Metroplex vs. Wizard MCII

Are the Modern Classics Marshall-based? I had read somewhere they they had more of a Hiwatt quality to them compared to the other Wizard heads.

wizard_users_1.jpg

George makes fine stuff but .... WIZARD ME

i dont have a mc2 but i do have a mtl

i would say that it is mostly marshall but with hiwatt flavor for sure.

to my ears and what george says about the metroplex it is pure old marshall!

i myself and looking at the metroplex and the colby mod machine

Man Metroplex... that's some good gas to have.

Only downside for me is the pcb construction. I'd prefer tag board or point to point wiring done by George and maybe a tube buffered loop for that price, but whatever, the thing does sound killer!

The more I hear that Metro amp the more I dislike it. All of the notes have a slight after sound that isn't pleasant. Almost like it makes the guitar sound out of tune? I don't hear that on any of the clips Reza or others posted.

that is what you hear on all those old cranked up plexi's

a little bit of ghosting due to the lower filtering in the power sections of those old amps i think

Guitarnobody":3nsie7iq said:
The more I hear that Metro amp the more I dislike it. All of the notes have a slight after sound that isn't pleasant. Almost like it makes the guitar sound out of tune? I don't hear that on any of the clips Reza or others posted.

The only way to answer this is by someone who has played both or has A/B'd them. Guys responding by clips is useless.

in a best case scenario for sure

but i dont think there are a whole lot of metro plex out there.

glip22":3qzv83xq said:
The only way to answer this is by someone who has played both or has A/B'd them. Guys responding by clips is useless.

That is what drives me nuts about the plexis. The stock power supply is the first thing to go when I get one.

fuzzyguitars":1o96uu8n said:

a little bit of ghosting due to the lower filtering in the power sections of those old amps i think

Guitarnobody":1o96uu8n said:

Greazygeo":3tfnyaqo said:
That is what drives me nuts about the plexis. The stock power supply is the first thing to go when I get one.

fuzzyguitars":3tfnyaqo said:

Guitarnobody":3tfnyaqo said:

Yeah, that ghosting is the worst IMO. A slight addition to filtering from 32/32 to 50/50 makes a world of difference in the old Plexi's.

Guitarnobody":zne62w2z said:
Greazygeo":zne62w2z said:

fuzzyguitars":zne62w2z said:

Guitarnobody":zne62w2z said:

Yeah, that ghosting is the worst IMO. A slight addition to filtering from 32/32 to 50/50 makes a world of difference in the old Plexi's.
I can never get rid of it in older 100 watt Marshalls. I only tried as far back as PTP Superleads. I hate ghosting. Wizard does none of it. My old MCI had it bad before the revisions. I know a member who has the Wizard(has had all of the Wizards) and a MetroPlex. He is going to let me know how the MP did at practice last night. After he played it. He will not mind me posting this. He's a good Dude.

I got it Friday. Haven't had much time to play it. But what little I. Have played it I like a lot. I'm shocked at the amount of gain it has. Taking it to practices tonight to open it up with the band. Stay tuned......

It sounds big for sure. The mod mode has ALOT of gain. Big in a dimed old Marshall kinda way. The cool thing about the metro is the eq section actually works. The slightest adjustment seems to make a big difference in tone. Unlike old Marshall's. Glass tone is there also. George is a good dude. And he knows Marshall's. If you've never worked with him or done business with him before he's first class all the way. I have one of his 12000 series heads as well. Hard to compare to a wizard though. To me the wizard is the one amp out there that definitely has it's own thing going. I'm really looking forward to hearing the metro with the band tonight.

Ugh. Anything but first class.

When I bought a plexi PTP kit from Metro Amps back in the 2Ks, they fucked up the phenolic board layout three times.

In other words, it took them three times to get the terminal layout correct.

I still have them.

Best guess is G. hired one of his dumbass monkey Metro Amp forum moderators to put them together. :LOL: :LOL:

journeyman73":1hlqu7c4 said:
id be curious what your friend thinks of the metroplex vs his 12,000 (ie can the MP absolutely nail the 12,000 tones)
Maybe he will chime in at some point.

jerrydyer":2axet90z said:
just buy both. Youre gonna end up with both anyways. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Kindda what I was thinking! :LOL: :LOL:

Haven't you already had some kind of Wizard before?

I've got both, but my Metro is a kit, and been too lazy to finish it.

Back