Whats your fave Distortion Pedal in front of a clean amp?

Gainzilla

The reason that I ask is that sometimes, its just not possible to lug your rig somewhere to play and you want something thats small and convenient that you could plug into the front of practically anything and get your sound.

The tone that Im going for is in the Schon Moore Schenker vein and Id love the pedal to be able to stack well with another pedal like an OD that I could hit for solos to give just a hint more gain to get into that liquidy lead area. Feel is really important as well..

So far, the Wampler SLOstortion and Plexitortion along with the XTS Atomic Overdrive sound really good from what Ive heard

Im not a metal guy and have no desire for anything "brutal", Think 70's 80's hard /heavy rock...

Kage

Gainfreak":3gr3a4mx said:
Radial tonebone Trimode

That's where I was going. I used one while sitting in with another band recently and that's exactly how the guy had it set up...straight into a clean amp with all of the drive coming from the pedal. I had a cool, usable tone going on and wouldn't hesitate to grab one of these if I needed that option.

rupe":18ermh6z said:
Gainfreak":18ermh6z said:
Radial tonebone Trimode

That's where I was going. I used one while sitting in with another band recently and that's exactly how the guy had it set up...straight into a clean amp with all of the drive coming from the pedal. I had a cool, usable tone going on and wouldn't hesitate to grab one of these if I needed that option.
YOU ROCK!! :yes: :rock: :rock:

I have always had to have a simple litttle board with this in mind as these things come up,...My fave is the Wampler Triple Wreck but might be too much for you are asking for here - although you could turn down the gain. I also like the London Bones, Marshall Shredmaster and of course MXR distortion +. YMMV

I've used the Radial Bones London for a while now into a clean plexi clone and liked the sound a lot:

I think this clip's been made to demo the EHX Magnum .44 by someone here, but it's a great representation of what the Radial can do!

And the Radial Tonebone Plexitube could be right up your alley as well, basically the same features as the TriMode but voiced towards a British amp.

And why not the Suhr Riot as well?!

Michi":29lal7gg said:
I've used the Radial Bones London for a while now into a clean plexi clone and liked the sound a lot:

I think this clip's been made to demo the EHX Magnum .44 by someone here, but it's a great representation of what the Radial can do!

And the Radial Tonebone Plexitube could be right up your alley as well, basically the same features as the TriMode but voiced towards a British amp.

And why not the Suhr Riot as well?!
That was also on my list and that is Nick from this forum :rock:

i used to have a really nice modded ibenaz pedal that i gave to a couple of weirdo's up in NYC. bet it would work pretty well......j/k.

Gainzilla":26ncs325 said:
The reason that I ask is that sometimes, its just not possible to lug your rig somewhere to play and you want something thats small and convenient that you could plug into the front of practically anything and get your sound.

The tone that Im going for is in the Schon Moore Schenker vein and Id love the pedal to be able to stack well with another pedal like an OD that I could hit for solos to give just a hint more gain to get into that liquidy lead area. Feel is really important as well..

So far, the Wampler SLOstortion and Plexitortion along with the XTS Atomic Overdrive sound really good from what Ive heard

Im not a metal guy and have no desire for anything "brutal", Think 70's 80's hard /heavy rock...

Kage

Check the Plexitone from Carl Martin, I checked a lot of pedals, by far the best for your sound/application, heard there is a improved version by another modder available, but it kills even stock (I do not know the atomic and wamplers).

It is also better to tame the sizzle of your clean amp, i.e. scumback m75 or and perhaps less bright valve....

The only pedal, which I like better, is a expensively/strongly tuned bad cat pedal I own (i do not like (hate) it stock)....

Kai

Rash":1x7ebagg said:
Yes check the Plexitone from Carl Martin...

Oh yeah forgot about that little bugger, I liked the stock version a lot when I used it to the clean channel of a Crate BlueVoodoo 50 (!!!). The boost feature is awesome, and there are many different nice tones to be had from it.

I like my Barber Direct Drive, in front of any amp it sounds great! :rock: Would like to try some of his other stuff as well.

My fave "flig rig" OD pedals are my Plexitone, and the original Radial Hot British that I demo'd a while back. Not the biggest fan of all-pedal OD, but if it's gotta be that way, those pedals are great.

JackBootedThug":2uxo2gbn said:
i used to have a really nice modded ibenaz pedal that i gave to a couple of weirdo's up in NYC. bet it would work pretty well......j/k.
DUDE!!!

For the life of me I could not remember who sent that!! I still have it and often told Kage that there was a pedal here for him and he keeps on forgetting to pick it up!!!

Now I need to plug it in and do some clips!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

blast from the past eh? bodenhammer modded ts something. i know he modded the fuck out of it and put a really cool led on it. record that fucker ralph!

Gainfreak":1yw3gm5i said:
I own this and It actually sounds better then how he has it dialed in lol

I remember you telling me about that one and I watched this exact vid and thought " That doesnt sound so good, Ralphie must have some trick for it"

Suhr Riot is a crazy pedal bro. Give it a whirl and see what you think.

Ed always got killer tone from the Emma, may be a possibility for you as well. Or you could just be a crazy cheap ass bitch and stack a Bad Monkey into a stock SD-1 and fucking roll old school like a man. ;) :D

Back