Renegade pre-amp tubes

smisco

For you guys who have tried different combinations of pre-amp tubes in a Renegade. What are your favorites and why---

Thanks---

I've been through several different combinations over the years and always come back to all Tung Sols. Honestly I don't find a huge difference in changing tubes that some claim to but the Tung Sols always work well for me. I would say they're probably not as bright as some I've tried which I like. Be sure to get them from a reputable specialty tube dealer, quality does vary and you're sure to get to best ones there.

In your preamp , if you want crunchy distortion in you overdrive socket use new Tungsol 12ax7
If you want a singing sustain with silky beautiful highs use a Tungsram 12ax7 if you can afford one !
3rd Is the Sylvania long black plate 12ax7 , smooth distortion think Richie Blackmore Smoke on the water lead sound.
4th less highs than Sylvania - the RCA long black plate is a beautiful OD , words do not describe the colorful texture of the tone you will hear.

The 70s and 80s Ei 12ax7 out crunch with more explosive bottom notes than any New Tungsol 12ax7.
But use in a head due to microphonics get going in combo amps

I have two renegades. One came stock with all sovtek 12ax7 wa's, Ruby el34 bht, sovtek 5881 wxt. The other came with tung sols in the first two slots and sovtek in the others. Power tubes were ruby bht and ruby 6l6gc? To get a good compare I put sovtek 5881 wxt's in that amp. The tung sols are smoother, warmer, and a little more even across the spectrum. The wa's have more lows, low mids, and a little more fizz on top. The wa's seem a little punchier. I've tried a bunch of different combos. Tung sol in v1, chinese in v2-v5, and a sovtek lps in pi. These sound great as well and makes the amp more refined, smoother, warmer. In the end, there's really nothing wrong with the original stock wa's and at times I like them best. Granted I play through fairly warm cabs. Bogner OS 2x12's. One with Creamback M's and the other with Creamback H and WGS ET65.

Back