EMG 57 and 66?

FondledDuck

Anybody have any experience with these new pickups from EMG? How do they compare to an 81 and 85 combo?

I had a 57. For EMG's stuff, it's by far my favorite. Supposedly they are more vintage voiced with more of a PAF feel. I'd agree, but it's a slim margin vs. EMG's other offerings.

While they may not be everyone's taste and the name scares people away, GuitarFetish's new REDactive series is by far my favorite actives to date. I've replaced the 57 and 81's in my main guitars in favor of the GFS's. Running them at 18 volts is even better. Warm but with nice high end, nice dynamics and the typical active clarity and quietness.

That's what I'm wondering myself.... Compared to the "standard" ones... I'm considering swapping the pickups on my Explorer for EMG's and I'm considering the 57/66 since they're more PAF-voiced instead of full-on metal machines... I play stuff ranging from Van Halen to Yngwie (well, getting into that realm anyway, ha)... Any guys in that realm have any experiences with those for that?

I tried these in a ESP Eclipse and thought they sounded very shrill and bright. Almost like they were voiced for a very dark mahogany guitar (les paul etc) Which is mostly what they were designed for based on their name and guitars they seem to be directed at. The Eclipse is not as dark as a Les Paul, thus the reason they didn't work for me. Put in Het Set and that was much better.

But for the Heavy mahogany dark guitars they probably work great.

Imo the 57 sits in between an 81 and 85 with a slightly more passive or dynamic feel. Its not jight and day difference between the 57 and the typical 81 or 85 tone. Its better imo but still not a drastic difference

Back