Lickliter "Rage mod" Sound City 50+ re-work!

LickliterAmps

Here is a Sound City 50+ that is getting the mod treatment. It will be a hi-gain monster when finished. I will post before and after pics as well as sound clips! :yes:

Attachments

• soundcity II.JPG
    soundcity II.JPG
    994.1 KB · Views: 2,333
  • sound city front.JPG
    sound city front.JPG
    475 KB · Views: 2,382
  • Sound City Naked II.JPG
    Sound City Naked II.JPG
    942.9 KB · Views: 2,233
High gain, but with clarity with great note separation. Although when volume is rolled back will clean up nicely with a little break up. Should achieve hot rodded tones easily and pull off heavier modern metal as well! I will be posting clips when project is complete. This same mod was just finished in a modded Marshall type platform and I hope to get clips up this weekend! More will be revealed!

Attachments

• rage front I.JPG
    rage front I.JPG
    629.9 KB · Views: 2,274
Hello fellow high gain amp enthusiasts. I am the owner of this particular Sound City amp, and am delighted that Mike Lickliter has taken on the task of transforming this undernourished relic into a uniquely voiced high gain heavy hitter!! Prior to this undertaking by Mike, the amp had tubby bottom end, with probably less gain on tap than a well loved Tweed Fender Bassman. Needless to say, this amp has always been used with an external overdrive unit, leaving me far less than satisfied with my rig. I am ecstatic for the rebirth of this piece of history!!

Tubby bottom end, less gain than a Tweed Fender Bassman... Hence the name "Sound Shitty". Getting it modded is probably the best thing you could do to it.

scottcrud":ijb7kljc said:
Tubby bottom end, less gain than a Tweed Fender Bassman... Hence the name "Sound Shitty". Getting it modded is probably the best thing you could do to it.

I agree completely. The sad part is, this amp was already modded once prior to my ownership. The dude I bought the amp from was a complete pedal freak, unlike myself. I know that these amps in stock formation are supposed to take pedals exceptionally well, on par with their offspring Hiwatt I am told. Therefore, I'm clueless as to what in the hell the previous mod did, if anything at all, as an improvement from stock. Thanks for your input, peace.

Here is the new and improved Sound City 50+. Amp sounds absolutely incredible. I will be doing clips this weekend. This amp has a new bias circuit and has an added presence. Can't wait to start getting clips! :m17:

Attachments

• Sound City II.JPG
    Sound City II.JPG
    782.6 KB · Views: 2,138
  • sound city gut.JPG
    sound city gut.JPG
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 2,343
Cool! Its nice to see someone do something different to some of the other old amps out there. Post some clips when u get it done

Here are a couple of clips. Amp has some very nice overtones that are very complicated sounding. Great sounding amplifier! :rock:

Greetings all. This post is long overdue, due to computer problems on my end. Regarding my newly hotrodded Sound City featured in this thread: simply the finest amp I've ever played through (thanks to Michael Lickliter), no exaggeration whatsoever!! The amp now delivers the most lush and articulate harmonic overtones, almost AC30 like, but with way bigger nuts. The focused grind and sustain are unreal, like a twin turbocharged Hiwatt, all this with the gain knob set at 1 o'clock (dimed would be around 5 to 6 o'clock respectively). One of the coolest features of the Lickliter Rage Mod here is that the amp is unbelievably quiet, despite the custom high gain circuit. In fact, I no longer have a need for a noise gate with this amp, such a treat! Here is a rough Android phone soundclip/video of some of the amps tonal attributes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLr260yb ... re=mh_lolz

Many thanks to Mike at Lickliter Amps for his impeccable craftsmanship and attention to detail on this one!!

Nice looking work! Im in the process of reworking an SC50 Plus also. Curious about how you handled the bias voltage. Ive read about people using a voltage doubler to get more negative voltage out of the bias tap. Is that what you did here?

Back