New fan for Renegade 1x12

guitar54

Anyone know where I can get a better than OEM replacement fan? I'm on fan number 2 and now it's making noises less than a year later - I use the amp mostly at home...go figure.

Thanks - Chris

Search the forum here. This has come up before. I am pretty sure that Egnater themselves has sent out some quieter replacements.

I've already received a replacement from Egnater but that too has not turned noisy...I now want to get a high quality replacement so that I don't have to go through this again....

guitar54":96wx16rd said:
I've already received a replacement from Egnater but that too has not turned noisy...I now want to get a high quality replacement so that I don't have to go through this again....

Why do you want to replace it if it hasn't gotten noisy? Why wouldn't you just wait until/if it gets noisy, then replace it. It's the same amount of work one way or the other. :confused:

I got a replacement from Egnater a year and a half ago and it is still fine. I'll be honest though, the original probably wouldn't have been audible on a quiet stage. But it did have an irritating mechanical grinding sound that was noticeable for home use. My new fan is much better in this regard and still cannot be heard on a dead quite stage. Ambient room noise completely blocks it.

I suspect home users are the only ones who ever have a problem with the fans. This makes sense though. I think you need to know that regardless of the fan, it will be noticeable at home. I had a PV Classic with a fan. A high quality, metal, heavy, badass fan. And it's whir was a constant feature of the amp when I used it at home. If a completely silent amp for home use is what you desire, the Renegade probably isn't for you.

Good luck!

Maybe I wasn't clear - sorry

My original fan became noisy - quite bad - like bad bearing - squealing. Nate or someone from Egnater sent me a new fan - super quiet - but now that same fan is becoming noisy - sounding like the first - getting occasional squeals. Therefore, I need a new fan.

Even on-stage - the thing is obnoxious - my Egnater 1x12 tone is amazing - as long as not tone from the fan... :scared:

Hi Chris, a few things you can do. You can replace the fan with any PC Case Fan, Nexus are very good but the Akasa LED Case fans are as good as you need. You will need to take the white plastic connecter off the Egnater fan, its quite easy. You don't need the Yellow/White wire on the new fan. You'll need to solder the Egnater connecter onto your new fan and your good to go. A few other things you can do....I have put a Zalman FanMate on my fan, this lets you turn down the power of the fan to stop it being so loud. It also reduces air flow, so I placed four rubber feet on the front Egnater grill under the screws this will give you a small gap between the amp chassis and the grill, and you can feel cool air being sucked through this gap. It's then just a mater of reducing the power of the fan till you stop hearing it. The fan on Renegade amps is very important, YOU DO NEED IT. A new fan, a FanMate and the gap has stopped the fan noise being noticeable when playing quiet at home but has also reduced the temperature build up in the amp, which is good, then when I'm playing a gig I just turn the Zalman fanMate up full, Easy.

IMG_01.jpg

IMG_02.jpg

IMG_03.jpg

IMG_04.jpg

IMG_05.jpg

IMG_06.jpg

IMG_07.jpg

IMG_08.jpg

IMG_09.jpg

IMG_10.jpg

Hope this helps.

It would make my amp a blue light special! I'd look like K-Mart onstage - but do appreciate your efforts. I did get and email from Nate and he told me more - so I'm going to go out and buy my own hi quality fan - not sure if it will be blue or not! Again - Thanks Keith.

The Blue fan was just for the photos, the camera flash would bleach out everything, so I used the blue LED fan to illuminate the inside of the amp head. All the photos were done about a year ago for someone else on the forum. I use a Nexus 80mm case fan "SP902512L-03", they run at 17dB, on the box it say's they are the Worlds Quietest Fan. They are Black with a white fan with no LEDs. I use the Zalman FanMate to tune out vibrations that sound through the amp head shell that can be louder than air pressure noise. When I run loud and hot at a gig the air coming out of the back of the amp head grill is noticeably cool.

Final (hopefully) update. You are gonna laugh. Put the new fan in - it was noisier than what Nate sent me...so I put the Nate fan back in BUT used the FanMate - so I can turn the fan down if using the amp at home since I'm not driving the heck out of out and I now have the option to crank it when rocking. So this solution seems to be working AOK....stop laughing!!!

Actually I'm still chuckling...anyone wanna buy a new fan? (ha)

oops, The best fan I ever had was a freebie at a trade fair in Hong Kong, the fan blades looked like a golf ball, but I never found out who made them, no name on the fan, not that I looked that hard.....I'm sad but not that sad. My Marshall 9100 power amp has a 24v fan that weighs a ton and seems to be built to last but these computer case fans are too cheap and need to be replaced all too soon.

Back