Good software synths

nigelpkay

I'm looking for something that does the typical Yngwie-style choir ooohs and ahhhs from albums like Odyssey. Also looking to cover dark ambient or orchestral type sounds typical in black metal.

I used to use IK Multimedia Sonik Synth 2 which did the job for some pads and choirs, but its very old and doesn't work in Logic X that I just started using, and would like to start using a new sound library anyway.

I was looking at the Korg software plug-in's, and they have versions for platforms such as the M1 etc for $50 or so each... not looking to spend a ton as its something I use for more background effect in metal songs.

Same here. I feel like the GM synth sounds on my pc when I run Powertabs sounds better than a lot of the free or discontinued soft synths out there. I want something for pads and for leads (saw wave) to do the same thing as you: Yngwie/Dream Theater type stuff.

So I contacted IK Multimedia, and they had me download Sample Tank 3 CS (free) that works in Logic X so I could import my old sounds to use from Sonik Synth, so that's cool for now. But I'm still looking for a new one because I've used these so many times in the past and they're not even that great.

It's just so hard as these sound libraries are endless and it's hard to know what's out there that fits your style. As you said, looking for typical progressive types of sounds used by Yngwie, Dream Theater, Symphony X etc...

shredhead7":24je3pks said:
Same here. I feel like the GM synth sounds on my pc when I run Powertabs sounds better than a lot of the free or discontinued soft synths out there. I want something for pads and for leads (saw wave) to do the same thing as you: Yngwie/Dream Theater type stuff.

For pads, I think Korg iWavestation is very cool. I'm not sure about saw leads though, I use hardware synths for that.

Valtyr":1spt93xv said:
shredhead7":1spt93xv said:

For pads, I think Korg iWavestation is very cool. I'm not sure about saw leads though, I use hardware synths for that.

How would you compare Korg Wavestation vs M1?

nigelpkay":110vt5q9 said:
Valtyr":110vt5q9 said:
shredhead7":110vt5q9 said:

M1 is a classic because it was such a game changer at the time....but VS. the Wavestation it doesn't hold up as much IMO. Wavestation to this day is a fresh sounding, pad machine......but there are different kinds of pads....of which I would put Wavestation in the motion synth category for it's best sounds.

The Korg 01/W is the one for classic Korg romplers(but it's not really a rompler with it's waveshaping) my first synth and a pad machine. Good synth choirs pipe organs and anastrings and with it's waveshaping very good at synth sounds and synth leads. 01/W all over this:

Quintessential 01/W sounds here, strings/pads leads choirs pipe organs galore(love the 01/W, had 3 of them in my setup at one point lol:)

27774845739_a952489677_b.jpg

Purpleibby":1jsxo9kp said:
nigelpkay":1jsxo9kp said:
Valtyr":1jsxo9kp said:
shredhead7":1jsxo9kp said:

M1 is a classic because it was such a game changer at the time....but VS. the Wavestation it doesn't hold up as much IMO. Wavestation to this day is a fresh sounding, pad machine......but there are different kinds of pads....of which I would put Wavestation in the motion synth category for it's best sounds.

The Korg 01/W is the one for classic Korg romplers(but it's not really a rompler with it's waveshaping) my first synth and a pad machine. Good synth choirs pipe organs and anastrings and with it's waveshaping very good at synth sounds and synth leads. 01/W all over this:

Quintessential 01/W sounds here, strings/pads leads choirs pipe organs galore(love the 01/W, had 3 of them in my setup at one point lol:)

27774845739_a952489677_b.jpg

Thanks that sounded great, sadly, I checked the Korg site and they don't have a software version of the 01/W. Just the M1 and the Wavestation and a few others. They are discounted right now in the Korg store so I may pull the trigger on one of them.

Considering the video you posted, which of the M1 or Wavestation would come closest to those sounds as that's exactly what I'm looking for.

All my songs are drenched in soft synths and hardware synths

I used to rely heavily on ReFX Nexis. It's kind of the go too ROMpler but alot of the sounds you will recognise as it was very heavily used a few years back in pop.

Sylenth is very in depth and powerful with great presets
Native Instruments FM8 is also a good grab for more FM synthesis Dx7 style

Hardware I'd recomend a Roland jv1080 for the Yngwie stuff, since that's what he used in the early 90s

I've been using the U-HE/Zebra VST plugin for years, sounds great, easy to edit, bazillions of flavors and tweakability, etc.

So I finally picked up the Korg M1 software synth from Korg, it is half price $24.99 until Aug 8th along with many other Korg collection synths.
Works like a charm in Logic X, and I have to say this is awesome! So many quality sounds and I've barely dived in. It seems to come with every expansion that was ever released. Luckily you can filter based on type. The choirs and strings are just what I was looking for.

Back