Duncan Invader?

anomaly

I'm interested in trying one in a ESP Viper I have. Some say it's great, others say it's all low end and muddy. What's the real deal? How would it compare to say a Duncan Distortion? cause i'm really familiar with that one.

I have one in my LP and I love it. High output but not crazy high. Very smooth tone, it rolls off the ice pick highs. Very musical also played clean through a Fender HRDLX .

20150417_192647.jpg

I really like them for high gain stuff, but they're pretty sterile and lifeless for cleans unless you can coil tap them.

leib10":3jbf9ioy said:
I really like them for high gain stuff, but they're pretty sterile and lifeless for cleans unless you can coil tap them.

^^^I agree with this^^^ I have a set in a RG 1570.
I have a Dimarzio Super Distortion in a Charvel and it kills for "80's Rock" Tones! :rock:

I always liked them. Then do have a lot of low end, but the real star is the mids. People always forget to mention that. They have a spike in the mid-mids. It kind of sounds like you have a tubescreamer on all time.

Compared to the Distortion, it's way darker. Personally, I hate it, I found it to be dull and toneless.

I was not a fan of the invader at all. I've tried a ton of pickups over the years and I thought it was wimpy and relatively low output for what it's supposed to be.

UberKrankenschtein":2wjf1ztc said:
I was not a fan of the invader at all. I've tried a ton of pickups over the years and I thought it was wimpy and relatively low output for what it's supposed to be.

Low output? I've always been told it is a very high output pickup??

I think I might pass on trying this one out?? Might just get a Tom Anderson H3 instead, cause i have used them before and I know they sound good.

anomaly":25hlefjh said:
UberKrankenschtein":25hlefjh said:

Low output? I've always been told it is a very high output pickup??

I think I might pass on trying this one out?? Might just get a Tom Anderson H3 instead, cause i have used them before and I know they sound good.

Keep in mind I own some of the hottest pickups known to man lol I have a Seymour Duncan Live Wire Metal pickup that is so high output it has no clean tones at all at any volume, and only needs to be turned up to about 2 on any high gain amp, otherwise it makes the amp sound like it has tons of sag. I also use/like Carvins m22's, Seymour Duncan AHB3 Mick Thimpson Signature Blackout pickup.

Of all the pickups I have ever tried... The Invader was by far my least favorite. To me it was pure mudsville.

Invaders are voiced for guitars with mahogany bodies. They sound like crap in any other guitar.

I have had great luck with them. I think they should get more credit than they do get. I also feel the same way about the Screaming Demon as well. Very good pickup.....again, it all comes down to guitar woods, style, amps, expectations. :)

Back