NAD - Kemper Profiling Amp

squank

Got mine on Friday, but was too busy with gigs and family stuff over the weekend to fire it up until yesterday. But man, it is AMAZING. It's the Glock of the amp world - very good at what it does, functional and hideous.

I'll preface my review by disclosing that I am both a tube amp and modeler dude. I've had a Pod XT Pro, Axe-FX, and Eleven Rack. I've never felt the need to go all one or the other. The Pod never made me happy (I do a lot of high gain stuff, and the pod sounded like poo on high gain). I was an early Axe FX user, and gigged it on and off for 3 years. I can't think of any piece of gear that came so close to the mark in so many areas, but in the end missed it. I tried to love the Axe, but I just couldn't. I'm a gigging guy, and the Axe was difficult and time consuming to tweak on the fly. The Eleven Rack at least has EQ knobs on the front panel. So the Axe went bye bye last year. I don't miss it at all.

The Kemper is ugly. Like I said, it reminds me of a Glock. Both were designed by a person who had never designed a product in their chosen product category before. The Kemper doesn't look like an amp at all. It's got a quirky interface, but I bet I get used to it pretty fast. The control knobs are big and centrally located.

It kills the Axe and the 11R. Amp tones are big and 3D. The others are totally 2D to me. I'm running mine into a Mesa 2:90, into a Mills Afterburner 4x12. It's beastly.

The Kemper doesn't replace my amps. Instead, it's a way to carry them all with me. I pretty much already own all the amps I want. The Kemper just allows me to copy them and carry them with me.

And like a Glock, it's got lots of what it needs, and not much else.

Damn. I was hoping this thing wouldn't deliver. I'm trying not to GAS for it.

Congrats though, HNAD! :rock:

congrats on the kemper the more I hear about it the more I wanna lay my hands on one and take it for a spin.

Forgive me for asking but.....

This Kemper, can actually capture and save a specific amp as long as its Midi?

For example my friend brings over his Herbert, I dial it in, plug it into kemper and bam. I now have a modeled Herbie?

I think this should be illegal :yes: I want one

What is MSRP?

Wait it can only model amps that have MIDI? I don't think that's true.

These things have got me VERY intrigued!

With the rate I flip amps I could have a very nice collection of "stored" amps.

Dimebag11":qrgo1p8j said:
Wait it can only model amps that have MIDI? I don't think that's true.

These things have got me VERY intrigued!

With the rate I flip amps I could have a very nice collection of "stored" amps.

no i was wrong, after checking the site. You just mic the amp.

Still curious how much these are.

squank":324wmrxd said:
Got mine on Friday, but was too busy with gigs and family stuff over the weekend to fire it up until yesterday. But man, it is AMAZING. It's the Glock of the amp world - very good at what it does, functional and hideous.

I'll preface my review by disclosing that I am both a tube amp and modeler dude. I've had a Pod XT Pro, Axe-FX, and Eleven Rack. I've never felt the need to go all one or the other. The Pod never made me happy (I do a lot of high gain stuff, and the pod sounded like poo on high gain). I was an early Axe FX user, and gigged it on and off for 3 years. I can't think of any piece of gear that came so close to the mark in so many areas, but in the end missed it. I tried to love the Axe, but I just couldn't. I'm a gigging guy, and the Axe was difficult and time consuming to tweak on the fly. The Eleven Rack at least has EQ knobs on the front panel. So the Axe went bye bye last year. I don't miss it at all.

The Kemper is ugly. Like I said, it reminds me of a Glock. Both were designed by a person who had never designed a product in their chosen product category before. The Kemper doesn't look like an amp at all. It's got a quirky interface, but I bet I get used to it pretty fast. The control knobs are big and centrally located.

It kills the Axe and the 11R. Amp tones are big and 3D. The others are totally 2D to me. I'm running mine into a Mesa 2:90, into a Mills Afterburner 4x12. It's beastly.

The Kemper doesn't replace my amps. Instead, it's a way to carry them all with me. I pretty much already own all the amps I want. The Kemper just allows me to copy them and carry them with me.

And like a Glock, it's got lots of what it needs, and not much else.

It's going into a power amp? Is the Kemper stereo? I haven't delved into much since it's not rack mountable and looks fugly. The price point is great just was under the impression that it didn't/couldn't do the 2 amps thing at once? It probably kicks ass.......just looking for more info. If it's stereo and you can hard pan left and right each side that would be cool. I don't use mono rigs at home which is why I like my Axe-FX....

I just called Sweet Water and talked to the rep I deal with Mark Bruhn a great guy to deal with by the way. I guess they have a slight backorder (about 2 weeks) but they have been trickling in and shipping out for some customers. I did get some info as it is stereo and USB.........I don't know about the 2 amps thing still (probably not?)......interesting it has been off my radar but hmm......I'm a little intrigued......I know it comes with a bunch of amps already profiled.......I have zero amps since my Axe-FX so that would be an issue........I would guess you could access more profiles online in the future?

shred-o-holic":1j6yu4ph said:
I just called Sweet Water and talked to the rep I deal with Mark Bruhn a great guy to deal with by the way. I guess they have a slight backorder (about 2 weeks) but they have been trickling in and shipping out for some customers. I did get some info as it is stereo and USB.........I don't know about the 2 amps thing still (probably not?)......interesting it has been off my radar but hmm......I'm a little intrigued......I know it comes with a bunch of amps already profiled.......I have zero amps since my Axe-FX so that would be an issue........I would guess you could access more profiles online in the future?
It comes with a bunch of profiles sounds already as u cn bet there will be tons of sharing.

Audioholic":3dc5pmmz said:
shred-o-holic":3dc5pmmz said:
It comes with a bunch of profiles sounds already as u cn bet there will be tons of sharing.

There are five pages of guys with profiles on the kemper site for download. There also is a guy SELLING profiles which kinda bugs me... hopefully there is a way to 'watermark' your profiles where it can't be 'stolen' so to speak - I'd hate to have one of my profiles that I freely share be charged for.

Pete

stratotone":jfph8z5x said:
There also is a guy SELLING profiles which kinda bugs me... hopefully there is a way to 'watermark' your profiles where it can't be 'stolen' so to speak - I'd hate to have one of my profiles that I freely share be charged for.

Pete
:gethim: Bastid

checked out the forum and videos, wow is all I can say the slo comparison was Soooo close, I bet you can fine tune it and hit the nail on the head.

Do these things power themselves?

That's lame that a guy is selling profiles BUt I would be willing to pay a little if the profile was killer and recorded with top both gear and not expensive. Heck peeps pay for professional ir's. But still not great in a community sense

Back