Framus Dragon possible purchase

lithorn88

Hey guys, I found a Framus Dragon in apparent excellent condition for $900. I did my research on it, and while I enjoyed most youtube demos, I found some conflicting reviews online.

1) Is the amp worth the $900, even though Framus has no costumer service department available in the USA?

2) How reliable is the amplifier? I heard some scary stories about the Cobra.

3) I do have a Fractal FX8 as my main effects source, but would the Dragon play well with a Boss DD6 and a chorus pedal on its loop?

4) If I wanted to re-tube the amp, what would be the best choices as far as pre amp and power amp tubes?

Thanks,

lithorn88":4sroj0df said:
1) Is the amp worth the $900, even though Framus has no costumer service department available in the USA?

I've seen these sell for around $900-1000, so that's not a bad price. I don't think that you should factor Framus customer service into your valuation of the amp, though. Value it based on likely resale value.

I've never heard about any problems specific to the Dragon. Take it for a test drive before you buy. If you can't test drive, ask for pics of the guts and look for cracked solder joints or burned spots on the PCB.

3) I do have a Fractal FX8 as my main effects source, but would the Dragon play well with a Boss DD6 and a chorus pedal on its loop?

The loop is transparent and does its job.

4) If I wanted to re-tube the amp, what would be the best choices as far as pre amp and power amp tubes?

I've always been happy with Eurotubes.
https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/view ... tegory=770

The one I played was not dramatically different from a rectifier, which would be a much more rugged amplifier if reliability is a concern.

ed_Sped2":262kwtpv said:
lithorn88":262kwtpv said:

I've seen these sell for around $900-1000, so that's not a bad price. I don't think that you should factor Framus customer service into your valuation of the amp, though. Value it based on likely resale value.

I've never heard about any problems specific to the Dragon. Take it for a test drive before you buy. If you can't test drive, ask for pics of the guts and look for cracked solder joints or burned spots on the PCB.

The loop is transparent and does its job.

I've always been happy with Eurotubes.
https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/view ... tegory=770

Thanks for the reply! I think I might re-tube it with KT88's.

lithorn88":386ruifo said:
FourT6and2":386ruifo said:
The loop is pretty good. I had one for about 8-10 months. But meh, nothing special.

How do you mean? Is it just a rectifier/5150 wannabe?

More of an SLO want to be with a more Fender clean topology and baxandall tone stacks for the rhythm and leads. The loop is in the proper spot though.

russoloco":1kx1w035 said:
lithorn88":1kx1w035 said:
FourT6and2":1kx1w035 said:
The loop is pretty good. I had one for about 8-10 months. But meh, nothing special.

More of an SLO want to be with a more Fender clean topology and baxandall tone stacks for the rhythm and leads. The loop is in the proper spot though.

That's a good description. The amp has its own thing going on but its definitely worth a try if you're into metal. My only concern is if OP doesn't bond with it and has trouble selling it. Its hard to really gauge the resale value since they don't pop up for sale too often. I think its a bit of a gamble at $900 since there doesn't seem to be much demand out there. OP should jump on it if he can get the seller down to $800 or less or if he doesn't care much about taking a hit on resale.

Then again, the safest bet is to get something that sounds great and with a good potential for resale (i.e., 5150 variants, rectifiers, etc.).

ed_Sped2":bmumofvy said:
russoloco":bmumofvy said:
lithorn88":bmumofvy said:
FourT6and2":bmumofvy said:

That's a good description. The amp has its own thing going on but its definitely worth a try if you're into metal. My only concern is if OP doesn't bond with it and has trouble selling it. Its hard to really gauge the resale value since they don't pop up for sale too often. I think its a bit of a gamble at $900 since there doesn't seem to be much demand out there. OP should jump on it if he can get the seller down to $800 or less or if he doesn't care much about taking a hit on resale.

Then again, the safest bet is to get something that sounds great and with a good potential for resale (i.e., 5150 variants, rectifiers, etc.).

I already bought the amp, and was able to talk the seller down to $800. Thanks for all the replies!

-back when they were the new kids on the block, the DRAGON & COBRA we're right up there, I tried a new DRAGON with the matching cab, I would of bought it on the spot if I had the money, time goes by, get to play both the DRAGON & COBRA with matching cabs, didn't have the same feelings as I did the first time, everyone knows what emotions factor into a new, first run amp, used to be a very cool dude, helped out a lot of people, EROCK, he once had one, he said the first run were made in Germany, and shortly after built over sea's, and not so good, and that the tolex, and chassis housing always sucked, but?

I had the dragon. Paid $800.

Vanilla channels. Vox clean, recSLO dirty, marshall crunch.

Can easily be modded to cobra specs. Good loop.

Shit tolex and chassis.

Head sounded good but not great. Mixed with a diezel it was killer. For $800 however Id choose it over other gear easily.

Back