Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sat, Nov 18, 2017 3:29am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Motor City Pickups!
PostPosted: Wed, Mar 07, 2012 9:09am 
Plank Cranker

I have been an EMG 81 user since 1994. I'm wondering what MCP will get me close to that tone. I've considered buying a used Gibson les paul standard to use as my passive guitar to try out Different pickups. I also really like what i've heard from the Dimarzio SD. I'm playing through a Marshall 2555 Slash Sig Jubilee into a Marshall 1960BHW cab with the Heritage G12H30's. I tune down a whole step to D standard and i play punk rock/Hardcore. Think Bad religion Meets Madball.

Post subject: Re: Motor City Pickups!
PostPosted: Wed, Mar 07, 2012 9:15am 
Rock God

DET1973 wrote:
I have been an EMG 81 user since 1994. I'm wondering what MCP will get me close to that tone.

Not sure what you're after here...why not just use the EMG if that's what you like? I believe Dimarzio makes a passive that sounds and feels like an active...you may want to look into that if you're set on getting away from EMG.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 07, 2012 9:18am 
Plank Cranker

rupe wrote:
DET1973 wrote:
I have been an EMG 81 user since 1994. I'm wondering what MCP will get me close to that tone.

Not sure what you're after here...why not just use the EMG if that's what you like? I believe Dimarzio makes a passive that sounds and feels like an active...you may want to look into that if you're set on getting away from EMG.

Not set on getting away from that tone, just wanna try something new.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 07, 2012 9:24am 
Supah Stah

I just put a super distortion in one of my ebmm axis'. It's becoming my favorite guitar now. A little compressed, clear, tight and nice and crunchy :thumbsup:

fwiw, I had a afwayu in it before but found it to be super hot and bright. Sent it back to Wade and he tweaked it and it was a million times better but not quite there. Looking back I wish I would have never sold it after that. It was so close to being perfect but I couldnt bring myself to send it back again...even though Im sure he wouldve fixed it up for me. I just hate being a pain in the ass to people :no:

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 07, 2012 10:56am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Passive EMG?
You want a Dimarzii D-Activator.

Dont think MCP will work for you. Maybe try Solution, but it might be too bright

Evil Epitome - http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/evil-epitome/id339480332?ign-mpt=uo%3D4 Phantom.357-http://www.amazon.com/Roadhouse-Nightmare/dp/B0026ODYIS/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk?ie=UTF8&qid=1240717122&sr=8-3

My Gear:Kemper, Axe-FX II, ENGL SE EL34, Friedman '76 Skullcrusher JMP100 SL, Pre-500 Dual Recto, Marshall JCM800KK, Peavey 5150, Krank Krankenstein, Nineteen80, Mesa 2:100, ADA MP-1 3TM, Rocktron ProGAP,Digitech GSP2101, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa 4x12 Cab (Recto Traditional), Marshall 1960av, 40+ish guitars!

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 07, 2012 10:56am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Double Post... :(

Evil Epitome - http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/evil-epitome/id339480332?ign-mpt=uo%3D4 Phantom.357-http://www.amazon.com/Roadhouse-Nightmare/dp/B0026ODYIS/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk?ie=UTF8&qid=1240717122&sr=8-3

My Gear:Kemper, Axe-FX II, ENGL SE EL34, Friedman '76 Skullcrusher JMP100 SL, Pre-500 Dual Recto, Marshall JCM800KK, Peavey 5150, Krank Krankenstein, Nineteen80, Mesa 2:100, ADA MP-1 3TM, Rocktron ProGAP,Digitech GSP2101, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa 4x12 Cab (Recto Traditional), Marshall 1960av, 40+ish guitars!

Last edited by mightywarlock on Wed, Mar 07, 2012 1:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 07, 2012 1:30pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I'm going to make a suggestion to a couple that I know will nail that sustain & power factor of the emgs...
The Motor City Pickups Garuda which is a modern series humbucker with lots of power & thickness or the Motor City Pickups Zeus which is in the extreme series humbucker with lots & lots of power & sustain to it.
Those are both brand new pickups, the solution also wouldn't be a bad choice but the voicing is slightly brigher in that one than the emgs. Give Wade a call @ 734.535.4590 & he can explain to you more about these new pickups which will see their grand unveiling with the new site which we are working hard on getting wrapped up right now. But for my buck, stay away from the dimarzios, they'll give you the power but you'll get other weird undesired results with them as well.
-Brent

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 07, 2012 3:23pm 
Plank Cranker

TIBrent wrote:
Give Wade a call @ 734.535.4590 & he can explain to you more about these new pickups which will see their grand unveiling with the new site which we are working hard on getting wrapped up right now. But for my buck, stay away from the dimarzios, they'll give you the power but you'll get other weird undesired results with them as well.
-Brent
+1...best way to answer your questions. Wade is the best.

"Big whoop. I'm spooning a Barrett .50-cal. I could kill a building."

"Broccoli? That's what my food eats. That's my food's food, and I don't appreciate you eating that."

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 07, 2012 4:55pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Bronco wrote:
+1...best way to answer your questions. Wade is the best.

& Any man with a Kenny Powers avatar knows we he his talking about :thumbsup:
-Brent

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 08, 2012 12:06am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

i suggest looking into the bkp miracle man set.