ANyone hear of this dudes modded Marshalls? Satriani amp.

He is a partner and friend of Billie Joe Armstrong. This amp will not sound like Dookie mod which was an old 1959 model modded by Bradshaw/Golub.

I really wish amp mods were treated like car mods. Nobody goes to a shop and gets a super secret "Annihilation mod" on their car to increase performance without knowing what the exact work to the car is. The shop tells you what they are doing. They are going to adjust timing, adjust the fuel map, change out the turbo to a larger one, new fuel pump, etc.

When you get an amp modified, the tech should tell you exactly what they are doing. Not give it some cool name like "Violence mod" or "Dexter mod" and then say it's all hush hush but will sound good. Then in reality, you open up the amp and it's something stupid simple like adding an additional gain stage.

$3500 for a Super Lead re-issue from 2016? Please. And with some unknown mod to boot. The mod could be anything. Could be something super simple like moving the NFB from the 16-ohm tap to the 8-ohm tap. Or simply changing the slope resistor value. Or simply clipping the bright cap.

FourT6and2":z1sv2doc said:
I really wish amp mods were treated like car mods. Nobody goes to a shop and gets a super secret "Annihilation mod" on their car to increase performance without knowing what the exact work to the car is. The shop tells you what they are doing. They are going to adjust timing, adjust the fuel map, change out the turbo to a larger one, new fuel pump, etc.

When you get an amp modified, the tech should tell you exactly what they are doing. Not give it some cool name like "Violence mod" or "Dexter mod" and then say it's all hush hush but will sound good. Then in reality, you open up the amp and it's something stupid simple like adding an additional gain stage.

$3500 for a Super Lead re-issue from 2016? Please. And with some unknown mod to boot. The mod could be anything. Could be something super simple like moving the NFB from the 16-ohm tap to the 8-ohm tap. Or simply changing the slope resistor value. Or simply clipping the bright cap.

+1

I had Bob Savage do an "AIR MOD" to my 1967 Plexi. $23,000 for the mod and 7 years later I got the amp back, I could not be more happy and my tone has never been better. People are saying things like "WOW I almost can't believe it's modded!" and "Damn, sounds like a Plexi should!" and I totally agree.

FourT6and2":1i9dmm7g said:

Bananas At Large, the place selling it, they charge high prices for everything. They initiated a price matching system a while back. They are inland from me about 10 or 12 miles so I stop by every once in a while, especially if I need strings and don't want to wait for them to be shipped. Anyhow, I was in there the other day, and brought up 6 or 7 packs of strings. I told the guy, "sweetwater is selling them for a few bucks a pack." He said, "wow, that's a lot less than us, and then charged me $7 per pack. I said, "the reason I told you is for your price matching." He said, "are you serious man, how is a music store supposed to stay in business?? They are just strings man, support your local store!" I said, "ok, I will leave then." He said, "what ever man." Keep in mind, this prick isn't the owner, just a sales guy. Why even have the price matching if they flip when you ask to do it. $3500 bucks for that amp, I am very surprised they aren't asking 10 grand. They get huge piles of amps from Schon and Satriani on a regular basis. Not long ago they had a few VH4's, Friedman SS100's, Marshall JVM's, Orange 100 watt something or others, etc., all marked astronomically high from Schon.

mooncobra":3mgfmasz said:
FourT6and2":3mgfmasz said:

Bananas At Large, the place selling it, they charge high prices for everything. They initiated a price matching system a while back. They are inland from me about 10 or 12 miles so I stop by every once in a while, especially if I need strings and don't want to wait for them to be shipped. Anyhow, I was in there the other day, and brought up 6 or 7 packs of strings. I told the guy, "sweetwater is selling them for a few bucks a pack." He said, "wow, that's a lot less than us, and then charged me $7 per pack. I said, "the reason I told you is for your price matching." He said, "are you serious man, how is a music store supposed to stay in business?? They are just strings man, support your local store!" I said, "ok, I will leave then." He said, "what ever man." Keep in mind, this prick isn't the owner, just a sales guy. Why even have the price matching if they flip when you ask to do it. $3500 bucks for that amp, I am very surprised they aren't asking 10 grand. They get huge piles of amps from Schon and Satriani on a regular basis. Not long ago they had a few VH4's, Friedman SS100's, Marshall JVM's, Orange 100 watt something or others, etc., all marked astronomically high from Schon.

Interesting. I didn't even know that place existed. I might have to stop by and kick some tires lol. Only music shop in SF is Guitar Center. Then there's one or two ok shops down on then peninsula. I see on their website they have a few amps just like this one.

FourT6and2":3lhubpnt said:
mooncobra":3lhubpnt said:
FourT6and2":3lhubpnt said:

Interesting. I didn't even know that place existed. I might have to stop by and kick some tires lol. Only music shop in SF is Guitar Center. Then there's one or two ok shops down on then peninsula. I see on their website they have a few amps just like this one.

Black Market used to be the best!! They had SO MUCH GEAR!!! Everything was priced cheap to very fair. I got a JCM800 and matching cab for $750 or $800, got a couple Les Pauls for $900, 74 Strat for $350 because it was painted mustard yellow, but the strat purchase was around 1999. And many more. Real Guitars and they have Gary Brawer and his repair place in back. Rocker Guitars is gone now, or not? They used to have good stuff. What about Haight Ashbury guitars, that place is huge, at least it used to be, are they gone now also? We should open a high end boutique guitar and amp place in the city, it will be rigtalk guitars and amps.

mooncobra":wh1fo4hx said:
FourT6and2":wh1fo4hx said:
mooncobra":wh1fo4hx said:
FourT6and2":wh1fo4hx said:

Black Market used to be the best!! They had SO MUCH GEAR!!! Everything was priced cheap to very fair. I got a JCM800 and matching cab for $750 or $800, got a couple Les Pauls for $900, 74 Strat for $350 because it was painted mustard yellow, but the strat purchase was around 1999. And many more. Real Guitars and they have Gary Brawer and his repair place in back. Rocker Guitars is gone now, or not? They used to have good stuff. What about Haight Ashbury guitars, that place is huge, at least it used to be, are they gone now also? We should open a high end boutique guitar and amp place in the city, it will be rigtalk guitars and amps.

None of those places have any good gear to be honest. Mostly used crap and some Blackstar amps or basic Fender/Marshall combo amps. Booooring. I know about Brawer. He did a couple setups on my Mayones. He said they were quite possibly the best built guitars he's ever seen.

FourT6and2":1us412u8 said:
mooncobra":1us412u8 said:
mooncobra":1us412u8 said:

None of those places have any good gear to be honest. Mostly used crap and some Blackstar amps or basic Fender/Marshall combo amps. Booooring. I know about Brawer. He did a couple setups on my Mayones. He said they were quite possibly the best built guitars he's ever seen.

Mayones kick serious ass/

Back