When did Gibson stop using ebony on the LP Custom fretboards

Yep!what C1-ocaster said. best post on here IMO.

Sorry, but you can keep your Paper Mache fretboard. If you are playing just to make noise as in Metal, hey go for it. Firecrackers make noise too, and they are both [fretboard and firecrackers] made out of paper. As one person said - what would I care about the re sale value, I don't intend to ever sell it. Well, when you are gone and your wife or kids try to sell it because they need a little extra money, guess what?

I have been following Les Paul Supreme's on Ebay [already have a custom - 2003], it seems no one is buying the 2013 models. These are now $5000 guitars which are going for less than 3k in excellent cond. and a year old. And they are not selling! There was a White 2013 with a starting bid of $1700, it got 1 bid before time ran out and that one bid was retracted because ebay thought the fretboard was ebony, the owner clarified that it was Richlite and the bid was retracted.

So if you want to pay 4 grand for Paper Mache, that's your loss.

I'm too old school so I like real rosewood on standards ans real ebony on Customs and won't buy a Gibson without it. They abandon ebony, slap paper shavings, epoxy, spit, weed resin mixed to make richlite -- yet they don't reduce the price of a Custom.

rupe":3lcpszx6 said:
iid":3lcpszx6 said:
Also, concerning Ebony as not being a good tone wood. What a joke, I guess that's why they have been using it on violins, violas and most western string instruments for centuries, because its not a good tone wood. Let me know when you find richlite or rosewood on a good violin. lolz
Read for comprehension much? Based on this response, the answer in a definitive "no".
bigdaddyd":3lcpszx6 said:
rupe":3lcpszx6 said:
Shawn Lutz":3lcpszx6 said:
I also find that in higher gain stuff the tone of fretboard differences are generally small where a lot of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between ebony, rosewood or maple anyway.
Absolutely...which is exactly why I think you see more ebony boards on guitars being played by "metal" guys than anywhere else. Its what I was alluding to when I mentioned that you rarely see a LP Custom being used by players "who play with a tone that retains a great deal of dynamics".

span>

span>

span>

images

span>
Exactly...thanks for the backup! :thumbsup:

"Read for comprehension much? Based on this response, the answer in a definitive "no"."

Well, at least you are not brain dead, a bit challenged maybe, Certainly egocentric as you ASSume my post was a response to you. Since it is apparent you need attention, this one is for you - :LOL: :LOL:

The lawsuit wasn't over the wood itself, it was about how it was harvested and tariff classifications used during export/import. The wood was returned to Gibson who published a statement including their continued ability to source ebony and rosewood: http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/F ... lemen.aspx

So it's pretty obvious Gibson's motivation in going with Richlite wasn't born out of environmental conscience but because it's the path of least resistance. No ebony/rosewood, less chance of more legal snafus. This is further supported by the fact that any builder worth a shit offers both without batting an eye.

Back