What's your favorite pick Nylon, Ultex, Acrylic, Tortex ?

What's your favorite pick Nylon Ultex or Tortex ?

• Nylon

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Acrylic

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Celluloid

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Tortex

Votes: 42 38.2%
  • Ultex

Votes: 41 37.3%

• Total voters
Docster":3qrnn8df said:
Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III Carbon Fiber - anybody else using these?

I like these picks. I usually use the black nylon Jazz III. It is a little brighter than the red. Adding the carbon fiber to the nylon makes it a little brighter than the normal black and red.

I personally find that kind of grip.. TOO gripy. if that is even a thing.

But again, i do a fair amount of index and thumb rolling for different dynamics and feel. I do know a lot of guys who do like the grip who don't move their pick position in their fingers. they like it in the same place at all time.

I'm in London on business and was lucky enough to see Andy James do a clinic a couple of weeks ago at guitarguitar in Camden. Afterward, he was selling boxes of his branded picks, and I bought some. I LOVE these things, which sucks because Dunlop isn't making more of them! I think they're basically a Jazztone 208, but made of Ultex instead of nylon.

mctallica1":1ccmyl9h said:
I've been using the green tortex for a long time, but this thread caused me to order a few of the Black Fang 94's. We shall see.

Arrived yesterday.

Wasn't expecting to feel or hear much of a difference, but I was WRONG.

I really like these picks. My trusty green tortex have been officially kicked,to the curb.

This seems weird to me, but I actually may back off a little presence on both amps, because these pics sound "brighter" to me.

SpiderWars":204cbt6d said:
stephen sawall":204cbt6d said:
Pickboy makes them. I have a few.
http://www.osiamo.com/products/jazz

They also make this ceramic / nylon pick that is by far the most aggressive sounding pick I have ever heard.

http://www.osiamo.com/osiamohome/ceramic
Cool, thanks Stephen. Just ordered 10 of the white heavies to try. Look for several bags of red Jazz IIIs in the classifieds. Some are even NOS. :shocked:
Got them and here's my first impressions. Keep in mind that I've used Jazz IIIs for a very long time so I'm used to them, anything new/different will likely take an adjustment period.

They are bigger than Jazz IIIs. They also have a sort of 'glassy' character to the material that can make them a little clicky. They are similar to the John Petrucci picks in both regards, bigger and glassier. They are almost exactly the same size as the JP, the Pickboys just have a slightly more angled shoulder. There is no texture to them but can be scored easily enough. They seem to wear well but haven't played it long enough. The tone is very good imo. Aside from the clicky attack I really like the tone. I'll play one of them exclusively for a while and see how it goes.

mctallica1":3lk56yaz said:
mctallica1":3lk56yaz said:
I've been using the green tortex for a long time, but this thread caused me to order a few of the Black Fang 94's. We shall see.

Arrived yesterday.

I really like these picks. My trusty green tortex have been officially kicked,to the curb.

This seems weird to me, but I actually may back off a little presence on both amps, because these pics sound "brighter" to me.
Glad you like them. They are killer...

mctallica1":29qh19jt said:
mctallica1":29qh19jt said:

Arrived yesterday.

Ultex is brighter than Tortex.

It's pretty interesting how different the sound of these various picks can be. I picked up several more to try yesterday.
Like SpiderWars mentioned I have been using the black nylon Jazz III for so many years.... Getting accustom to the different sounds and feel of the various picks does not take long at all.... I don't think I have a favorite anymore.

I'm bumping this thread back up. I've been using much thinner picks more often lately. What I found was I like really pointed picks for most applications.

I also changed my vote to Tortex from Nylon.

110802000000000-00-500x500.jpg

I’ve used the blue pointy tortex Dunlop’s forever but don’t like them for pick-slides. Nothing beats the classic Fender pick for great pick slides, but they wear out fast. Anything like the pointy blue good for pick-slides?

stephen sawall":lynk1h60 said:
I'm bumping this thread back up. I've been using much thinner picks more often lately. What I found was I like really pointed picks for most applications.

I also changed my vote to Tortex from Nylon.

I use the Wedge Tortex. I was using the 1.14 but found the 1.0 are stiff enough on these picks.

Tortex. I bounce between .73, .88 and 1.14.

I also like Ultex, but sometimes the sound of it hitting the strings gets on my nerves and I switch back to Tortex.

Back