how some of you approach the Renegade clean channel and how you adjust the EQ, Density, and presence knobs.

To get a little more specific, I would like to find a way to tame some of the mid-range it the clean channel so I can get something not unlike John Mayer's "scooped" clean tones. Would getting a cheap(ish) EQ pedal (like a Dano Fish and chips) and putting it in the effects loop do anything for that?

Again, I know I won't get anything exact, I am just looking for a fresh approach, a new mindset in which to approach the clean channel. The second channel is fine, I have already dialed in a very nice mild overdrive tone that plays very well with my existing setup.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight that you all can offer.

Back