2012 Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strats

Jakem

Anyone tested these? Good/bad compared to the older models? Any other spec changes compared to the older models than the flush mount straplocks and SD pickups?

I had a 2006 and currently own a 2011.

The 2011 has the bullet truss rod, a more secure way for the neck to be bolted to the body (forgot what they call it) deeper scallops.

I hated the HS3's in the 2006 model. Absolutely no output and vanilla tone. The Duncans are more output and better matched to their positions....the bridge pu has some output.

383870_2828410073358_1499995356_n.jpg

Thanks for the info, Carl. :thumbsup: BTW, I checked your JVM/YJM demo clip and the playing and the tones were great! Do these new models still have the problem with high-E falling off the fretboard?

Jakem":13svxi3n said:
Thanks for the info, Carl. :thumbsup: BTW, I checked your JVM/YJM demo clip and the playing and the tones were great! Do these new models still have the problem with high-E falling off the fretboard?

yes, the high E falling off the edge is still a problem. The lighter the string the worse it is.

cupcaketwins":3t5zbu63 said:
Jakem":3t5zbu63 said:

yes, the high E falling off the edge is still a problem. The lighter the string the worse it is.

peavey wolfgangs have that problem too, its bothersome at first but you adapt your playing quickly to avoid it, at least i did with the wolfgang, so when i played a few YJM's it really was not a problem.

Basically dont let it be a deal breaker in owning one - its a minor problem and not something that should become a factor

cupcaketwins":2mggladw said:
Jakem":2mggladw said:

This is not a problem with the guitar, it's operator error. It takes time to get used to a scalloped fingerboard.

chunktone":1mceu3nf said:
cupcaketwins":1mceu3nf said:
Jakem":1mceu3nf said:

This is not a problem with the guitar, it's operator error. It takes time to get used to a scalloped fingerboard.

I kind of wondered if this was the case...I argued back & forth on this years ago on a thread- I never noticed an issue with my 2009 model. I may have slipped 2x is almost 4 years. I have a buddy who has one- maybe 2005-ish? and he never noted an issue

I also see some feedback on the old p/u- why the need to have super high output pickups :confused: I love the neck & middle tones, but my bridge is a bit abrasive, I may need to make a height adjustment...as for low output pickups, doesn't that yield a certain tonal quality that others seek? IDK, most of guitars have hot pickups, but I enjoy the Ystrat too

It's the vintage trem with the wider neck radius that lends the string to slip off the edge.
Eric Johnson strat does the same thing. Callaham makes a bridge to help with this.
I ordered a new 2012 Yngwie from MF waited over 3 months for it and sent it back the day I got it.

chunktone":3q7cshe3 said:
cupcaketwins":3q7cshe3 said:
Jakem":3q7cshe3 said:

It certainly is a factor of the guitar. The fact that the neck is scalloped, vintage trem, etc
I'm on my 4th Yngwie Strat . They all do it.
Yes, you can adapt your technique around it, but it's not operator error by a longshot.

As to the PU's. HS-3's have LESS output than STOCK Strat single coils. I'm a fan of low output singles but the HS-3's are severly lacking. You can raise the bridge PU to the moon, it's just not there.

The Duncans aren't high output anyway, they just have more than the HS-3s

I had a problem with the E falling off the fretboard as well. I've heard of some tricks to help it, I think our lost buddy Barzini had a few tips as well as 70'strathead.

But ain't they just one of the sexiest looking guitars? The first thing I would do is put a 5-way switch on though, I'd still like to have the 2nd and 4th positions for clean tones. I don't think I've owned one long enough to really get used to it though, but bending and vibrato is lot's of fun on these.

I've played a few over the years and they are great guitars with a little something extra. Can't put a finger on why, they just play and sound great.
I'd like to pick one up. :yes:

cupcaketwins":uirlbzht said:
chunktone":uirlbzht said:
cupcaketwins":uirlbzht said:
Jakem":uirlbzht said:

It certainly is a factor of the guitar. The fact that the neck is scalloped, vintage trem, etc
I'm on my 4th Yngwie Strat . They all do it.
Yes, you can adapt your technique around it, but it's not operator error by a longshot.

Maybe it is on the YJM guitar, but it isn't that way on all scalloped necks. I have 2 and neither one are even close to doing that.

I agree with Carl and Danny, the high E has issues falling off and it has nothing to do with the operator. GUys that have played Yngwies for years like Ant stated the same thing and there is a fix I cannot remember but enough searching here should find it.

Also agree the the HS3s, very weak and medicore cleans. I am getting a set of SDs put into my clone and selling the old Yngwie set.

Here's a trick that may or may not correct the high e issue if you have some play in the neck pocket.

* Detune all of the strings to the point where there's no tension on the neck, but not enough for the strings to fall off.
* Loosen each of the neck screws approximately a quarter of a turn, one by one. Start on the top two, then do the bottom two.
* Loosen each of the neck screws approximately another quarter of a turn.
* The neck should be able to wiggle a little bit. Shift the neck as far upwards from the floor when in playing position as the neck
pocket allows, and retighten the neck. Do not apply too much pressure or you may crack the wood on the side of the pocket or the
finish!
* Retune and see if the neck adjustment brought the high e in toward the center of the fretboard.

I've done this on several different Strats and it has worked wonders, but it only works if there's a little extra room in the neck pocket, which there usually is.

So I went to the local music shop yesterday and they called Fender Scandinavia. FS has ran out of the YJM models and they should get some new ones, most likely, in August/September. :doh:

I have a 2007 model. I know there are many people that have issue with the high E falling off. The biggest trick to this instrument is having it set up exactly. The vintage bridge is unforgiving and even the slightest angle on a saddle will reek havoc on the playability. The edges of the frets are rolled a bit more than on any of my other fenders also. The SD PuPs also are very unforgiving in there placement to the strings. I found on my particular model that they either sound great of awful and even if one of the is too close the magnetic interference screws with things. Even the type of string materials seem to create an issue, probably a taste thing but I found that the Everly B52's seem to do the PuPs justice. It might sound like I hate the thing but it is probably one of my favorite guitars in my collection. I do notice though if it is away for a bit I was last playing my diablo or other flater radius or wider neck guitars there is a bit of acclimation period getting used to the differences in that guitar. I haven't had the chance to try a new model since I moved to the middle of nowhere but I certain would love to see how they differ.

Back