Langner Fans?

steve_k

Who all has owned/played a Langner DCP-1 Elite preamp? These things have the sweetest 80's/90's Marshall tone. No pedals required. Todd had his shit together when he designed these.

Unboxed it yesterday and running into the back end of a modded Marshall FX return. 2 foot-switchable channels and a foot-switchable fat boost. Played it at practice last night and I may just ditch the Axe FX this weekend in lieu of this rig. Just running a Boss DD3 up front for leads.

Oh Shit!. The miss my tube amps is starting :LOL: :LOL: I hear his pres are excellent. His modded Marshalls are rare and are supposed to be cool.

MississippiMetal":1y18hajm said:
I've seen the inside of a Marshall he modded and all I could say was :no:

Messy. Very messy.

Agreed.

What counts is if it sounds good. The Metalhead mods are much worse. :)

I've got a BFG modded JCA20 that I picked up used. I was told it was loosely based on a Langner mod. Not sure what it all entails, but this thing has a shit ton of gain. Gain knob on 2-3 is plenty for me even with single coils. It'll do '80's no problem.

FortinAmps":1n19sbaw said:
MississippiMetal":1n19sbaw said:
I've seen the inside of a Marshall he modded and all I could say was :no:

Messy. Very messy.

Agreed.

What counts is if it sounds good. The Metalhead mods are much worse. :)

Urinal cake mod haha :D

boost":1e2lvbu5 said:
I've got a BFG modded JCA20 that I picked up used. I was told it was loosely based on a Langner mod. Not sure what it all entails, but this thing has a shit ton of gain. Gain knob on 2-3 is plenty for me even with single coils. It'll do '80's no problem.
Don't you have the 20lb Hammer mod?

LP Freak":2asenq8l said:
boost":2asenq8l said:
Don't you have the 20lb Hammer mod?
I liked the clips of the 20lb hammer mod with a choke. Mine doesn't sound like that. Mine is something different and was sent back at least once for tweaking.

I got from gbsmusic on here. I remember him saying it was based on a Langner mod, but not sure what exactly that was or what was done. It can get pretty modern and heavy if need be.

Yeah....the Langner is great. Mine always sounded best going into the power section of my 72 Superlead. The DCP-1 and the Marshalls power sections were just a great combo, really one of my favorite tones ive ever been able to muster up.

I know a couple guys who have JCM800's modded to the specs of a certain famous Langner modded Marshall by someone who got inside said famous Langner amp. And I can honestly say I've never heard more gain from a JCM800 in my life. Tight, controlled, and really quiet, with more gain on 2 than any stock 800 on 10. Best heavy metal Marshall tone i've ever heard by far. Too bad he quit modding so long ago. :(

That's the same guy I bought mine from a year or so ago. Mine is 220v which isn't a big deal, but a good seller and a fair price. Someone should jump on that if your in the market.

Well, as they say, "the AxeFX can create any tone in your head". But they never tell you as long as it's not a real tone you can really hear that is in your head.

Back