If You Can't Buy One, Build One - "CCV" style

scottosan":3rj78x82 said:
Okay, quick clip from last night. Only had 10 minutes to try it out and the amp is ridiculously flexible, so these are very crude setting like the manual uses as a starting point. I have since asked Psychodave for some settings and will get some proper clips up with some better setting and someone else playing. They next clips will likely be less dark and more mods.

\m/ Nice

hopkinWFG":2d5n410e said:
scottosan":2d5n410e said:
Not going to share schematics or BOM other than chassis and cosmetic stuff. My source for the brad era CCV was kind generous enough to work with my and out of respect I don't want to make the schematic public at risk of devaluing the original. That and you get the Billy Blades types that ruin it for everyone. I build as a hobby and have not intentions of trying to capitalize off someones hard work and unfortunately other will. You can see other already doing so. The copy an amp a few changes and claim it's there own design.

Cool ! But how can one who wanna try building it since the CCV is no longer available ? Respect your work and your idea you must be lucky enough !
There are plenty of resources if you want to build one. Establish a reputation that you aren't the next coming of Billy Blades and once people get to know you they will likely share information with you. You could check out the SLOClone forums

scottosan":1zlumqmi said:
Okay, quick clip from last night. Only had 10 minutes to try it out and the amp is ridiculously flexible, so these are very crude setting like the manual uses as a starting point. I have since asked Psychodave for some settings and will get some proper clips up with some better setting and someone else playing. They next clips will likely be less dark and more mods.

Sounds great dude! Good job!

sjk":c4cqf72e said:
holy shit sounds great! Very nice job on that, build me one lol!
thanks guys. The more I play this the more redicilously flexible I am finding the amp to be. I need to get some proper clips with better playing.

Got to spend A little more time with the amp today. I'm still waiting on the Ruby EL34BHTs to come in so I can run Hi power mode. Here is some cleans and some dirty in the medium gain clipping mode. Voice switch to the left give a slightly more scooped polite sound while retaining some nice crunch and fullness

scottosan":257yr5kl said:
Got to spend A little more time with the amp today. I'm still waiting on the Ruby EL34BHTs to come in so I can run Hi power mode. Here is some cleans and some dirty in the medium gain clipping mode. Voice switch to the left give a slightly more scooped polite sound while retaining some nice crunch and fullness

Sounding good. I see a Bogner 4x12 in your sig - is this through that? All V30s I'm guessing?

Salos":1pder3jj said:
scottosan":1pder3jj said:

Sounding good. I see a Bogner 4x12 in your sig - is this through that? All V30s I'm guessing?
Yes, all vintage 30s. I'm currently on the hunt for a Greenback or G12h-30 cab

scottosan":1adzr7p4 said:
Salos":1adzr7p4 said:
scottosan":1adzr7p4 said:

Yes, all vintage 30s. I'm currently on the hunt for a Greenback or G12h-30 cab

-(G12H-30)-Annie's or 55hz?
-you should talk to Steve Henning, he's got just the cab & speakers your looking for, great price, if you don't buy it I'm gonna have to drive south and snatch it up myself!!

sounds sooo great~!!

btw, the tone seems in marshall territory.
i've never thought CCV is marshally in youtube clips, though Cameron modded marshall is marshall.

how can you describe the tone / feel difference between your BE-100 clone and this?
and what makes the tone more marshally than the original CCV?

idnotbe":29ehygh9 said:
sounds sooo great~!!

i've never thought CCV is marshally in youtube clips, though Cameron modded marshall is marshall.

how can you describe the tone / feel difference between your BE-100 clone and this?

Original CCVs are Marshally as well. It can be dialed in very differently through all the different gain modes. Most clips on the web are just dialed in on the modern heavy side though.

idnotbe":1w9vnzvp said:
sounds sooo great~!!

oh man, where to start. I agree with the last poster. The thing about the CCV is that it is one of the few amps that you could actually change the settings overall character of the amp. The favorite amps that I have owned are the Bogner XTC classics. Great usable tones all over but ultimately is still had the signature Bogner tone and feel.

Now whether or not I got the CCV 100% correct (tracing a PCB isn't ideal), may always get called into question, and I'm using different transformers and a different hi/lo power design. There are some glaring mistakes and ommitions on the schematics on the web. The punch/voicing/presence/dark switch controlling the overall tone and feel of the amp is where it's at. The swithes and full sweeps are both useful and effective in all settings. This is unlike the BE100, where the voice switch is practically insignificant in its audible affects. Pot tapers are very non standard as well, and I can see why mark used them. On most amps I like to keep everything around 12:00. On this amp the tapers are much more natural and practical. Look at some of the CCV NAMM videos. Mark had most of the tone settings at 3:00 o'clock and the tone had that mid heavy cutting crunchy tone. Then look at other videos you can get a modern bottom heavy tone. Then look at ones on YouTube labelled mid gain and low gain. You can get some terrific lush mid gain tones using channel 1 and using the clippers (gain style).

The bottom line is that it would be great if these could somehow get back into production. Dont want any drama, would just love to see Mark succeed. People underestimate what it takes to go into business, both owners and buyers.

Alex_S":2pr8bvop said:
idnotbe":2pr8bvop said:
sounds sooo great~!!

Original CCVs are Marshally as well. It can be dialed in very differently through all the different gain modes. Most clips on the web are just dialed in on the modern heavy side though.
thats my feeling exactly. I cannot judge an amp by super downtuned use

scottosan":1a4jihhp said:
Alex_S":1a4jihhp said:
idnotbe":1a4jihhp said:
sounds sooo great~!!

thats my feeling exactly. I cannot judge an amp by super downtuned use

100% agreed. I was very astounded how a CCV sounds when I played it the first time. Expected something very different from the clips I heard and not a highly tuned Marshall. Until then I didn’t get the V in CCV ;)

psychodave":3a1pc4j4 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you use a 5% tolerance on a 100k resistor, you could potentially get a 95k resistor or a 105k resistor. The difference could be 10k just on that one part between two different amps. Work that across dozens of resistors, capacitors, potentiometers, transformers and things can vary. In my original post, I never said amps will be completely different, I said slightly. This is where, IMO, Mark shines to make amps sound good to him.

Notice you didn't say amps would sound EXACTLY the same. ;)

People misunderstand electronic component tolerances this way all the time. Tolerance sets a standard that allows for variation while still being in spec. But that doesn't mean the parts will be inconsistent. Resistors coming off the line for a set value aren't going to have a +/- 5% swing from part to part as you pull them off the tape. Its more like all the 100K resistors for 1000 pieces are going to measure 100.8K. And across those 1000 pieces you might see an overall fraction of a percentage swing. So the idea of subbing parts after the amp is finished because of tolerances would be completely insane. You would pull the traces off the board in the process of pulling parts, measuring, and replacing. If that kind of attention to consistency was important you would be much wiser to measure every single part before installing and putting together your bins of guaranteed parts. When you pick the idea apart it makes it pretty unrealistic that tweaking each amp on a per-part level is the reason the amps aren't being made. There is some other reason that isn't as full of fairy dust as "oh he just has to make each amp perfect."

Marykelly":5hz1r6su said:
psychodave":5hz1r6su said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you use a 5% tolerance on a 100k resistor, you could potentially get a 95k resistor or a 105k resistor. The difference could be 10k just on that one part between two different amps. Work that across dozens of resistors, capacitors, potentiometers, transformers and things can vary. In my original post, I never said amps will be completely different, I said slightly. This is where, IMO, Mark shines to make amps sound good to him.

Notice you didn't say amps would sound EXACTLY the same. ;)

People misunderstand electronic component tolerances this way all the time. Tolerance sets a standard that allows for variation while still being in spec. But that doesn't mean the parts will be inconsistent. Resistors coming off the line for a set value aren't going to have a +/- 5% swing from part to part as you pull them off the tape. Its more like all the 100K resistors for 1000 pieces are going to measure 100.8K. And across those 1000 pieces you might see an overall fraction of a percentage swing. So the idea of subbing parts after the amp is finished because of tolerances would be completely insane. You would pull the traces off the board in the process of pulling parts, measuring, and replacing. If that kind of attention to consistency was important you would be much wiser to measure every single part before installing and putting together your bins of guaranteed parts. When you pick the idea apart it makes it pretty unrealistic that tweaking each amp on a per-part level is the reason the amps aren't being made. There is some other reason that isn't as full of fairy dust as "oh he just has to make each amp perfect."

I didnt misunderstand anything. It is 100% possible to have a part with a 5% tolerance to swing 5% in either direction. Does it happen all the time, no, but it could. I typically measure parts before using them just to make sure I know what I’m using. I leave nothing to chance. Of course I’m not building production amps. Just modding amps.

Back