Seymour Duncan RTM pickup

They are NOTHING special. Been kicking around getting rid of mine in my WDM Charvels, but not motivated to actually DO it. The JB is better IMO. I am really underwhelmed by this pickup.

I have the opposite with my charvel that was loaded with the jb as I thought it was bright without the thickness, the same guitar loaded with the Demartini RTM filled in the gaps and I conducted the test many times to see if I was having a bad ear day. It could be that it just worked with my jmp better for me. Just my findings.

Alnico 2's are a bit warmer than the 5's so that's the only real difference to my ears. I concur with the poster who said to get a JB and swap out the magnets with Alnico 2s to save money.

How easy is it to swap magets anyway? What has to happen ? Do they pop out much like a pickup cover does? This might be a question for you tube!

I would be willing to bet swapping the magnets in a jb would get you very close. I thought MJ at seymouy told me that the wire size is different too.

Kapo_Polenton":1v6nwlxj said:
How easy is it to swap magets anyway? What has to happen ? Do they pop out much like a pickup cover does? This might be a question for you tube!
Swap magnets in a pu?!!

exo-metal":18u57blm said:
Kapo_Polenton":18u57blm said:
Swap magnets in a pu?!!

It’s super easy to swap pickups. You do need a simple compass to determine polarity so you can match what’s already in the pickup.

You need to carefully remove the tape ( I have spare tape since I’ve done this literally dozens of times), unscrew the 4 screws holding the bobbins on...but don’t totally remove, just enough to be able to lift each coil. Take a flat head screwdriver to use to lift both bobbins up to break the potting was. Use the screwdriver to “push” the tubes or magnet out...while being careful to not push too hard since there will be pickup coil wires near the screwdriver. Next remove old magnet and put in new magnet in the proper polarity. Retighten both bobbins, put back tape and your done. If you are careful, you can use a hair drier or space heater to gently warm up the pickup to flow some of the old potting way to prevent any oscillation.

exo-metal":3o85t4z1 said:
Mystery solved...so I can buy the magnets direct from Seymour Duncan?

There are a few sellers on eBay. They sell exactly what you need. I think Philadelphia Luthiers sells them.

Mojo tone sells them too ? But i guess there has to be of certain magnet with magic to it from favourable shops that sells... am interested to know as well and may also wanna change the plastic spacer to maple spacer if its not a hoax for sweeter tone lol

Back