Which would you use as a standalone distortion?

Picked up the three button Plexitone about an hour ago. Brought it home and ran it through my little practice rig.
Sounds really good. Has a ton of headroom. Must be the power source. The notes are so punchy. They don't collapse like most pedals. Wow.
Looking forward to my recording session tomorrow. I'll try to use it with an Aldrich loaded, rosewood board, Stratocaster and the JTM45.

Badronald":dt99dp9x said:
yeti":dt99dp9x said:
can anyone tell me (that has played both the red and blue bogner pedals...)

does the red cover more ground of the blue

or does the blue cover more ground of the red (or maybe with a boost).

im interested in picking up one of the two....not sure which one to get though....

looking for all around versatility.

I think the Red does. Waaay more gain. The Blue needs to be wound up quite a bit to approach a strong level of gain. It have very little gain.

Between the blue, red, and ubershcall I liked the Red the most. It has a good amount of high gain AND tone. Plus, it is great for light distortion, gritty blues, all the way up to Metal territory.
The Blue tends to lighter distortion and gritty blues, but not much high gain.
The Uberschall was a disappointment. I thought since the Red has such great tone and great amount of distortion and gain, then the Uberschall should destroy and be THE pedal for over the top Metal.
It wasn't. It was sterile in tone and didn't have more gain than the Red. Really surprised.

Of the 3, go RED for greatest versatility, well at least from my point of view. :)

i used to work in a guitar shop and have played through quite a few different distortion/overdrive pedals through various types of amps, SS and tube, so far the older bigger 3 button plexitone sounded the best to me through a fryette to a fender pro jr.

I've been always looking for a standalone that'll work through something like a Jazz Chorus and I can honestly say I haven't found a single pedal that does the job well enough. A long time ago the closest thing was the MI Audio Tube Zone, but I think it's the speakers in the jazz chorus that just makes any distortion put through it sound like schmutz.

However, if a pedal works and sounds decent through a stock JC120, it can only sound better through other amps, especially tube amps IMO.

I would think the Bogner Red would feel and sound bigger and better than the Triple Wreck.

I don't think I could do better than the Bogner pedals.

Heritage Softail":1tt5249d said:
Wampler Triple Wreck! FTW. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Beast in a box....

I have a Red. Pretty good pedal. Does not get close to the Wreck.

If you are dead set on getting a Red, shoot me a PM. BUT.... For a stand alone pedal to get you to evil grind, that ain't it.

Hermida Audio Mosferatu and thank me in the morning. Makes any amp sound good. Really works well with SS IMHO and I hate hate hate SS.

Get a three button Plexitone and be done with it.....It reacts properly with your guitar volume knob...
The pedal works so well it made a Vox Valvetronics
sound good.....

I have an SL Drive and I can honestly tell you that it is amazing. I'm running it into a 65 Amps Ventura set pretty clean. Pedal board is a Pedaltrain Nano with a Volto for power. SL Drive > EP Booster > HOF mini > Amp. Fantastic Marshally tones and portable as can be.

Man I loved the Bogner Red, best high gain pedal I ever owned...and people are saying the Triple Wreck is even superior to that?! Damn, if I hadn't got to this point I'm at now where I want the majority of gain from my amps vs a pedal, I'd definitely be on the look out to sample the Wampler TW, must be incred. :rock:

Back