Considering: JP2C, Butterslax, Shiva 20th. Thoughts?

MetalHeadMike":2afy9m16 said:
Can't speak for the others you mentioned, but the 20th anny Shiva would do what'chya want. I used it for more modern metal tones and its a mean little bastard with a really unique Low mid snarl. Pretty darn good low gain abilities as well.

Excellent suggestion.

Bxlxaxkxe":1lsc6lcd said:
Played a 20th yesterday- loved it. A little more modern and aggressive than the smallbox and has that fantastic clean channel- exactly what I'm looking for to round out the collection. Still intrigued by the JP2C. I think I may need to get both here. Might let the Runt go and do both. Life's short yada yada right?

DO IT :rock:

I went batshit crazy buying amps the last few months to finally try many on my list; life is too short indeed :thumbsup:

white buffalo":wg4bdx8o said:
I had the JP2C for a short period a month or so ago. LOVED it in the shop through their 4x12... so much so that I bought it on the spot... but unfortunately at home through my cabs, or through the cabs at the rehearsal cab I go to, it just didn't work and I wasn't willing to drop another bunch of coin (or dedicate the space) on a Mesa 4x12. Killer cleans and both crunch channels killed it, plus the boost and reverb were also great. I'd not hesitate getting one again if I had the right speakers for it. That said, the other two options you're considering are honestly more alluring to me. Tough choice... I'd probably do the 20th Shiva.

What weren't you digging about it with your own cabs? Too middy?

Because I simply don't get to play it often, let alone at performance volume; I often think I should sell my 20th Shiva. After seeing this thread yesterday, I got home last night and spent a few minutes cranking a few guitars through it into a stock 1960A cab and recalled why I own it. Such a great amp. Heavy and mean to clean and serene.

One thing I've not yet gotten out of it...and I have the same experience with Mesa Mark Series...is the roll your guitar volume back, cleaned up, edgy crunch I've only been able to get from Marshall amps/clones. Bogner/Mesa are softer, chewy when rolled back.

It and my 20th Ecstasy are beautiful, works of art builds, too...IMO. Comet tolex, salt & pepper grill cloth, gold panel beauties.

BTW...I bought mine new at $2500 and see people off'ing theirs (claiming near new/mint) for $1500 = absolute insanity.

Haven't read all the replies - but for what your initial post is asking, the 20th Sheevs gets my vote. And even the regular Sheevs as a 99% backup.

Cheaper than the Slax.
The JP2C is kinda weird to me - to each their own - didn't gel with it.
Slax is a beast - come with a hefty price tag - but isn't as versatile IMHO as the Shiva "for your specific requests" noted in your initial post.

(for the record, I've kept my Slax AND my JJ but that's besides the point... I play my 20th Shiva and XTC a lot, as well as my Atma. Is what it is).

Back