Mojotone 4x12 vs Bogner

souldigger

Hey All,

I'm in the market for another 4x12 straight cab. I have an Uber and love it, but want something more for rock and blues. So I was thinking a Bogner with Greenbacks, however I came across a good deal on an unloaded Mojo cab. I'll have to add speakers so it may get somewhat pricey depending on what I put in it. Anyone try/have a Mojo or ever compared it to the Bogner. I know where I can get a Bogner full stack (they won't split it up), but it's a bit above my current guitar fund :( . Thanks in advance.

-Jason

I had a Germino-branded Mojotone cab. It was very well made. On par with any of the "boutique" stuff that I've had.

My main cab is a Mojo 412B. I've had it longer than any other 4x12. Solid build and sounds great. Only thing I did was drive a screw into the center brace to solidify the back panel. Compared back to back to an old JCM800 4x12 (both loaded with greenbacks at the time), the Mojo was clearer with more high end detail and tighter bass. The Marshall had a slightly darker/muffled quality in comparison. This was at low/medium volumes. The cabs got closer in tone at gig volumes.

Coincidentally, I was asking this same question a few months back (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118102&hilit=mojo+bluesbreaker) and decided to give a Mojo cabinet a try. I just recently received my customized, unloaded oversized Bluesbreaker 2x12" extension cab. Here are some pics taken with my Blackberry (not the best, but you get the idea).....

IMG-20120908-00564.jpg

IMG-20120908-00567.jpg

I got the 3 piece back option. I just dropped in the drivers and wired it up this weekend.....

IMG-20120916-00645.jpg

IMG-20120916-00648.jpg

What I can tell you is that it's basically identical to my Bogner oversized 2x12 cab, with the following exceptions:
1.) The Bogner has a 1 piece back
2.) The Bogner has a post connecting the front baffle with the back panel (the Mojo could have this as well, but not with the 3 piece back option I ordered it with)
3.) The Bogner's front baffle is slightly more angled than the Mojo.

You should also be aware that Mojo builds the cabs for a number of "production" and "boutique" amp companies. They are not a "budget" shop; instead, Mojo is a highly respected manufacturer of cabs that many companies quietly outsource their production to.

All in all, the Mojo is built extremely well, sounds fantastic, is attractively priced and you can customize them for a negligible upcharge.

I would not hesitate to buy another. In fact, I might just do that shortly.....

I have two Mojo straight 4x12s and a Bogner Ubercab and they are essentially identical. All you have to do to make the Mojo equivalent to a Bogner is add a screw through the back panel into the baffle brace and staple 1" polyfil batting to the back panel to reduce standing waves.

Marykelly":33idz4he said:
I have two Mojo straight 4x12s and a Bogner Ubercab and they are essentially identical. All you have to do to make the Mojo equivalent to a Bogner is add a screw through the back panel into the baffle brace and staple 1" polyfil batting to the back panel to reduce standing waves.

I actually put Dacron batting/polyfil in my Mojo. Left it in there for about 2 months.....it tightened up the sound at gig volume and seemed to roll off the highs. I really liked it. However, it made the cab sound kind of dead/flat at lower volumes so I took it out.

Wow! Thanks for all of the great info. I know the mojo cabs are quality built, but was curious if the way they constructed them made a difference in sound compared to the Bogner. Sounds like my question was answered that they in fact rank right up there.

Sometimes I have to fight my OCD urge for the cabs to match the heads, especially when I think I can save a few bucks shopping smart and getting just as good a cab as some name brands.

-Jason

Yep I have a mojo and i have owned an uber and now have one at my practice space. The mojo is awesome and a much btter value! Certainly not knocking ubercab's but they aint cheap!!

I live an hour away from Mojo HQ and I am fighting to get a 4x12 right now (need to sell an unloaded, beat to shit 4x12 Marshall AX slant).

I want their British 4x12 straight replica badly.

As previously mentioned, I just ordered one in early July and it was delivered to me during the last week of August.

I think it's going to be worth the wait. I went ahead and ordered one and will pick it up when it's ready. It will give me a good excuse to visit a friend that lives near Mojo. Shipping was crazy expensive!

-Jason

nwright":2gmv8y50 said:
So are Bogner cabs made by Mojo?

They are made by a west coast company. Pacific Woodworking was the one I heard a while back but that may have changed. I believe it was the same company that made the US Diezel cabs which are also the same as a bogner with the exception of recessed handles (actually recessed into the sides about 1/8") and offset stereo jack panel in the back.

Yes, I am going to reincarnate an old dead thread. The Bogner and Mojo cabs are nothing alike. The bogner cab uses a bit sturdier construction and as a result feels a bit louder and brighter with identical speaker setups. The mojo cab has a little bit more "give" to it resulting in a more vintage tone. I have used bogner cabs exclusively since 2004 and now that I have owned a mojo cab, it sees most of the playing time. I'mnot saying its better, but for me, using standard tuning and vintage voiced high gain, it has dethroned the Bogner. That being said. be prepared to drill a hole in the back baffle into the brace for reinforcement. This seems to be common form most people that have owned them as stock, they will rattle with low end if pushed hard . Once that is done, these are seriously good cabs,

also, from my research, I think Bogner cabs are mad by https://vboutiqueusa.com/

scottosan":1qhqovde said:
Yes, I am going to reincarnate an old dead thread. The Bogner and Mojo cabs are nothing alike. The bogner cab uses a bit sturdier construction and as a result feels a bit louder and brighter with identical speaker setups. The mojo cab has a little bit more "give" to it resulting in a more vintage tone. I have used bogner cabs exclusively since 2004 and now that I have owned a mojo cab, it sees most of the playing time. I'mnot saying its better, but for me, using standard tuning and vintage voiced high gain, it has dethroned the Bogner. That being said. be prepared to drill a hole in the back baffle into the brace for reinforcement. This seems to be common form most people that have owned them as stock, they will rattle with low end if pushed hard . Once that is done, these are seriously good cabs,

also, from my research, I think Bogner cabs are mad by https://vboutiqueusa.com/

Interesting. I have a Bogner OS 2x12 and am thinking to try a Friedman and Diezel to compare them. I found a Mojo British 2x12 with the convertible back and am quite curious about it. I like cabs that have convertible backs where I can run the bottom-third panel open. To me, they still thump hard and bloom vs. when the middle or top panel are open.

I had one and for me it wasn't that great. I did notice that the speakers in my Mojo 4x12 were spaced closer to the center and Marshall cabs I have (and had at the time) had them spaced more towards the corners. Not sure how much if any difference that makes but I found my Mojo to be more beamy and boomy. I traded it to another R/T member and he flipped it shortly after. I never did screw the center brace though...should have tried that.

From hat I understand, the Mojo cabs are built with actual finger joints on the corners, so they are inherently strong.

I am not sure if this is the same for the Bogner though?.....and I own a Bonger Anniversary straight 4x12

I am thinking about buying a new mojo-built straight 4x12, with heritage GB's......

I've had them both, scottosan actually owns my mojo 4x12 now. He is completely correct, they are nothing alike. Also the mojo 4x12 is not like a marshall 4x12 either.

The major difference is plywood thickness. The mojo 4x12 has slightly thinner than the normal 15mm ply you find in Bogner, and Marshall cabs. Therefor it gives a little, not
anything wrong with that, if that's what you're looking for. Glad Scott enjoys it, it wasn't my thing.

I had a Mojo 4x12 for years. I kept buying other cabs trying to get a better sound. Nothing ever sounded better than that cab. I tried Mesa, Marshall, Bogner, Splawn, Emperor, and many more that are fuzzy in my memory now. I really thought that the Bogner would beat it, but it just didn't.

Back