Whats your fave Distortion Pedal in front of a clean amp?

attachment.php

I have several faves. The Bogner Red (have owned three of them), the Carl Martin Plexitone V1 (have owned 2 or 3), and the Fulltone OCD V4 (have also owned 2-3). I also love my Friedman BE.

The Hardwire CM2 OD pedal is actually pretty damn good and always seems to hold up decently against these other pedals. It still ends up one one of my boards most of the time. Has a very full sound.

nickname009":32p3tuq9 said:
currently in the same boat as kage, I used to work in a guitar store for a bit over 3 years and tried quite a few pedals; nearly all the wampler stuff, carl martin plexitone, radial london bones, trimode, classic, badcat tube preamp pedal, suhr riot, nearly all solidgoldfx stuff, nearly all jam pedals,the list goes on.

The ones that stuck out: suhr riot w/an OD pedal together, CM plexitone. Oddly enough the pinnacle didn't do ANYTHING for me, mind you, I played each pedal through 3 or 4 different amps and it still just sounded like a pedal to me and plastic-y and non amp-like. Hoping you find something and please post clips!!

Yeah... I had the Pinnacle Deluxe and sold it the next day after buying it. Sounded like complete mush to me. I had put it up on a pedestal and it was such a disappointment to me.

Btw... just noticed how old this thread was. Holy throwback Batman!!!

Red_Label":3keso1ci said:
The fact that the Plexitone is still at the top of your list after 5 years speaks volumes. I really want one of their Comp/Limiters (esp the Andy Timmons version) and now I want a Plexitone too.

I have had the other three you mentioned and still use the OCD and BE.

SpiderWars":1s05aby6 said:
Red_Label":1s05aby6 said:
The fact that the Plexitone is still at the top of your list after 5 years speaks volumes. I really want one of their Comp/Limiters (esp the Andy Timmons version) and now I want a Plexitone too.

I have had the other three you mentioned and still use the OCD and BE.

Yup. The PT, OCD, and XTC Red have really stood the test of time for me. Sure... I sold all of them, but always ended-up buying them back. I can't say that for other ODs/distortions that I've had... even the heavily-modded green ones, which are long gone and not missed.

exo-metal":15pmtk3w said:
Crunchtime":15pmtk3w said:
if you can find an old Zoom Tri-Metal and pair it with an MXR 10 band EQ it is fucking awesome.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but do you still stand by this statement? Maybe u can post a vid?
I want to push my 2203 to meltdown with high gain from a musical pedal.

I also wanted to try a Suhr Reactive Load a Fryette Power Station 2 so I can use my FX and not have to install a fx loop

I longer have the Zoom, wish I still did. Traded it off a few years ago. A great Recto in a box pedal into a clean amp.

+1 for the BE-OD

Not an OD, but rather it's a brilliant and versatile distortion pedal! Open it up and turn down the internal trimpot from the stock 12:00 setting to 9:00. I hear a little extra clarity using an 18V power supply instead of 9V as well.

guitarobert":15jfogaf said:
+1 for the BE-OD

Not an OD, but rather it's a brilliant and versatile distortion pedal! Open it up and turn down the internal trimpot from the stock 12:00 setting to 9:00. I hear a little extra clarity using an 18V power supply instead of 9V as well.

Agreed. I turned my trim pot on the BE-OD down immediately and haven't looked back. That pedal really does make a good clean amp (like my Fender Deluxe FRS and Super Champ FRS) sound like a Friedman at man cave volumes. I owned the Taco, Smallbox, and Dirty Shirley... so I'd know. I also had long term possession of a friend's BE100. I'm sure that moving lots of air at stage volume would result in differences... but at the sane (though earplug) volumes I usually play at, the BE-OD really is Friedman amp in a pedal. Same as the Bogner XTC pedals. It's not going anywhere.

With tube:
-H&K Tubefactor
-Blackstar HT-Dual

Without tube:
-Bogner XTC Red (less amp-like than the Blue, but still very good)
-Zoom HL-01 Hyper Lead (does really tight high gain)
-Marshall Guv'nor MKI

None, honestly.

I don't like using a guitar amplifier as a PA. I want it to distort. An overdrive pedal is okay, but I actually use it as an overdrive- to push the amp into distortion.

Back