kruts

I'm having difficulty in classifying the dirty modules:

SL
SL2
EG3/4
C.O.D
ERET
MHG

I think I have SL and SL2 figured out... marshall super lead and a hot rodded marshall. The C.O.D sounds like a mesa IIC. I'm having difficulty in what the EG3/4, ERET, and MHG sound like... specifically which amp would you associate these with?

Is the EG5 the same as the MHG? On Egnater's website it seems to be an old reference.

Now, if you had to choose 4 modules for the M4, which ones would you get (BMAN, T/D, VX, SL, SL2, EG3/4, COD, ERET, MHG).

Erect = Mesa Dual Rectifier
EG 3/4 = CH3 and CH4 of the Egnater IE4 and Mica 100 amps
MHG - modern high gain. self explanatory
EG-5 = Like an MHG, but with way more mids. more soldano-ey

I recommend

T/D
VX
SL2 or EG 3/4
EG5

Guitarslinger's descriptions are correct. His module choices are good too, but if it was up to me Id pick:

BMan
COD
SL2
EG5

EWSEthan":32efhw3i said:
Guitarslinger's descriptions are correct. His module choices are good too, but if it was up to me Id pick:

BMan
COD
SL2
EG5

How would you describe the COD? Also, why do you prefer the BMan over the T/D? Thanks for your opinion!

guitarslinger":1d0o0mg1 said:
Erect = Mesa Dual Rectifier
EG 3/4 = CH3 and CH4 of the Egnater IE4 and Mica 100 amps
MHG - modern high gain. self explanatory
EG-5 = Like an MHG, but with way more mids. more soldano-ey

I recommend

T/D
VX
SL2 or EG 3/4
EG5

What could you compare the EG 3/4 to? I'm not familiar with the Egnater IE4 nor Mica 100 amps.

Also, would you say that the MHG is close to a bogner XTC in voicing?

Thanks!

kruts":3iihm036 said:
What could you compare the EG 3/4 to? I'm not familiar with the Egnater IE4 nor Mica 100 amps.

Also, would you say that the MHG is close to a bogner XTC in voicing?

Thanks!

1. The EG 3/4 actually sounds kinda like the solo in "don't stop believin'"

2. I've never played an MHG or an Ecstacy, but from what I've heard and the fact that I own the Randall XTC module and an EG5, I'd say the Ecstacy would be smoother and more along the lines of the EG 3/4 or SL-2. The MHG is going to be more scooped and modern like an Engl Powerball or something.

BTW, I sold my Bman module because it sounded boring without single coils and broke up too early for me. The VX is absolutely inspiring though. breathtaking, really.

COD is supposed to be like a Dumble crossed with a Mesa MkII tone. I thought it didn't have enough gain when I played it. I couldn't get into it.

EG3/4 is a smoother, browner tone compared to the SL2. Still very Marshally. Similar amounts of gain.

Guitarslinger, you found the Vx to have more headroom than the BMan?!? That was not my experience at all. I couldnt get really anything really clean out of the Vx, even on channel A.

T/D is a real pristine clean with lots of headroom. The BMan is warmer with still quite a bit of headroom.

MHG sounds killer by itself but doesnt cut in the mix. Its been replaced by the EG5. EG5 is very Soldano, Diezel. Hi-Fi clear high gain. XTC is somewhere between SL2 and EG5.

COD is a like a Dumble or Two Rock. People like to say Mesa Mark too, but they mean Santana, not Petrucci or Chevelle!

EWSEthan":2ga58yph said:
EG3/4 is a smoother, browner tone compared to the SL2. Still very Marshally. Similar amounts of gain.

Guitarslinger, you found the Vx to have more headroom than the BMan?!? That was not my experience at all. I couldnt get really anything really clean out of the Vx, even on channel A.

T/D is a real pristine clean with lots of headroom. The BMan is warmer with still quite a bit of headroom.

MHG sounds killer by itself but doesnt cut in the mix. Its been replaced by the EG5. EG5 is very Soldano, Diezel. Hi-Fi clear high gain. XTC is somewhere between SL2 and EG5.

COD is a like a Dumble or Two Rock. People like to say Mesa Mark too, but they mean Santana, not Petrucci or Chevelle!

I found the same as Guitarslinger w/ respects to the BMAN vs the VX. I thought the VX ChA had more headroom than the BMAN ChA. I really like the VX all around more than the BMAN, but that's me. I found the VX to spank the BMAN in every way imaginable :). I love my DLX too. I liked it better than the T/D. I really liked the gritty compressed sound of the D side of the T/D, so I have channels of that sound w/ the DLX :). But, I really do like the T/D too :).

aeroic":3t8tzerw said:
EWSEthan":3t8tzerw said:

I found the same as Guitarslinger w/ respects to the BMAN vs the VX. I thought the VX ChA had more headroom than the BMAN ChA. I really like the VX all around more than the BMAN, but that's me. I found the VX to spank the BMAN in every way imaginable :). I love my DLX too. I liked it better than the T/D. I really liked the gritty compressed sound of the D side of the T/D, so I have channels of that sound w/ the DLX :). But, I really do like the T/D too :).

Egnater's website does not have a DLX... has it been discontinued?

kruts":1jo5w6ww said:
aeroic":1jo5w6ww said:
EWSEthan":1jo5w6ww said:

Egnater's website does not have a DLX... has it been discontinued?

The DLX is basically 2 channels of the T/D's ChB (DLX). They are selling the T/D mainly, but I am guessing they can make you a DLX if you need one.

Eric

Have you checked out the video clips Eddie did at Indoor Storm? The COD and EG5 isn't included in those clips, but the clips of the modules that he does demo is worth checking out.

http://www.indoorstorm.com/egnater/mod50.htm

I'm trying to make up my mind on modules and the discontinued DLX module is one that impresses me quite a bit. I did check with Frank and Jeff and it can still be made by custom order, so I'm pretty sure that's one module I plan to get.

Regards, JD...

JDA":1zc7zfwr said:
Have you checked out the video clips Eddie did at Indoor Storm? The COD and EG5 isn't included in those clips, but the clips of the modules that he does demo is worth checking out.

http://www.indoorstorm.com/egnater/mod50.htm

I'm trying to make up my mind on modules and the discontinued DLX module is one that impresses me quite a bit. I did check with Frank and Jeff and it can still be made by custom order, so I'm pretty sure that's one module I plan to get.

Regards, JD...

Thanks!!!! These are great videos and will definitely help me make a decision.

Back