Pending NPD Savage Drive just shipped!

harddriver

Looking forward to a NPD... I think I'll really like this pedal, the logic behind the functions/options design layout is very solid, hopefully it will live up to the vids and what's been said about here on RT. :rock:

harddriver":2tyz3tsx said:
Looking forward to a NPD... I think I'll really like this pedal, the logic behind the functions/options design layout is very solid, hopefully it will live up to the vids and what's been said about here on RT. :rock:
nice. I want to try one at some point.

I've had mine for about a week now. It kills :rock:

You wont be disappointed.

I mentioned in another thread that it has multiple good sounding settings, which I find unusual in a boost. I'm seriously thinking about getting another one to have 2 on my board, set to different sounds. It's already kicked the Maxon OD808 to the curb, and I don't think the SD-1 is gonna last either.

Great pedal :thumbsup:

I wonder how this pedal compares to the Fortin Grind. They seem like they'd be similar to me. I've been thinking about buying one, but I don't think anything will replace the Koko boost

mhenson42":yo8a946q said:
I wonder how this pedal compares to the Fortin Grind. They seem like they'd be similar to me. I've been thinking about buying one, but I don't think anything will replace the Koko boost

Very similar, but more versatile than the Grind. I prefer the Savage Drive over the Grind. Sold my Grind. The Koko Boost rocks though.

metalmaniac93":18ttwnqx said:
mhenson42":18ttwnqx said:

Very similar, but more versatile than the Grind. I prefer the Savage Drive over the Grind. Sold my Grind. The Koko Boost rocks though.
I agree. I also prefer the savage to the grind and also prefer the airis proto drive to the grind. The koko boost is cool but it won't be able to do what the savage excels at. It won't be able to add the tightness, attack, or grittiness of the savage, so it may not replace your koko boost but would definitely add something different to your arsenal. I sold my koko boost a while ago since I thought some of my other pedals did what I liked about it at the time but better, but I may wanna try one again since it's gotten a lot of praise lately on here

Well... I received the pedal today and I have to say I am not disappointed, it does deliver a tighter more metal tone than does my Maxon od808. I did A/B them against one another directly going back and forth listening to the nuances. Here's what I heard in the short time spent with it...

The Savage Drive has more gain adjusted at straight up noon than the Maxon does maxed out but we knew that... The savage drive excels at getting a tighter tone with more clarity how I had it set with the dirt and volume at straight up noon, I 'm sure I could dirty up some more with the dirt to grind some more like the Maxon(how much more I'm not sure, with the Burr Brown OPAMP chip which the Savage drive uses which is a HI-FI clarity chip when compared to the Maxon JRC4558).

I'm still goofin with the Bite and Tight knobs but it seems very adjustable and I am sure I could tweak it to replicate my Maxon but I wanted the Savage to be different and tighter and it is.

Now the Maxon was warmer and seemed to have more grind to it but less gain and seemingly less clarity because it was warmer/softer attack but that's what the JRC4558 chip does well. I played them both into my Cameron Inspired Jose modded JCM800 combo with EL34's at lower volume levels.

I can see why this pedal is popular with the all out Metal detuned guys with Recto's and such which is what this pedal is marketed to. I still like my Maxon OD808 for Classic Hard rock ala Badlands/80's rock and won't be selling it but if you need to push your amp with substantially more gain with a tighter response and more clarity the Savage Drive delivers. :rock:

harddriver":19lqf8gg said:
Well... I received the pedal today and I have to say I am not disappointed, it does deliver a tighter more metal tone than does my Maxon od808. I did A/B them against one another directly going back and forth listening to the nuances. Here's what I heard in the short time spent with it...

The Savage Drive has more gain adjusted at straight up noon than the Maxon does maxed out but we knew that... The savage drive excels at getting a tighter tone with more clarity how I had it set with the dirt and volume at straight up noon, I 'm sure I could dirty up some more with the dirt to grind some more like the Maxon(how much more I'm not sure, with the Burr Brown OPAMP chip which the Savage drive uses which is a HI-FI clarity chip when compared to the Maxon JRC4558).

I'm still goofin with the Bite and Tight knobs but it seems very adjustable and I am sure I could tweak it to replicate my Maxon but I wanted the Savage to be different and tighter and it is.

Now the Maxon was warmer and seemed to have more grind to it but less gain and seemingly less clarity because it was warmer/softer attack but that's what the JRC4558 chip does well. I played them both into my Cameron Inspired Jose modded JCM800 combo with EL34's at lower volume levels.

I can see why this pedal is popular with the all out Metal detuned guys with Recto's and such which is what this pedal is marketed to. I still like my Maxon OD808 for Classic Hard rock ala Badlands/80's rock and won't be selling it but if you need to push your amp with substantially more gain with a tighter response and more clarity the Savage Drive delivers. :rock:
:rock: Great review. It really is different enough to justify keeping on the board, I still dig my OD1X with my Jubilee but for a more raunchy thing the Savage rules.

Back