Tweaker 88 with crackling early break up HELP

brokenfixed

I'm getting a crackling distorted breakup on my clean channel even when played soft at low volume. I haven't noticed it on channel 2 but that's obviously distorted anyway.

Anyone else had this problem? I was thinking about changing the power tubes because I was hearing some harmonic tube rattle last week. Then I noticed this crackling on the clean channel and thought it might be the preamp tube.

alright I did some checking around the other night, changed the V1 & V2 tubes and messed around with cables and whatnot. I'm hearing a low frequency audio "pop" intermittently happening when the amp has been played a while. The best I can describe it would be that "pop" you get when you unplug a pedal and plug it back in.

So I switched cords and plugged a bass in because I don't have a second guitar, and the problem still happens.

What do you think, throw some new power tubes in there? Anyone know the bias test points and values for the Tweaker 88?

Well, I am not really knowledgeable enough, but the fact that it happens after the amp has been played awhile suggest the possibility of something heating up. You might try some new power tubes- always good to have extras anyway- or at least make sure the ones you have aren't biased too hot. Bias can drift over time so it should be checked periodically anyway even if that isn't the problem.

I'm assuming theyre different than tweaker 40? Well the points, obviously the ratings are different.

Is this something people email them about usually?

The procedure is attached here. Be aware of the 590 volt power supply inside !!!!! Be extremely careful if you must go inside, which I do not recommend or endorse unless you are experienced. It will not be funny if you touch the wrong thing. Note, the values on the drawing are the sum of current of both tubes. Because of this summing, you should always use reasonably match tubes so the current will divide evenly. Thanks

Attachments

• TWEAKER88_BIAS SET_.pdf
    194.4 KB · Views: 513
Back