ADA 3TM

Has anyone noted an output drop on the MP1 after the 3TM mod? The one I have has considerably less output than a stock one that I've compared it to. On the modded unit I need to go around noon-ish to match the output of the stock unit at 9 o'clock.

robertkoa":2a9h9qto said:
My first E-bay purchase ever about 2 years ago was an ADA MP1 that came with noise mods and JJ83s Tubes.

Guys on the Forums said I'd get nice Medium Gain Marshall-ish Tones if I wanted instead of the really high Gain stuff- they were right -especially into Cab IRs- pretty quiet and very good sounding.

I was surprised the Mods were for more Gain- it has plenty- if they had used 3 Preamp Tubes instead of 2 and the Op Amp Input was a Tube instead- and though I'm not a Tech by any means ( just a Player who has talked to lots of Amp Gurus )- higher Plate Voltages as Baron mentioned and also the Heater Voltage ( the "12 " in 12AX7 ) is about 9 volts which is odd- and not all 12AX7s respond as well as they might.

But it's a good unit- just maybe could have been great-and the Mods all get higher Gain , not beef up the Cleans etc.I asked on that Site if anyone had Mods to replace the Op Amp with a Tube but no takers.

To be clear- my unit had the " Noise Mod " already done to it- I think the MRDT Mod changes the transformer and raises the Heater Voltage to 12 ( 12AX7 )- don't know if that raises the plate voltage to the tubes also....

Here is the funny thing about he Stock ADA transformer. It has an input spec on the primaries of 117VAC. In the US the standard wall voltage spec is 120 VAC but in reality it averages about 122 to 126 VAC. Using the ADA with these voltages, the secondary voltages are actually much closer to 12volts on the heaters and the plates are also much higher.

I was getting 11.6 volts on the heaters and I tweaked the hv supply resistors and was getting 260V supply to the plates. So no new transformer needed.

Problem is the ADA depot was stating voltage values as what is specified on the schematics, meaning the unit was run at a wall voltage of 117VAC, but in the US the wall voltage is much higher.

Baron 55 -very interesting and thanks for explaining that .

There was a time that Todd Langner had left ADA and was doing some of his own Mods and I remember talking to him on the phone and he told me if I got one he would Mod it and it was not really very expensive.

If I had heard his stuff in person I would have done it, he told me he could get way better cleans and more all around dynamics etc.

I didn't realize until years later how highly regarded he was , I should have gone.for it....

I used to have 3 of these MP-1's.
One awesome sounding one, one so so sounding one, and then I got the 3TM...and sold the others.

However, I think I miss the better sounding original, as I always felt there was better note definition in the original than the over the top gain 3TM one I have...and mine is one of the originals, modded by Hairston.

No question though, that these things still sound amazing...

robertkoa":g5efszv3 said:
Baron 55 -very interesting and thanks for explaining that .

There was a time that Todd Langner had left ADA and was doing some of his own Mods and I remember talking to him on the phone and he told me if I got one he would Mod it and it was not really very expensive.

If I had heard his stuff in person I would have done it, he told me he could get way better cleans and more all around dynamics etc.

I didn't realize until years later how highly regarded he was , I should have gone.for it....

Todd Langer worked on the MP-1 and then left. His own designs were pretty awesome and all tube (no diode or PNP transistor clipping)

Todd quit the amp business many years ago, but some of his designs live on.................

MightyWarlock,

Did you experience any difference on the output of the MP1 3TM vs the stock MP1? I bought my 3TM with the mod done already so I don't know if the unit has some issue at the output stage regarding how loud the unit can get.

Just has more gain.
No real difference in output.
Tone slightly difference as a result.
Smoother.
Not sure if it is noisier or not (been awhile since I used it), but pretty similar, just more gain.

So I guess this means that there is a problem with the output of my MP1 3TM.
Any one have any idea what this might be?

So,
I got a reply from MarshallJMP about the output of the MP1 3TM mod. It turns out that the unit in deed has less output than the stock version. As he explained it is to compensate for the increased gain.
So yes, there is a difference in output.

I offer several mods for the ADA MP1 to suit anyone style and likings.

Last year I designed the FozTone High Voltage Transformer. Plate voltage has been stepped up from 190VDC to 240VDC and the 8-10VDC heaters are now 12.6VDC. Its about 28.6-30VA making it more than twice the power of the original and the MDRT and Mercury Magnetics Transformer.
This lowers noise, expands the headroom and clarity and adds some edge to the gain characteristics and has a tighter bass response. I designed this because I use several Three Tube Mod boards and the original transformer was not designed to handle (3) 12AX7s. I have 12 available. I am Not Affiliated with ADADEPOT.

For any questions about mods and upgrades hit me up at
MMRBIZ@yahoo.com

Attachments

• FozTone MP1 Transfomer2 .jpg
    FozTone MP1 Transfomer2 .jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 3,026
First time I fell in love with the ADA MP-1 was the live album below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnJj1Cg_7Yw

I know alot of Paul's tone is just Paul but that squelchy pick attack sound make me super keen to get one. I find mine a little bit noisey, it's a stock mk1 MP-1 so I'm also interested in the noise mod.

Has anyone updated the firmware on it to 2.01? What's the difference?

FozTone":1srw8234 said:
I offer several mods for the ADA MP1 to suit anyone style and likings.

Last year I designed the FozTone High Voltage Transformer. Plate voltage has been stepped up from 190VDC to 240VDC and the 8-10VDC heaters are now 12.6VDC. Its about 28.6-30VA making it more than twice the power of the original and the MDRT and Mercury Magnetics Transformer.
This lowers noise, expands the headroom and clarity and adds some edge to the gain characteristics and has a tighter bass response. I designed this because I use several Three Tube Mod boards and the original transformer was not designed to handle (3) 12AX7s. I have 12 available. I am Not Affiliated with ADADEPOT.

For any questions about mods and upgrades hit me up at
MMRBIZ@yahoo.com

So Langner did it all wrong, really!??!? Dude, you're on dangerous ground here with talk like that. Todd Langner was a close friend and I had numerous amps, preamps and original MP-1's with prototype boards built by him. I was born at night but not last night. I ran his original modded MP-1's through all kinds of badass poweramps and from experience can tell you are on a bad trip thinking you can better Todd Langner, not on your best day friend.

ghosty999":3g4ffz8d said:
First time I fell in love with the ADA MP-1 was the live album below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnJj1Cg_7Yw

I know alot of Paul's tone is just Paul but that squelchy pick attack sound make me super keen to get one. I find mine a little bit noisey, it's a stock mk1 MP-1 so I'm also interested in the noise mod.

Has anyone updated the firmware on it to 2.01? What's the difference?
FW 2.01 improves the MIDI, it does not affect the tone 69 factory presets, allows MIDI sysex dumps for single programs and entire memory, so it is very useful if you want to backup your presets via a MIDI dump to a computer...

Re 3TM: I modded my favorite MP-1 to 3TM back when everyone on the ADA Depot was doing it and it ruined it (IMHO). It had enough gain to begin with... should not have messed with greatness. The third channel was unusable... and the second channel was so gained out it could no longer get any lower level crunch... only upside was everyone wanted one so it was not hard to flip but it was my precious. :(

I just got an unmodded ADA MP-1 and it's gain city. If I want more I'll just run a TS808 in front of it. I'm not about to ruin that tone.

candletears7":14871237 said:
I just got an unmodded ADA MP-1 and it's gain city. If I want more I'll just run a TS808 in front of it. I'm not about to ruin that tone.

I remember mine sounding thin and shrill before 3TM and even after. IMHO I certainly feel Cliff has the AxeFx sounding better than my ADA did as a pre-amp.

Back