DAR FBM100H?? Versatile?? or just Djent?? HELP.

Can the DAR FBM100H do other styles of music besides the Meshuggah djent metal sound? Most of the clips available to me don't show much versatility away from that particular sound. I'm considering a possible purchase between the DAR FBM100H, Rhodes Colossus or the Fortin Natas. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

mniel8195":3vh8an6s said:
i would imagine the latter two are going to be more versatile.
I want something with a brutal sound, gain monster that can stay tight, articulate and keep the lows in check when I speed things up, no chords washing out. But I also want great cleans avaible in the same amp. I just don't want a one trick pony sort a speak on the dirty channels.

Though being a 4 channel amp, the FBM100H is not particularly versatile. The cleans are pretty sterile, but not surprising when you consider the intended application. I tried rolling the gain back on the aptly named Metal 1, 2, and 3 channels and the taper wasn't exactly linear. It's all or nothing. The Tuzzia is a lot more versatile.

I think there's only been three amps shipped out, and the preorders for this production run are filled. I haven't played any of these amplifiers personally, so I ant really directly address the question. Sorry!

guitarslayer":uxkt17us said:
mniel8195":uxkt17us said:
I want something with a brutal sound, gain monster that can stay tight, articulate and keep the lows in check when I speed things up, no chords washing out. But I also want great cleans avaible in the same amp. I just don't want a one trick pony sort a speak on the dirty channels.

Well the Natas will do what you want gain wise and it has an exceptional clean channel too; it's definitely NOT an amp where the clean channel was thrown on as an afterthought. In addition to the tone being great, the feel is spot on. It has a nice bounce to it; it has just enough compression to keep the dynamics in check, but not so much that it sucks the life out of the feel. Honestly, for high gain channel switchers I'd rank in my top 3 for clean channels, joining the OD-100 and a Cameron Uber w/Shiva clean channel mod.

Sadly if you want one before you die of old age, you're most likely looking at the Rhodes only?

I'm a DAR fanboy, but they need to get to where getting stuff out the door. And Fortin is busy with Randall, and was slow with the Natas before that.

The DAR Forza would fit the bill for sure, it has a nice clean, and i'd rate it a better all around amp than a VH4.

What about an Ultralead, or CLX?

fearhk213":3iycj77f said:
guitarslayer":3iycj77f said:
mniel8195":3iycj77f said:

Well the Natas will do what you want gain wise and it has an exceptional clean channel too; it's definitely NOT an amp where the clean channel was thrown on as an afterthought. In addition to the tone being great, the feel is spot on. It has a nice bounce to it; it has just enough compression to keep the dynamics in check, but not so much that it sucks the life out of the feel. Honestly, for high gain channel switchers I'd rank in my top 3 for clean channels, joining the OD-100 and a Cameron Uber w/Shiva clean channel mod.

The clean channel has more headroom than any other higain switcher I have ever played, it would make an incredible pedal platform.

The only thing it will not do great is crunch like a marshall but covers 80s, thrash, and any modern metal the kids can hang some gender name on.

Men have tried to copy it and nothing yet from them.............................

guitarslayer":1g6f770i said:
mniel8195":1g6f770i said:

What do you consider a great clean?

Have you considered a boosted dual rectifier? It can do about anything you want, and was the origin of the "djent" sound.

Dar Forza as well. Go the extra money on the forza it does it all. The cleans are pristine. The ch2 nice blues acdc crunch. Ch3 is a fkn wrecking machine. Ch4 is blistering leads w no flub! I just had my forza all suped up from Dar. Its on it's way back along w a new Dar 4x12 to boot.
I sold my vh4 for the Dar I've never looked back.
Another thing is Dar sounds like no other amp. It's not some bs modded up wanna be Marshall its very tight articulate. You sloppy player u get caught!!!

i wanted a DAR FBM so bad that i sold my herbert to have the money available if/when a FBM-100 became available.

i was hoping against all odds that i would be able to score one before it was needed for recording. no joy. thank god i was able to buy my old herbert back.

all three of the OP's choices are top of the line amps. i would buy any of them. but my ultra lead and herbert will have to suffice for now, as i will be waiting for a FBM for probably as long as i will wait for the fortin designed randall (est. 2013).

Ive heard about DAR but Ive never actually seen one, like anywhere. Lots of talk but nothing else, have any shipped to anyone?

I own a Dar forza. Outstanding amp and customer service. I don't want to speak for mike but I know he was getting a big order ready w them. Be patient. These amps are worth it. Not like rushing into another modded wanna be something else amp. They are worth every dime. Maybe hit him up on a pm. He's great to speak with n will answer all your questions. Our band is headed to studio in ny n Dar is gonna be my backbone right neck to Hagen.

Hey Guys,

Just Got a text from a rig-talker to log on and give my 2 cents ;)

Well, as for the FBM’s ask Rob @ Rack Systems what he thinks about the amp (send him a call or PM). I just had one in his shop a couple weeks ago. I am fully confident about his answer to you regarding the $ or the wait…

About the FBM clean, I can guarantee it's one of the nicest cleans you have ever heard.... (on any amp, not just a metal amp) Don't forget that behind it's funny look is a GIANT Grid Bias Class A triode output stage. (World’s largest in fact for an Instrument Amp) It delivers more warm even order harmonics than any guitar amp ever built….Period. And the Clean is Beautiful....

As for the High gain channels, (all 3 of them) out of the box, the FBM is built as a 100% metal amp. We can drop the gain a bit, add a little more 'expressiveness' if one likes, but out of the box this amp is all about metal.

The Forza Quattro and Tuzzia do have a really nice crunch channel as well.

There are a few things I want to clarify now that I am here and have ppl's attention....
I (Mike) HAND BUILD every amp we produce. I'm not doing this to be the biggest or most well known guy out there, I AM doing this because I wanted to deliver something absolutely new/unique/exciting to the scene. For those who aren’t into it, I will be more than happy to recommend a dozen other amps that I think are very well built and sound great….. but NONE sound/Feel like a DAR.

I opened a Dedicated Shop here in downtown Palo Alto, California just for the DAR production/research. We are open to anyone who wants to swing by and check out the builds/technology and have a beer. All the major parts are 100% US made and come from the best suppliers in the industry to my custom designs and specifications. (Just the Transformer set in these heads weighs ~42 Lbs) These are Big/Expensive/Extremely Exotic amps. I keep the price as low as low as absolutely possible so you are getting one hell of a machine at a really great price. The price you pay factors in 2 things, the materials and minimum overhead to run the shop. In keeping these prices reasonable and given that EVERYTHING is custom built, we have to procure parts in large batches to keep unit costs down. Then I build them by hand…
The wait sucks, I know, but for those who can handle it, I am sure it is worth it.

We have a TON of amps reserved right now, in fact so many that we no longer take deposits on preorders. We just pencil you in on the build list. Once the amp is ready, pay then and we ship... not even a penny before. (this makes your wait more bearable knowing you can cancel anytime and don't have any money invested)

Email or Call me anytime, Mike :)
Mike@daramps.com
650 814-1712

Haven't heard the Fortin but I've played the DAR and the Rhodes -- I think you can't go wrong either way but I'd put my money into a Rhodes.

mikegiovannotto":84fptauy said:
Hey Guys,

Just Got a text from a rig-talker to log on and give my 2 cents ;)

Well, as for the FBM’s ask Rob @ Rack Systems what he thinks about the amp (send him a call or PM). I just had one in his shop a couple weeks ago. I am fully confident about his answer to you regarding the $ or the wait…

About the FBM clean, I can guarantee it's one of the nicest cleans you have ever heard.... (on any amp, not just a metal amp) Don't forget that behind it's funny look is a GIANT Grid Bias Class A triode output stage. (World’s largest in fact for an Instrument Amp) It delivers more warm even order harmonics than any guitar amp ever built….Period. And the Clean is Beautiful....

As for the High gain channels, (all 3 of them) out of the box, the FBM is built as a 100% metal amp. We can drop the gain a bit, add a little more 'expressiveness' if one likes, but out of the box this amp is all about metal.

The Forza Quattro and Tuzzia do have a really nice crunch channel as well.

There are a few things I want to clarify now that I am here and have ppl's attention....
I (Mike) HAND BUILD every amp we produce. I'm not doing this to be the biggest or most well known guy out there, I AM doing this because I wanted to deliver something absolutely new/unique/exciting to the scene. For those who aren’t into it, I will be more than happy to recommend a dozen other amps that I think are very well built and sound great….. but NONE sound/Feel like a DAR.

I opened a Dedicated Shop here in downtown Palo Alto, California just for the DAR production/research. We are open to anyone who wants to swing by and check out the builds/technology and have a beer. All the major parts are 100% US made and come from the best suppliers in the industry to my custom designs and specifications. (Just the Transformer set in these heads weighs ~42 Lbs) These are Big/Expensive/Extremely Exotic amps. I keep the price as low as low as absolutely possible so you are getting one hell of a machine at a really great price. The price you pay factors in 2 things, the materials and minimum overhead to run the shop. In keeping these prices reasonable and given that EVERYTHING is custom built, we have to procure parts in large batches to keep unit costs down. Then I build them by hand…
The wait sucks, I know, but for those who can handle it, I am sure it is worth it.

We have a TON of amps reserved right now, in fact so many that we no longer take deposits on preorders. We just pencil you in on the build list. Once the amp is ready, pay then and we ship... not even a penny before. (this makes your wait more bearable knowing you can cancel anytime and don't have any money invested)

Email or Call me anytime, Mike :)
Mike@daramps.com
650 814-1712
Just wanted to thank you and everyone else who took the time out to help with my questions. Much appreciated! Still can't decide which is the best choice for my needs...all seem to be great amps... :rock:

Back