Bonamassa's Amp Rig

mikehickey

I took the gig as Joe Bonamassa's guitar tech back in October, I wanted to share pics of his setup with you all. I haven't had time to keep up on rig talk, but this is plenty of rig to deal with every day. Enjoy.
There are always two amps running, the Black Jubilee is the constant with either the Van Weelden/Category 5/ East switched in, the East has been subbed out for a Trainwreck most recently. The other Cat 5 is for the Theremin. The cabs are loaded with EVs. All the amps hit the Palmers to get to the P.A. and Monitors. The Silver heads are for backup.

joeamps1.jpg

joeamps2.jpg

joeamps3.jpg

joepedals.jpg

joerack.jpg

Thanks for the pics Mike!

I did not say anything as I did not know if you wanted to stay low with this, congrats again on the killer gig :rock:

supersonic":5eif9j1s said:
Tell me about the Plexi shields, how well do they work?

they definitely tame it, but it is still loud. we have the volumes set between 7-10 on the amps. the cat 5 plexi thing is all the way up. everything sits on Auralex Gramma Pads too.

Gooseman":3p9y82qp said:
I would think there would be some negative sounds picked up from the mics due to the plexi-shields.

the amps all go direct through Palmers... there is one mic to add some "air" from the Jubilee if needed...

All that gear and I much prefer his older tone with a Fender Strat, Gigliotti Tele, Silver Jub and a Budda. :aww:

I guess it was his approach, as much or more so, than his gear.

That is awesome. congrads on the job and hope it was a great experience.

I have a question about the rig. What is that non jubilee marshall for on the top left? Is it just another amp he uses in combo with the jubilee?

mrkmas":2bh2ttgp said:

I have a question about the rig. What is that non jubilee marshall for on the top left? Is it just another amp he uses in combo with the jubilee?

that is an early metal panel Super Lead he bought when he was a kid. It is there for maybe....

mikehickey":326rayz0 said:
mrkmas":326rayz0 said:

that is an early metal panel Super Lead he bought when he was a kid. It is there for maybe....

Aha! that makes sense. sentimental value/spur of the moment amp. I see he took the carol ann out of the rig?

Also how was he? was he a nice guy and willing to chat?

Joe is great to work with. The slot for the Carol Ann is a revolving spot, right now there is a Traiwreck, it was the East, we tried the Super Lead...The Palmers work great and cut out a lot of variables on a daily basis.

Thanks for the cool rig shots. :thumbsup:

What is the scoop on those oversized cabinets, did he come up with the dimensions?

I see he has an interesting set of monitors at his pedal board, does he not use in-ears ?

they are tall like Hendrix bottoms I guess...they have the straps on the side, no proper handles :confused: They are wired stereo for the various heads.
No in ears... there are 2 monitors in front as you see and 4 spread across the front of the stage so the guitar is great wherever you go. It is a great sounding rig. It has a lot of power and a lot of dynamics.

mikehickey":2po9bx99 said:
They are wired stereo for the various heads.

I forgot about that. Each cab is ran in stereo, so he can run 4 amps into 2 cabs. Not a bad way of doing things.

Back