The ultimate bedroom practice head for metal?

Rex Rocker

I'm currently using a Randall RD1H, and it sounds great, but I really wish it had a 3-band EQ. I'd also like to be able to take it to jams with some friends on top of my 1x12, and it definitely cannot do that. The priority is sounding killer at low bedroom volumes, though. I don't need mutiple channels, just a killer high-gain tone.

So what are my options?

I'm looking at the Peavey 6505MH because it can go down to 5 or 1 W (for bedroom volumes), but it's also got 20W under the hood for those ocasional jams. How are these? Are they any good? Are the power scaling settings useable?

I'm also digging the clips of the Orange Brent Hinds terror, and this also has the ability to go down in wattage. I'm a bit skeptical about this, though, because I've never really liked the tone in Mastodon records at all. The clips make it sound nice, though, and I've liked several Orange amps I've tried, so I don't know. How are these in person?

How about the ENGL Ironball? Or should I be looking at the Metal Master? These both look nice. How are the power scaling options on these? Are they useable?

What else should I be looking at?

I'd rather have a tube amp, BTW. Not really interested in Katanas/Axe FX's/something with tons of options and effects. I just want a killer high-gain channel, and that's it.

I've heard the MT15 does need a little bit of volume to sound its best, though.

The EVH LBX also goes down to 4 watts, and that's cool, but I had a Randall RD5H befor the RD1H, and 5 watts was too loud for my taste for bedroom practice, and too quiet for jams. Is the EVH any better at lower volumes?

I have 3 - the Ironball, Baron Snott Watt, & Laney Ironheart. Power scaling is good on all 3, and all 3 sound & feel great at low volumes, can keep up for jam situations, and all can get crunchy/gainy - guess it depends on how much gain you're looking for though...

Rex Rocker":29u3ss2x said:
I've heard the MT15 does need a little bit of volume to sound its best, though.

The EVH LBX also goes down to 4 watts, and that's cool, but I had a Randall RD5H befor the RD1H, and 5 watts was too loud for my taste for bedroom practice, and too quiet for jams. Is the EVH any better at lower volumes?
The LBX sounds great at low volume. In fact, most of the EVH line does since most of their tone comes from the preamp. I was going to go for the LBX for this reason but believe it or not, my 50w sounds great at whisper volumes.

nevusofota":l8l4345u said:
The LBX sounds great at low volume. In fact, most of the EVH line does since most of their tone comes from the preamp. I was going to go for the LBX for this reason but believe it or not, my 50w sounds great at whisper volumes.

yep this

I hadn't considered the LBX. Seems like that one's wining so far, lol. It definitely sounds killer in the clips.

Buy an MXR 10-band, and keep what you have!

In all seriousness, I found the Peavey Triple XXX excellent for low volumes, and even the EVH 50 watt. It's excellent at bedroom levels. I found that to be one of it's best features. By far, a better choice than the LBX, believe it or not.

As for the MT15, I have to say its loud AF and the volume tapering sucks (if you planning on low volume use). You really have to work on getting the master volume knob just right for bedroom volume. Great amp otherwise. Of the heads I have honestly the best bedroom volume high gainer that sounds amazing at any volume is my Friedman Butterslax, then maybe my EVH 5153 50W. Dave makes the best master volumes hands down. But yeah otherwise it might be overkill for your needs.

I needed to control volume in the new condo with neighbors. There was no way I was dumping my 100W amps. I picked up a torpedo live and a real good pair of monitoring headphones. Amp, volume, neighbor problem solved.

So many tube amps that sound great at bedroom volumes. Of course they all sound much much better cranked up and running hot, but man there are a boatload of em that are great at low volume.

Fryette (D60)-Decent at low volumes.
Peavey (6505+)-Decent at low volumes
Splawn (QR)-AMAZING at low volumes
Engl (ANY and ALL)-Decent at low volumes
KSR (Ares)-AMAZING at low volumes
Bogner (Uber Rev Blue) Amazing at low volumes
Wizard (MCII)-Best low volume tones I've had to date. Can get it to sound and feel like a cranked amp even at bedroom volumes. Don't know how it's possible, but it's still capable of sounding like it's about to come apart at the seams even at low volume.

An MXR 10 band in the loop is an invaluable tool.

I find that a lot of modern tube amps sound great at low volumes, while more vintage inspired need to be cranked. Of course, everything is better loud, but modern amps seem to be voiced largely in the preamp, while vintage-inspired amps are based on the poweramp having a more significant role in the character.

napalmdeath":djqvd1ko said:
Buy an MXR 10-band, and keep what you have!

In all seriousness, I found the Peavey Triple XXX excellent for low volumes, and even the EVH 50 watt. It's excellent at bedroom levels. I found that to be one of it's best features. By far, a better choice than the LBX, believe it or not.
I actually had a XXX not too long ago. I sold it because I never got to use it. It didn't sound bad at low volumes, but I always thought my Randall was more suited for that situation. Overall, I think a big 100W amp is a bit overkill for what I want, but then again, maybe I haven't tried one that I really liked at home volumes. :)

The EVH stuff seems to have favorable reviews when it comes to low volumes, though. I've definitely got my eye on an LBX now.

Back