Harmonizer pedal - what do you use and why?

Lately I've been using an EH Pitch Fork. I bought it to replace my whammy pedal which is dying a slow death after 10+ years of abuse....but I've found I don't like it as much with high gain as the whammy for the octave function. For some reason there seems to be something extra I don't like as much, I don't know whether it's a frequency or noise though, it's hard to figure out (regardless of where the blend knob is). However, for mid gain and cleans, I prefer it over the whammy, and it handles multiple notes a lot better. Will try to put a comparison vid together sometime!

Playing around with it clean, I came up with this song almost instantly!

boyedav":2nki97tp said:
Eventide H9 Max. It does pitch shifting, modulation, delay, reverb, etc. I very rarely need to layer multiple post-effects, but when I do it has algorithms that combine the ones I need.

Or are you looking more for a vocal harmonizer?

+1 H9 :thumbsup:

H9, top quality. Also Neunaber Expanse (similar to the H9 in that is can be any of the Neunaber pedals) works well.

I think the best pedal for that stuff is the H9. I had it and it was gorgeous sounding in my loop. But it is very expensive and I sold it off. I got the Digitech Luxe pedal for $50 off Reverb and it sounds excellent. Very happy with it. There are demos on it and a guy has one that he uses it in the loop and it sounds pretty good.

geetar_geek79":1eg7i2on said:
a simple boss ps-6 works for me. compact yet sounds decent. actually like it better than my whammy 4.
Same here. :thumbsup:

As we play covers, I use a Em lowered minor 3rd harmony for the Mercyful Fate-Evil solo
(the part starting at 3m01s until 3m16s:

as well as Iron Maiden's "Can I Play With Madness" solo, where it's a simple 'linear' pitch shifter in the solo.

Eventide pitchfactor and tc g system both track flawlessly for me..Someday going for a h 8000 hopefully.

Speeddemon":15vukiyg said:
Update: I added a TC Quintessence Harmonizer (yep, not the 'Harmony' \:D/ ) for home use now. I'll have to do a proper A/B comparison, but going by memory, the TC seems to track a little better than the Boss PS-6. There seems to be hardly any delay when you set the mix to 100%

So I did the A/B comparison, and the Quintessence definitely tracks better (faster and less glitchy when bending) than the PS-6.
The real litmus test is setting the Mix to 100% wet and see how 'detached' the sound feels from your playing. The Boss also seems to make the harmonized notes a bit darker/more mellow sounding, which can be useful. What the Boss does do great is the Detune function; one of the best chorus sounds I've heard (and I got a shitload of classic vintage Choruses at home...including original Boss CE-2's, Ibanez CS9 & BC9, MXR Micro and large one).

I use one of those old 80s Boss half rack space harmonizers, good enough for Le Tekro back in the day, good enough in the loop of an amp for me.

I like the digitech whammy V, lots of cool modes and the pitch shifting effect is just plain fun.

Back