Cool your Rebel 30 112 & Void your warranty simultaneously!

pacair

Since I bought a non-working used Rebel 30 I knew I had no warranty going into the project. Using the factory-provided "secret" schematics (few component identifications but enough roadmap for an experienced tech to follow) I repaired the amp (4 distinctly different problems... cracked volume pot, broken Fast-on connector, bad solder joint on a transistor lead and one intermittent solder joint on a resistor). Not the easiest or fastest repair but a long Saturday afternoon did the trick.

While checking the amp for real (with a guitar as opposed to a signal generator and an oscilloscope), I was really digging to tones this little baby creates! I own a couple of Renegades as well so I am not totally inexperienced with the Egnater family tone. After I had about an hour on this little gem with all systems functioning, I noticed how hot the control panel was. None of my Renegades suffered from this heat build-up because they came with fans and top vents! I decided right then and there to add a fan to my Rebel 30.

I decided that a 12Vdc fan was the way to go for low electrical noise plus this was the style of fan used in the Renegades so I wanted to replicate that experience. I looked through my fan collection but the only 12Vdc ball-bearing fan I had in the appropriate size was a fancy blue-LED computer fan. Oh well. a little bling never hurt anyone:

Rebel30_Fan_Rear2s.jpg

I mounted the fan to the grill through the existing slots (no holes drilled) with two 1/2" standoffs and a few stainless-steel 6/32 screws (with flat washers) I had in my miscellaneous hardware pile. I used a matching computer fan cable to interface the fan to the output PC board (just above the AC cord socket) at the unregulated 16Vdc point (the top wire to the chassis-mounted 12Vdc pass-transistor below) allowed me to have a disconnect point to allow easy amp servicing in the future without having the remove the fan as well. The ground wire was soldered to a convenient ground nearby at the bottom of the board at a Fast-on connection point. I used a 27 ohm 2W resistor in series with the 16Vdc to drop the voltage down to 12Vdc for the fan and tie-wrapped the cabling up to prevent future problems.

Rebel30_Fan_Rear3s.jpg

Now the amp runs VERY cool and the control panel hovers barely over ambient temperature. I know this will increase the longevity of the amplifier and I feel much better about how cool it runs. This fan does not seem to effect the amp electrically in anyway I can hear or measure. I think this is a thoroughly desirable mod that is relatively easy to make if you are a craftsman of reasonable quality and if you don't have to worry about your warranty. If you regularly record through a microphone rather than the direct output you may want to add a fan switch (which could also mount in the metal grill if you use a mini or sub-mini toggle switch).

NOTE: Before anyone points out that the impedance switch is in the 8-ohm position I want to clarify that I have the matching extension cabinet and I use them as a pair exclusively so the switch is always in the 8-ohm position on purpose. The photos were taken with the amp in Standby mode anyway!

Steve

I'm glad you enjoyed my little experiment! I always try to share ideas and such since I have learned much from other people's projects. This is what the internet is the best at!

Steve

I've done something similar on other amps before - this one is super clean though. Great job.

I don't think you mentioned if you mounted it blowing in or out...

Are the tubes and transformers down in that area?

I have it sucking air from the outside (low pressure) and blowing IN (higher pressure) to force some airflow around the chassis and out any orifice it can find. If I tried to blow out, the fan might be less efficient because it would suck some outside air around itself and negate some of the sucking power. By sucking from the unrestricted outside and blowing into a semi-restricted interior I can create a positive pressure to promote a better airflow inside the amp.

Also, the fan is mounted below the heat sources (cooler air) and blowing that cooler air around the hotter parts or the interior promoting the heat to move until it rises to find the nearest exit point.

The fan a behind a transformer and just to the side of the EL84 set of output tubes. I tried to mount the fan as far over as possible so I am not blowing directly on the tubes. One of them catches a little air but most makes it into the interior!

Steve

Back