Vox Module & Mesa 20/20 Power Amp & Country Tones

JDA

Hi,
I'm thinking about ordering the M4 and had a few questions. I'm more into country tones nowadays, but still want my marshall rock tones too. :)

I own the IE4 and those tones are great and I have no plans to sell it. However the Vox, Deluxe, SL2 modules make me want to get the M4 for some other tones.

Here's my questions:

1) Vox Module - How's the clean headroom on Channel A with a Tele single coils? I'd like to get that Brad Paisley Dr. Z type tone and I'm thinking this module might get me close enough.

2) Mesa 20/20 Power Amp - Has anyone tried this Power Amp and what's your thoughts on it? I know most people recommend the VHT 2/50/2 and I use to own one and it's a good amp. I sold it because of my bad back and need something lighter and the Mesa 20/20 seems like a possible solution.

I have no idea how well the 20/20 sounds with the M4 or IE4, but it's probably better than my current Rocktron Velocity 150. :) I've read about the "Deep Mod" for the 20/20 and thought about asking Bruce, if he could do a mod to add a Density Control to it. I don't really need a whole lot of power, so mostly interested the tone and portability factor.

3) Is there going to be an Egnater Power Amp in the near future and is there any info on it?

Thanks! JD...

If you get a 20/20 the deep mod works very well...and it's something you can do yourself. The stock amp sounds awful compared to a modded one IMO.

If I do go with the 20/20, I'll keep that mod in mind. I still need to find out what a new 20/20 is selling for these days.

Thanks! JD...

I don't know JDA. I played my IE4 and M4 through that power amp many years before I got my MOD 50 and before that my Randall RM50HB head. I noticed a seriously huge improvement in tone running my M4 into the power amp of the Randall. WAY BETTER.

My recomendation, wait and buy an Egnater Rebel at Guitar Center when they come out and run your pre-amp through a real Egnater power section by plugging into the effects return jack. I think you will happier & sound better. They are only going to go for around $500.

3MS,

I had considered getting a Dr Z Maz Jr and running the M4 through the fx return jack like you mentioned instead of buying a separate power amp. It's kind of tough to decide on what's the better option, since I can't try them both out before purchase.

Thanks! JD...

Yea, exactly, that's the bitch of it. I bought a VHT Pitbull, also a EL84 based amp. Tried running my M4/IE4 through that. Nope. I was stuck on EL84 for a while. I do not know why because I honestly think the modules sound WAY, WAY better through the big boy tubes like 6L6, EL35 and the 5881. Try taking it out to some stores and just try some stuff. So many amps have effects returns that something is bound to turn up.

Total safe bet? Randall RM50 head. These can run as low as $450 on eBay . And it's a great spare module storage space too. ;)

:thumbsup:

3 Mile Stone":uce1ewbh said:
I don't know JDA. I played my IE4 and M4 through that power amp many years before I got my MOD 50 and before that my Randall RM50HB head. I noticed a seriously huge improvement in tone running my M4 into the power amp of the Randall. WAY BETTER.

My recomendation, wait and buy an Egnater Rebel at Guitar Center when they come out and run your pre-amp through a real Egnater power section by plugging into the effects return jack. I think you will happier & sound better. They are only going to go for around $500.

And to boot you get the variable power and tube mix!

My stock Mesa 20/20 sounds awesome with my M4 (VX,TWIN, EG5, ERECT).
A pleasant change from my KT88'd VHT 2/90/2...

I've not done the deep mod on mine, but may look into it to see if it really does help improve the tone, but I would fear not the stock 20/20, it's a bad little power amp with more than enough power for whatever you're doing.
Don't be fooled by thinking it's not got enough balls.

Thanks guys for the replies and info.

I've been thinking about it alot and with my bad back issues, I really need to choose bones over tones. :) I think I'm going to take my chances and go with the Mesa 20/20. Using the fx loop of a head is a great idea, but then I'd loose the grab and go portability of having everything in a single rack.

Thanks! JD...

Jimosity,
On the Yahoo Triaxis Group there is a "Deep Mod" where one guy installed toggle switches on the front of the 20/20, so he could choose either option on the fly. There is a schematic and pics showing the Mod in the photo section.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Triaxis/

This pic shows the deep mod toggle switches between the volume and presence controls. I'd imagine someone who knew what they were doing could figure a way to use a small potentiometer in place of the toggle to be able to dial in different amounts. JD...

deepmod1.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on this "deep" mod to the 20/20? I'm pretty electronics capable.

I've got a 20/20 that I frankly don't like as much as some other power amps, but I simply can't beat the size and weight of it.

gdgross,

Below is the info I found on the Triaxis Yahoo Group regarding the "Deep Mod" for the 20/20. I don't own a 20/20 yet, so I never performed the mod and don't know much about it. There's another mod over there called the AT Deep Mod that has info on how to install toggle switches and other parts, so you can select either mode. JD...

Please be careful when working inside any amps, because the voltage can be deadly!

"Ok, I thought I remembered reading in the reviews for this amp (on the HC database) that there was an explanation on how to do the mod. I just found it. Here ya go:

1. Take off the cover
2. Locate the 12ax7 input tube closest to the input jacks, this will be the farthest tube to the left if standing behing the amp with the tubes pointing to you.
3. Look at the circut board the input tube is mounted on. Slightly below the tube on each side of it, you'll see a series of capacitors / resistors. These are miniture "sausage" looking things about a 1/4" long, running up and down. Some are tan/brown with stripes, some aren't.
4. You'll see one in each grouping per side that is different. They are a bit smaller than the rest, NO STRIPES, and are a yellowish/tan color, and have tapered ends. THESE ARE THE ONES YOU WANT TO REMOVE.
5. One is very easy since its by itself to the left of the input tube. The other one on the opposite side is in between the other "sausage" looking devices (resistors).
6. I removed them by heating the back side of the circut board where its soldered in. Using very long, thin needle nose pliers (or a long thin screw driver). I disconnect on side of the capacitor from the circut board. Gently pry out the connection while applying the heat to the connection.
7. Repeat on the other side. Be careful not to damage the resistors next to it.

Enjoy the sound. If you don't like it, re-solder the connection. Thats why its good to only remove one end, its easier to re-connect.

You'll notice the perceived volume drops a bit. Thats because your ears aren't getting "slammed" with all the previous midrange. I like that because now I can open up my amp and preamp a bit more and not blow out my ears. You will have to modify your current bass and treble/presence settings since you've changed the overall sound."

deepmod2.jpg

Your welcome and glad I could help. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the 20/20 and I'd be interested in how well you like the Deep Mod.

Good Luck! JD...

If you're savvy and feeling randy enough, you can just wire up a DPDT switch to these resistors to switch them in and out of the circuit as you like. Then just mount that switch the front or rear panel and you have your Deep Mod available to be engaged or disengaged any time you want. :thumbsup:

That's a cool mod. Yea teh 20/20 has a ton of power and volume. It's just that I like the tone of the other tubes better and thought that the modules came to life with them. If you want light & small and single rack space there is nothing else out there that compares really.

Are you buying a new one or used?

Back